Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
And yet another wonderful, intelligent post.

Sometimes simplicity says it all.
Do you approve of what he did to get out of the draft?
Quote:
Yeah, just let everyone else kill it for ya.

Then you can buy it at the store in a nice, clean, blood free package.
I guess you didn’t read PureNarcotics statement: Hunting as a sport is, to me, the mark of a coward. There is nothing manly about killing an animal for any reason other than self defense or food/clothing.

And some of us are vegetarians; we like animals, we don't eat them.

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-18-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When I hear the expression "immature buck" I picture a yearling, and no hunter I know would kill a yearling. Well, unless its a kid and they'll kill anything their first few times out, because they get worked up over it.

Secondly, when did I criticize the methods? I said that I personally have no problem with baiting. I've done it before. But I'm not a California resident, and I'm not going to tell them how to run their hunting programs either.

About the "other states" having different definitions. I know growing up in Tennessee, you couldn't hunt Doe at all, during gun season. Any bucks were fair game. Now they are so over populated, that you can hunt pretty much anything.

I don't know Mr. Nugent, but I know he's an attention *****, and if he's on TV, and the only deer they've seen all day, he's going to shoot the yearling. While that may be legal in one state, it wasn't legal in California, and he should have known that. Bad example to young sportsmen out there if you ask me.

I don't know what he does with his game, thats why I asked that question.

And about the roasts. Many people can cook out the "gamey" taste in a roast, while you can't in steaks, or burger, or other parts of the deer. I've seen whole deer laying in ditches with the back roasts cut off with a knife, and the rest left to rot. Damned sorry hunters IMO.

Again, I have no problem with hunting, I'm a hunter, and I'll bag a deer or two this year myself hopefully. I just don't like it when someone doesn't follow the rules of the state they are in, and when they hunt yearling deer.
Another view.....

I hate waste too, we eat what we kill.

However, the deer that is left to "rot" is still in the food chain.

Something will eat it.

I never looked at it that way until one night a bow hit deer just plain got away from us. We looked for hours.

I was very upset, then our uncle told me some wild animal would be happy. He was right, not first choice.

Still the deer was in the food chain.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Another view.....

I hate waste too, we eat what we kill.

However, the deer that is left to "rot" is still in the food chain.

Something will eat it.

I never looked at it that way until one night a bow hit deer just plain got away from us. We looked for hours.

I was very upset, then our uncle told me some wild animal would be happy. He was right, not first choice.

Still the deer was in the food chain.
While it may be "in the food chain" often its the best deer that people will kill. I'll admit, I'll hold out for a 12 point over a 6 point myself.

The problem with the "food chain" approach, is that it takes natural selection out. Instead of the weakest, smallest, poorest examples of the animals being taken down before breeding, we are taking the strongest, biggest, and healthiest animals from the breeding population.

I like big bucks, thats why I don't like waste.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM

720 posts, read 690,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Then don't, but like you, others make a choice to like animals AND eat them...

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
I have no problem with the baiting, its just a new form of hunting, as long as you don't go over your limit, whats the problem?

I do think he shouldn't have shot an immature buck though. You just don't shoot fawns, or yearlings. But, California isn't my state, and Ted should know the state laws before hunting there.
Baiting is not a new form of hunting it has been around for eons. Many states allow for Spike hunting which is what this deer was. It could have been more than a yearling. However Ted should have known the rules as you stated.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Then don't, but like you, others make a choice to like animals AND eat them...

I love animals....with lots of garlic and butter.

Funny.

I'm sure all these vegetarians are makin' sure that the clothes they purchase are all synthetic.

That hunting is pure insanity and wabbits are cool at Eastertime.

Eggs are people too!

Fish are kinda cute, in their own way......

Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
YAZ

Quote:
While it may be "in the food chain" often its the best deer that people will kill. I'll admit, I'll hold out for a 12 point over a 6 point myself.

The problem with the "food chain" approach, is that it takes natural selection out. Instead of the weakest, smallest, poorest examples of the animals being taken down before breeding, we are taking the strongest, biggest, and healthiest animals from the breeding population.

I like big bucks, thats why I don't like waste.
so.....maybe hunting regs should be a 'lil more open......allow for the weak ones to be taken?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM

720 posts, read 690,947 times
Quote:
I love animals....with lots of garlic and butter.

Funny.

I'm sure all these vegetarians are makin' sure that the clothes they purchase are all synthetic.

That hunting is pure insanity and wabbits are cool at Eastertime.

Eggs are people too!

Fish are kinda cute, in their own way......
LOL....

eggs are people too....LMAO!! sorry to break the seriousness guys, but that was funny!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
And you're not being much of a "Hunter's Advocate" by slamming methods different from your own. I don't understand how one can "not like the taste, but keep the roast" comment......but I'll let it rest for now.

Keep in mind that some states don't allow the taking of anything but "bucks with big racks", so that reinforces the trophy buck syndrome. I've munched on venison my whole life, and still can't tell the difference between male or female venison. Go figure.

Ifya see Mr. Nugent whack a yearling, it's a safe bet that he's done the research on the area he's hunting. Too many yearlings in a small area can wreak havoc, as I'm sure you know.....being an avid outdoorsman.

It's also a safe bet that the very nutritious game he kills does not go to waste. Pleez show me that I'm grasping at straws here.
I am a life long Hunter and the Nuge screwed up plain and simple. You need to read the link I posted earlier. His hunt was set up by a local in the zone I hunt in. Ted took some horrible shots that most self respecting bow hunters would never take. I cant stand the anti-hunting nazis but Ted blew this one big time.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sometimes simplicity says it all.
Do you approve of what he did to get out of the draft?

I guess you didn’t read PureNarcotics statement: Hunting as a sport is, to me, the mark of a coward. There is nothing manly about killing an animal for any reason other than self defense or food/clothing.

The draft?

Let the record show that Uncle Ted has already stated that humor played a huge role in his statement. Like many others, he enrolled in a community college to "escape". He has since publicly acknowledged that he regrets his decision.

what more do ya want?

He is now a big supporter of our women & men in the armed forces. Has been for awhile. Any of your "heroes" part of the USO?

Be a vegan all ya want; your choice.

Just make sure no animals were hurt makin' yer perfume, clothes, shampoo, milk, eggs, broccoli, cheese, mousse, finger nail polish, car, gas, oil, soap, wine, lettuce, and paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies