Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Has any country ever sent the US aid/money when we had a natural disaster? Just wondering?
I'm not certain of this, so don't hold me to it. I have a vague memory of assistance being offered from outiside of the U.S. when Katrina hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,437,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I believe there was aid offered in the wake of some of the worst hurricanes (Andrew, Katrina, etc...) but I do not have links.

We know there was world wide aid offered to the US immediately following the rig explosion and early oil leak from the BP gulf well, however, wanting to capitalize politically on an environmental crisis, Obama refused international help.

In times of human suffering the United States has always been there to provide aid and humanitarian food/medical support regardless of the political position held by the government of the country affected; of this, we have every right to be proud.

I find it sad that the country that gives the most to others is hated the most. Very sad. I do recall hearing about the BP mess help being offered but I don't recall hearing anything at any other time. Very telling indeed.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Naseer Warraich, of the Association of Pakistani Canadians, said his organization has so far been able to raise only $30,000 toward it’s $1-million fundraising goal, and that he is still trying to figure out why.

“Nobody was expecting such big damage. But, from what I’m seeing, the response is slow compared to Haiti and other disasters,” he said.
Why Western donors are snubbing Pakistan after giving to Haiti - The Globe and Mail

Hard not to be moved by that first photograph.
Where is the Bin Ladin Donation ? They hid him from justice , you would think he would show his thanks now .
You pick your friends better next time Pakistan .

Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times
Someone mentioned its the christian thing to do and then someone asked where are the muslim countries.
As I recall,Jesus didn't ask any questions,he just gave.
So much for a christian nation.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Someone mentioned its the christian thing to do and then someone asked where are the muslim countries.
I am sure you didn't bother to look into all the Christians helping Muslims . You just post away "someone woooweee said cristie thingie "
Remember the Christians killed in Afghanistan? Last week ?
Christian Aid Workers Killed in Afghanistan | Liveblog | Christianity Today

Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I'm not certain of this, so don't hold me to it. I have a vague memory of assistance being offered from outiside of the U.S. when Katrina hit.
Yes, many countries offered.
International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Katrina Aid From Overseas Went Unclaimed - washingtonpost.com

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I am sure you didn't bother to look into all the Christians helping Muslims . You just post away "someone woooweee said cristie thingie "
Remember the Christians killed in Afghanistan? Last week ?
Christian Aid Workers Killed in Afghanistan | Liveblog | Christianity Today
Dumb enough to go into a war zone alone?

What does this have to do with the disaster in Pakistan?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,437,275 times

Thank you for the links. I am glad to see that some countries did indeed attempt to help.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Naseer Warraich, of the Association of Pakistani Canadians, said his organization has so far been able to raise only $30,000 toward it’s $1-million fundraising goal, and that he is still trying to figure out why.

“Nobody was expecting such big damage. But, from what I’m seeing, the response is slow compared to Haiti and other disasters,” he said.
Why Western donors are snubbing Pakistan after giving to Haiti - The Globe and Mail

Hard not to be moved by that first photograph.
Its not getting the press, so many aren't aware of it.

I've donated the same amount of money to Pakistan, as I did Haiti, but I stay on top of the news. I only hope it'll convince the people over there, that not all of us hate them.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Dumb enough to go into a war zone alone?

What does this have to do with the disaster in Pakistan?
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u

I was reacting to this post , did you not read it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies