Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times

Advertisements

I predict that it'll take a while for all the facts to come out...but when they do, we'll hear about the shady individuals who goaded the woman into her action. She didn't wake up one morning and say, "Hey, they can't tell me what to wear!" She was instructed--just wait, you'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I predict that it'll take a while for all the facts to come out...but when they do, we'll hear about the shady individuals who goaded the woman into her action. She didn't wake up one morning and say, "Hey, they can't tell me what to wear!" She was instructed--just wait, you'll see.
Agreed. She's just a pawn.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Agreed. She's just a pawn.
Yup. Lawyers all need a case to make a name for themselves, everything is continually attacked. The cases are getting stupider and stupider since there isn't a whole lot left on which they can hang their hats.

For other reasons besides this case, I recently was on the Disney website looking at employment information. They have a section that discusses their dress code for cast members, which the woman is considered, and they talk about the "Disney look" and why they do what they do. There is NOTHING demeaning about working behind the scenes, it's a huge part of the Disney operation, and this woman was offered such a position. The fact that she considers it punishment proves that she doesn't have a clue how Disney operates or what her lawsuit is really all about. Personally, I would hate to see a Disney cast member dressed in a way that made me think of religion, war, politics, conflict, etc. She argues that Disney just doesn't want her to "look Muslim", and she is right. And I support that.

This woman, and whoever is behind the lawsuit, are both full of it.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Hard for Disney to be the Happiest Place on Earth with Muslims around.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Your "office" is not a source of entertainment and escape for the public. People have a choice where to spend thier entertainment dollars. I personally do not feel as though a head scarf projects the image that Disney wants to promote, as Islamic Jihad is not a happy, fun loving issue.

If a worker cannot comply with the image Disney wants to project- fire them. What would you say if a Disney employee had a big swastika tatoo or had multiple body piercings? Islam has POLITICAL baggage that transmits an offensive message to many. When one is going to a theme park, you do not want to have this BS shoved down your throat.

Similarly, I would NEVER hire a Muslim with a head scarf to be my receptionist, as I am sure that our Jewish patients would be uncomfortable with that situation. If they were a Muslim and did not wear a head scarf, I would have no problem at all (why would anyone care?). There are two Muslim docs in our clinic (one female) and they do not wear offenisive Islamic attire, as they keep thier religion private, as it should be.
Chill.

I wasn't defending the Disney woman's actions, just scoffing at the idea that everyone who sees a Muslim woman in a head scarf doesn't automatically think jihad and beheadings. And this is New York City, where yes, Jews and Muslims (and Sikhs and Hindus and Christians) do end up working in the same offices. Our previous office was at the World Trade Center, and it was that way there, too. Our former office was taken down by just the sort of hate toward a particular group--in that case, all Americans--that is often promoted on these threads.

For the record, which I've said on here--if there is a dress code that goes with the job, it has to be respected or the person should get a job elsewhere. From what it says in the original article that started this thread, there is a union-contract issue going on, and that seems to have an awful lot to do with why this woman suddenly finds it a religious necessity to cover her hair.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For the record, which I've said on here--if there is a dress code that goes with the job, it has to be respected or the person should get a job elsewhere. From what it says in the original article that started this thread, there is a union-contract issue going on, and that seems to have an awful lot to do with why this woman suddenly finds it a religious necessity to cover her hair.
Yes, it's the union behind her pushing - but the union seems to have no issues with christians that can't wear crosses openly etc etc - or maybe THOSE workers aren't so easily led as this one...........

Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yup. Lawyers all need a case to make a name for themselves, everything is continually attacked. The cases are getting stupider and stupider since there isn't a whole lot left on which they can hang their hats.

For other reasons besides this case, I recently was on the Disney website looking at employment information. They have a section that discusses their dress code for cast members, which the woman is considered, and they talk about the "Disney look" and why they do what they do. There is NOTHING demeaning about working behind the scenes, it's a huge part of the Disney operation, and this woman was offered such a position. The fact that she considers it punishment proves that she doesn't have a clue how Disney operates or what her lawsuit is really all about. Personally, I would hate to see a Disney cast member dressed in a way that made me think of religion, war, politics, conflict, etc. She argues that Disney just doesn't want her to "look Muslim", and she is right. And I support that.

This woman, and whoever is behind the lawsuit, are both full of it.
I think she's doing it out of attention. Had she not been a muslim, she would have sought attention another way.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Her assertions are preposterous. The employer dictates what the dress code is. Everybody is expected to conform, no exceptions. Don't like it? Don't work there.

She was ok with the dress code for nearly two years. She's looking for a confrontation.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
first it will be head dress, then they will go for the gold full hijab.

perfect for concealing weapons and explosives..

Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
ROFL

The new Cinderella!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies