Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times

Advertisements

Ozgal, "No, this is not a utopia. It's still a helluva lot better than a lot of other countries."

Yes it is better than alot of other countries. The United States is not a Utopia, but it is still a helluva lot better than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I think the world could have done without: Hiroshima, Nagasaki,
Personally, I think the world could have done without the Holocaust, Fascism and two world wars. But I guess that's just crazy old me.

Boy that was dumb Leisesturm!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
[quote=TomDot;15539603]
Quote:

Personally, I think the world could have done without the Holocaust, Fascism and two world wars. But I guess that's just crazy old me.

Mmmm...ok, since you are so much smarter than me, why didn't we use the A-bomb on Hitler? Since nuclear weapons are so effective, why haven't we used any on Iraq? Afghanistan? I'll take my answer(s) off the air.

H

Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
[quote=TomDot;15539603]
Quote:

Hey, this is america and we don't think that way here!

This is what we believe:

YouTube - WAR! It's fantastic!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Ozgal, "No, this is not a utopia. It's still a helluva lot better than a lot of other countries."

Yes it is better than alot of other countries. The United States is not a Utopia, but it is still a helluva lot better than most.
Of course it is! I mean, its clear that the list is mistitled because as you get into the upper middle of the rankings there isn't any 'best' designation that applies. That's why the defensiveness is amusing. Still, it is revealing and cautionary because it shows what a continued shift of wealth towards our countries upper classes will do to our overall relevance and international posture. It matters, ask Japan. How typically American, however, to trash the messenger and not get the message.

H

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Canada and Germany had more Gold medals than the US. Pretty good considering Canada has only 10% of the US population and Germany only ~25% of the US population.
Russell is not my boy and what does it have to do with Katy Perry's bad music?
The population argument is flawed. If population was that important, why doesn't India dominate sports? Why does China not always win (when they aren't cheating?). Not many people in the southern United States play Hockey or any other winter games due to many factors (like weather).

(As for the Russell Brand issue, it's my mistake. I thought that you are from the UK. I was reading someone else's location and for some reason thought it was you. Katy Perry is indeed awful, but then again you guys love David Hasselhoff)

Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So wouldnt it make sense that people from around the world would be flocking to the top ten in ? Why does everyone want to settle for #11? Best Countries in the World - Newsweek
Just proves the point that beauty is totally and 100% in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

I am so sad for some of you. You are so locked into your mediocre, material, American way of life you don't even realize that you aren't really living. The average European may have less disposable income than the average American but s/he is likely 30 IQ points up on the average American, and with that is able to extract a much higher standard of living from a given salary than the average American. Not owning an F150 is a $15K/yr. raise in salary. Tax free. No fast food habit? 7K/yr! Starts to add up. You think we make this stuff up? Quietly and without much fanfare Americans are slipping away. Godspeed (you know what I mean), enlightened ones. The rest of you, get a clue. This is a teaching moment. The world is watching.

H
My, how pretentious and holier than thou you are. Tell us poor, stupid ignorant Americans exactly how we can change, oh Masterful One! Please tell me how my (and the rest of my fellow Americans) lives are "mediocre"? How do you know if we are really "living"? Define what "living" is? Sounds to me that you are pretty miserable. I guess the "enlightened ones" are those that agree with your stance?

If we are as bad as you say we are, than why on earth would the world be watching instead of not giving a damn? Why would one care anyway?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
The question includes an assumption that is just not correct. There are a lot of people who do not want to live in the US, And of those who do, many go for reasons like:
- most people speak English anyway, so the US is way easier than Finland (Finnish for instance is an extremely complicated language)
- climate. If it weren't for that Canada would see many more immigrants knocking at her doors. Even within the US most immigrants prefer the sun belt.
- most countries in the top 10 are more difficult to move to because of immigration laws.
- the attraction of the myth

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
[quote=Leisesturm;15539788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

Mmmm...ok, since you are so much smarter than me, why didn't we use the A-bomb on Hitler? Since nuclear weapons are so effective, why haven't we used any on Iraq? Afghanistan? I'll take my answer(s) off the air.

H
I didn't say you were dumb, I said your comment was dumb. I will retract it and say that you didn't think before you typed.

Anyway, the US didn't use the Atom bomb until August of 1945, which I assume was the earliest that it was available for use. This was more than 4 months after Germany surrendered and more than 11 months after the Allies had penetrated the Siegfried Line. So atomic weaponry was simply not necessary.
Read up on the Battle of Okinawa to find out why Truman felt the need to use the bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies