Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times

Advertisements

Try public schools. Once, no twice i tried to work in the schools with DARE, doing woodland skill sets, and it was pitiful. None of the above could be used, and the authorities knew what the plan was. Deer skin leather bags sewn and beaded, copper jewelery, drums where tools and deer raw were what the drums were made of and it ended as i had to make it all for each kid, because they were not allowed to use any tools at all. Now I see no reason why a kid can't sew, and use real scissors. And if you think I would turn a child loose with a Swedish carbon tool steel gouges and chisels which they would ruin in a instant, well that would just not happen.

Aged 10 to 14. Just about now these PC places are nearing ready to ban fingers. You can never tell who will be shot from a pointed finger, and or a drawing. Little kid draws a picture of dad in the mil and gets BUSTED. i guess a pict of dad drawn with a few crayons, they fear dads gun might just go off.

IMO anything deemed strong, remotely sharp and etc will all be banned one day, Probably bean counters will need a carry permit to carry a ink pen, and you just look out fer paper cuts. A slip of paper might be lethal.

And no, I didn't make a bloomin thing up. Libs are forever blaming the tool, and not the user. It's what they do I guess, because they can't use tools with out hurting themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Try public schools. Once, no twice i tried to work in the schools with DARE, doing woodland skill sets, and it was pitiful. None of the above could be used, and the authorities knew what the plan was. Deer skin leather bags sewn and beaded, copper jewelery, drums where tools and deer raw were what the drums were made of and it ended as i had to make it all for each kid, because they were not allowed to use any tools at all. Now I see no reason why a kid can't sew, and use real scissors. And if you think I would turn a child loose with a Swedish carbon tool steel gouges and chisels which they would ruin in a instant, well that would just not happen.

Aged 10 to 14. Just about now these PC places are nearing ready to ban fingers. You can never tell who will be shot from a pointed finger, and or a drawing. Little kid draws a picture of dad in the mil and gets BUSTED. i guess a pict of dad drawn with a few crayons, they fear dads gun might just go off.

IMO anything deemed strong, remotely sharp and etc will all be banned one day, Probably bean counters will need a carry permit to carry a ink pen, and you just look out fer paper cuts. A slip of paper might be lethal.

And no, I didn't make a bloomin thing up. Libs are forever blaming the tool, and not the user. It's what they do I guess, because they can't use tools with out hurting themselves.
You never mentioned school, you just said "libs" want to ban these things. You're saying, blame the 10 year old for cutting his finger off in woodshop class? Maybe.. of course they may also be banning these things as a business decision, to avoid lawsuits..

Conservatives or "cons" also tend to want to ban things in school, like sex education, free condoms, any mention of gays living in society, the theory of evolution.. etc.

The "cons" also want to blame the tool not the user when it comes to many things as well - for example, drugs. You working for a DARE program makes this ironic. It's the users' fault if they do drugs they can't handle, not the drug.

I'm with you, let's go back to the old days of personal accountability!

Last edited by LogicIsYourFriend; 08-22-2010 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: editing for the sake of editing

Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Actually no, I too took basic with an M-1. The reason the Army moved on was that while it was an excellent rifle at 500 yards, hunting deer, at shorter ranges the jacketed bullets tending to go right through cleanly without a kill
A whole lot of dead Germans, Japanese, North Koreans, and ChiComs would rather confirm the effectiveness of a 30 caliber bullet at any range. Because of Geneva Convention rules, bullets were required to be full metal jacketed, and yes, they were over penetrative. Still, they would expend a lot of energy in a man even though they may have gone completely through him. This is one of the strong points of a .30-06 or .308 fmj bullet, its great penetration ability. They will go right through a barrier or obstacle that would easily stop the much lighter 5.56 mm round. Afghanistan is proving the need for larger caliber, longer range rifles. The "spray and pray" tactics used in the jungles of Viet Nam with M-16s do not work in the mountains of Afghanistan where the bad guys are often hunkered down behind rocks 4 or 5 hundred yards away.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
You never mentioned school, you just said "libs" want to ban these things. You're saying, blame the 10 year old for cutting his finger off in woodshop class? Maybe.. of course they may also be banning these things as a business decision, to avoid lawsuits..

Conservatives or "cons" also tend to want to ban things in school, like sex education, free condoms, any mention of gays living in society, the theory of evolution.. etc.

The "cons" also want to blame the tool not the user when it comes to many things as well - for example, drugs. You working for a DARE program makes this ironic. It's the users' fault if they do drugs they can't handle, not the drug.

I'm with you, let's go back to the old days of personal accountability!
3 orders of personal accountability please. I will stand with that comment sir.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 PM

I may be incorrect, but I believe some states do not allow hunting rnds to be full mil ball or full metal jacket. That type of round does not do well as game getter, on most North American game.

My opinion of the mil rnds is to stop and not kill a man, who is bound by other men to legally fight war. I have a lot of problems with that idea, and am trying to be delicate. If typical hunting rnds were used in war there probably would be more kills than there are.

Personaly I think wars come from the failure of poly tic leechs who see gain in sending men to war, when it really should be just the 2 leaders who are so designed to fight a war. I would say let them stand on the field of honor at dawn, and select weapons as was once done legally, and call that war.

Maybe then there would be less war. War doesn't really have much to do with weapons which is as odd, and sounds insane.

Man created war and so created weapons. The first man had a stick or a stone, and so did the other, and from then on, the stick and the stone has improved vastly.

I knapp flint, so I shoot guns. Nothin new.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Interesting that the Koreans would want to unload these weapons here when they would be illegal in the ROK. I guess they would rather have them here than there.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'd like to hear from an American news outlet, or the BBC, or any other news agency from a respectable publication.

The Korean times, really?

If its real, it'll be in more news sources.
Why would the US media, which is the voice of the Ruling Elite, want to publicize yet another broken promise (boldfaced lie) by the Obama Administration. They're the ones who TELL the sheeple who to vote for, and don't start slamming the Administration until they're priming us for a change of Party (even though both Parties do the same thing, they like to give us the illusion of choice).

I'd trust foreign sources way more than the voice of the Powers-That-Be, the US media.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 PM

57,220 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You didn't read my post then. Do a google search for various military guns like those I listed, you'll find them still being imported. Including garands. And you clearly missed my point on the sporting purposes clause; the GCA is written on the basis of only "sporting" guns being non-NFA, the SCOTUS has made it clear the second amendment is not limited to sporting purposes. We just barely got the precedents to overturn that. Have some patience, it will be overturned in the near future, but the focus now is on states that restrict gun rights.

It's Obama's administration behind this. His administration has blocked the import.
Obviously there have been military imports but I am sure there are restrictions. I would expect the GCA was created for exactly this type of situation, they don't want to have to deal with the distribution of 100,000 M1's and that was why the law was created back in 1968. This does not prohibit someone from owning a firearm so I don't see how the 2nd amendment issue.

The right wing has been making unsubstantiated contentions that Obama was going to take away their guns so I am sure they will play up what is really an bothe an insignificant and sensible decision. I wonder if he even knew about this. If the NRA wants to argue 2nd amendment on this one good luck.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
A whole lot of dead Germans, Japanese, North Koreans, and ChiComs would rather confirm the effectiveness of a 30 caliber bullet at any range. Because of Geneva Convention rules, bullets were required to be full metal jacketed, and yes, they were over penetrative. Still, they would expend a lot of energy in a man even though they may have gone completely through him. This is one of the strong points of a .30-06 or .308 fmj bullet, its great penetration ability. They will go right through a barrier or obstacle that would easily stop the much lighter 5.56 mm round. Afghanistan is proving the need for larger caliber, longer range rifles. The "spray and pray" tactics used in the jungles of Viet Nam with M-16s do not work in the mountains of Afghanistan where the bad guys are often hunkered down behind rocks 4 or 5 hundred yards away.
All good points and valid.
If the .223 or 5.56 is effective then why is it banned in many states for use hunting deer or larger animals? Could it be because it is just as likely to only maim or wound an animal?
The reason for the 5.56 as I have said before was primarily due to the fact that it is cheaper to manufacture by about half. 2nd you can load more in a comparable sized magazine.
It had nothing to do with ballistics.
Example.
the .308 150 gr bullet energy at 50 yds 2550 pounds per sq inch
100 yds 2166
200 yds 1791
The .223 60 gr bullet energy at 50 yds 989 pounds per sq inch
100 yds 877
200 yds 682
Energy = destructive power of the bullet. The effectivness of the bullet to kill the bad guys.
There really is no comparing the 2.
Most guys who would buy 1 of these rifles would want it for a collectors piece. Myself included.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Tinman, NH allows the .223, for deer, basicly any centerfire rnds are legal, but I doubt the .17's in center fire are. I don't own either type of gun, so I am not certain either, but last I knew all center fire rnds were legal here. That just means one state.

I wouldn't hunt deer with the .233 personally. I simply doubt the engery potential. For the same reason i won't use my .40 cal flinter rifle on deer or larger game, while in NH it is the smallest legal size.

There is no question the 30-06 rnd can as well as the .308 rnd.

All the Govt gets to decide is the import, after that private industy does every bit of the rest.

These Garands are C&R relics and should come under C&R law. So it is just a simple case of big Govt BS. and for no other reasons than they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies