Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The rifles fall under the classification of curios and relics due to their age. That is a BATFE classification. It has nothing to do with the rifles being sold as display objects only. There is more information available on C&R status here; ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Curios & Relics

If the rifles are sold as a firing firearm the importers and retailers have liability.
Your last line says it all. Why would importers sell "curios and relics" as firing firearms and undertake that liability at all? And yet, just on this thread alone, there have been posters saying that they would use these firearms for hunting. People buy drugs all the time and use them for unintended purposes. And those "unintended" purposes are really defined for liability reasons.

If the weapons are in such great shape, why doesn't the Korean government protest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,997,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your last line says it all. Why would importers sell "curios and relics" as firing firearms and undertake that liability at all? And yet, just on this thread alone, there have been posters saying that they would use these firearms for hunting. People buy drugs all the time and use them for unintended purposes. And those "unintended" purposes are really defined for liability reasons.

If the weapons are in such great shape, why doesn't the Korean government protest?
I suggest you look at the link I posted explaining what curios and relics means if you actually have an interest in understanding. It's obvious my ability to explain it to someone not familiar with it is lacking.

As to why the Korean government doesn't protest...what is there for them to protest? There have been no assertions that the rifles are in poor condition. They are being marketed as arsenal grade weapons. All interested parties on both sides of the sale understand what that means.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,790,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whether you have a bit of knowledge or not, I don't know. But I do know you are being deliberately obtuse. So far, you have compared this GUN to cars and antiques. Deliberate obtuseness is disingenuous and transparently shallow. It doesn't matter if the majority of these guns are fine. The fact remains, and has been made clear by the other posters on this thread, that people are interested in purchasing them not only as collectors items, but for the purpose of using them. And considering their age, and the fact that we do not know how they were stored and maintained for more than fifty years, the safety of them is a legitimate concern. And you saying pshaw doesn't make that not so. If you can guarantee that they don't pose a risk to the public safety, because of age and condition, then go for it. But you can't guarantee that, can you? YOU CAN'T GUARANTEE IT. So go on down to the Gun Store, or check on Craigslist or Ebay, and find one of these guns that is already in the United States. But your shallow outrage because Korea won't be importing old and questionable weapons into the United States is pretty implausible.
Apparently you are under an illusion that life comes with guarantees. Sorry to break it to you, but, it does not.

Furthermore there is nothing in the Second Amendment that states: "The right to keep and bear arms can be infringed upon, in the name of public safety, whenever any chance of mechanical failure cannot be guaranteed."

Not obtuse at all.

These firearms are antiques and are classified as such by BATFE as curio & relics.
ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - Curios or Relics List

Firearms Curios or Relics List

A regulation implementing Federal firearms laws, 27 CFR Section 478.11, defines C&R firearms as those which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
  1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
  2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
  3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event
As to using cars for a safety comparison:

Are vehicular accidents not one of the leading cause of work-place death in this country?
CDC - Motor Vehicle Safety - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Motor vehicle-related incidents are consistently the leading cause of work-related fatalities in the United States. Of approximately 5,700 fatalities annually reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 35% are associated with motor vehicles. Between 2002-2008, on average:
  • 1354 workers died each year from crashes on public highways
  • 324 workers died each year in crashes that occurred
    off the highway or on industrial premises.
  • 358 pedestrian workers died each year as a result of being struck by a motor vehicle.
ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Publications/Provisional/nvsr58_19/table18.pdf (broken link)

Estimated unintentional vehicular deaths (all transport) in the USA for 2007 were: 46,067 or a rate of 15.3 per 100,000 (not age adjusted)

Estimated unintentional firearms deaths in the USA for 2007 were: 613 or a rate of 0.2 per 100,000 (not age adjusted)

Which is the greatest threat to public safety by accidental/unintentional death by CDC death rates?

The comparison to cars is completely appropriate since this is the single most often used argument by gun control proponents insisting upon legislation for the registration of firearms, licensing of firearms owners, and taxation fees upon annual firearms licensees per firearm.

The restriction on the import or selling of firearms is equally restrictive to the Second Amendment and the right of the people to keep and bear arms every bit as much as are zoning restrictions upon the building of houses of worship, "free-speech zones" and not allowing citizens to pray on publically owned property (steps of the Supreme Court) are a violation of the First Amendment.

My arguement obtuse? Hardly. On the other hand, your arguement has been measured, tried, and found wanting.

Buh bye.....

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-18-2010 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,605,742 times
Obama did this without the Congress?
Sure he did

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-18-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,297,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This was the original article I saw posted on C/D a few months back, sweetcheeks.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Korean war rifles sold back to US
Ok, but that doesn't give any reason on why they were stopped.

You see, like Paul Harvey, I'm waiting for "the rest of the story"

Lets here why they were blocked before we pass judgement. They might be in poor condition, could be lots of reasons.

Before I cast the full stone, I want to know why I'm doing it. The Korean times saying that they blocked them isn't good enough.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Tell me why anyone needs these guns? The thought of these bozo's getting their hands on these doesn't sound too good to me. I can jsut see one of them misfiring and then the gov being sued because it was them that ordered themn in the first place.
"Need" is not a requirement for the practice Constitutionally affirmed rights.

Bozo's? Who specifcially are the "bozo's" to whom you refer? Names?

As to what could happen? Do you fear what "could happen" everytime you walk out your front door? If so, you have an overactive imagination. If it happens only when thinking about firearms you have an irrational fear of inanimate objects (hoplophobe).

Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok, but that doesn't give any reason on why they were stopped.

You see, like Paul Harvey, I'm waiting for "the rest of the story"

Lets here why they were blocked before we pass judgement. They might be in poor condition, could be lots of reasons.

Before I cast the full stone, I want to know why I'm doing it. The Korean times saying that they blocked them isn't good enough.
The rest of the story has already been posted. Do your own research instead of requiring spoon feeding like a whining spoiled child.

Clue: United Nations Small Arms Disarmament Treaty & Hillary Clinton

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,297,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The rest of the story has already been posted. Do your own research instead of requiring spoon feeding like a whining spoiled child.

Clue: United Nations Small Arms Disarmament Treaty & Hillary Clinton
No, that was with the Korean thing. And, if its with a UN treaty, I guess we have to follow the rules. The only reason Marijuana is illegal, is because of a stupid UN treaty.

I don't like that one, you don't like this one.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, that was with the Korean thing. And, if its with a UN treaty, I guess we have to follow the rules. The only reason Marijuana is illegal, is because of a stupid UN treaty.

I don't like that one, you don't like this one.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO, the administration is blocking the sale of these to protect the sale of NEW guns by domestic makers or retailers.

C'mon people, follow the money. Our government is for sale. Instead of doing what's right, it's really there (these days) to protect vested interests, i.e., in this case to protect our arms makers and retailers from competition from abroad, and curry favor with our manufacturers.

As to whether or not these aged guns are really quality pieces, I'll leave that to those who know guns, but make no mistake, it's really about protecting U.S. makers and gun shops, who have no shortage of quality products to sell you.
There is no shortage of car dealerships either but people still buy a '57 Chevy or other old car to drive. Most shoppers at gun shops don't want an old gun. Same way most shoppers at car dealerships don't want an old car.

As far as safety, someone buying these guns will strip them down and check the quality of each and every part before shooting it. It's a gun, not a jet. I recently finished assembling an AR-15. It has slightly less than 200 parts total. It only takes a couple of hours to go from a box of parts to functioning rifle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies