Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,180,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You didnt.
That's right I didn't.

Quote:
*again, i find it terrible when people lie about their service.
We agree on that and that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,654,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Why do you disagree with the decision? I think the court got it right. We already have laws against fraud. Passing one regulating speech directly is a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Thats a great way to get your point across.

Seriously tho ... we can't pick and chose when we want our "rights" to work for us. Yes, lying about prior service is awful. But again, you can't pick and choose.

It is also my understanding that it is still illegal to misrepresent yourself by using the uniform, which I agree with.
if it is no longer a crime to claim an award you didnt earn, then where does it stop? can i claim that i am a cop even though i am not? we have laws against that also. can i use that ruling to stay out of jail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What in hell are you people talking about?

You do know the difference between a fairy tale and a war story. One starts with "Once upon a time" and the other with "No s**t this really happened".

I can hardly believe some of the sh*t that happend in 'nam and I was there.
i know we disagree politically, but thank you for you service to this country. as a vet you must be seething anytime someone makes false claims about being in the service, or winning awards not earned. i know i am outraged and i was never in the service.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,681,171 times
The question is, how much does cost us the taxpayer in enforcement and court costs to "fight" a liar? What if they're deemed a compulsive liar, does that change anything?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,349,684 times
Free speech? None of these liars are exercising free speech.

The free speech defense is as weak as 'he only did it to impress his high school buddies at a reunion' as is being reported in the media.

They do this for personal gain. It is deception for monetary gain.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,096,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if it is no longer a crime to claim an award you didnt earn, then where does it stop?

It stops when your fantasy life affects someone else or their rights. Did you put it on an employment application, or were you just talking smack at a barbeque?

Big difference, and a difference already recognized in the law.

Quote:
can i claim that i am a cop even though i am not? we have laws against that also. can i use that ruling to stay out of jail?
Nope.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,096,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
[b]Free speech? None of these liars are exercising free speech.
If course they are, as long as no one else's rights are implicated. How would you go about making lying per se illegal? Who gets to decide? What's the penalty?

Think about it.

Quote:
The free speech defense is as weak as 'he only did it to impress his high school buddies at a reunion' as is being reported in the media.
And if he did, should he go to jail for it? Where does it stop?

Quote:
They do this for personal gain. It is deception for monetary gain.
Which is fraud, which is already a crime.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM

720 posts, read 688,555 times
I have to agree here with Strel. As much as it makes my blood boil to hear scum like this lying through their teeth about something I find to be very important, it is only fraud. The comparison to the being a cop doesn't really work either. Because claiming to be a LEO could quite possibly harm someone. Claiming to be a MOH winner, and not being one, strikes the heart, not the safety of people.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,499,398 times
Agreed with the two above posters.

As i've said previously in this thread ..... F*** people who lie about their service.

BUT ... it is not the same as lying about being a peace officer. Law enforcement officers have the sworn ability to enforce laws and temporarily deny someone of their freedoms. Service members do not.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM

23,339 posts, read 17,017,242 times
Default The 2nd honor to fall in the era of Obama

Next thing you know the Nobel Peace Surprise will be awarded for nothing!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,150,151 times
Exaggeration of a story of a career of an incident is nothing new in DC. Its what they do. Of course no one will pass a law against it because if they do they are all screwed.
John Kerry changed his story of Nam about as often as he changed his socks. It all depended upon the the crowd or the mood of the nation.
Hillary claimed to have ducked sniper fire. A bold faced lie if there ever was one.
Did Bush lie about his service? I don't know that he did but he sure omitted a few facts.
Politicians make a living by telling lies, omitting facts, or simply misrepresenting the facts.
Stolen valor? Whose valor was stolen? Was credit taken for anothers deeds? I saved 10 people in a fire fight. Fact is Joe Doe did it.
I believe very little of what any career politician has to say. Especially when it starts out with: If you vote for me I will ( fill in the blank).
The guy was an ass. Talk to Vets and you will here an exageration from 90% of them. They earned the right to tell their stories. I don't question my fellow vets very often. Why bother? B.S stories are a dime a dozen. Hunting fishing or first dates. 90% are lies from word 1. This guy got caught and the fall out will be his reward.
No laws are needed. We just need accurate reporting and voters to do a little home work before they vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies