Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Obama's religion?
Christian 59 49.17%
Muslim 34 28.33%
Other 9 7.50%
Don't know 18 15.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
There should be another option " Could not care less".

I am not quite sure what his religion has to do with his aptitude . What aptitude has he shown for anything other than campaining?As long as he is tolerant of other religions ( or those who like myself are avowed Atheists) and not an extremist I really could not care less.

His kids go to a Quaker School , he goes to Church (really, where, Camp David?) so I would assume he is a Christian at least nominally like the vast majority of Christians who claim Christianity as their own. What he believes in is his own business and I simply do not understand this obsession Americans have with the religious belief of their politicians. Faith should be an introspective thing, something between, him and his conscience and his God ( or lack or therein). He certainly shows no signs of being a Muslim. Really? Did you miss his Ramadan dinner where he took a stance against Americans sensitivities for 9/11? Did you miss his directive that mission of the National Aeronautical & Space Association become a Muslim relations outreach?

I have many Muslim friends and not one of them would "hide" his religion. They are proud of it and would find it shameful to deny their religious affiliation.

Exactly what are the so called "signs" that Obama is a Muslim ? Not half baked paranoid conspiracy theories but facts and proof ? Grow up people and do not believe everything you think. it's dangerous and ill conceived. It is also dangerous and ill conceived to fail to question actions of this man occupying the Oval Office.

Why is it that Americans need all this religious reassurance that their leaders are not only religious but Christians ? I thought America was about freedom of and from religion. No, there is no Constitutional right to be free FROM religion.I do not see why one has to declare himself Christian to be electable nor why one has to wave one's patriotism in everyone's face at all times simply to be valued as a member of the political classes. The question is really did Obama lie specifically about his faith to get elected.

Who bloody cares what Obama believes in as long as he is not an extremist and fundamentalist ? As a member of the public I am more interested in economic policies, stances on education, health and employment, international policies, diplomatic skills, intelligence, integrity and the ability of my leader to be a good upstanding leader of my country. He's failed on that note.

Christians do worship the same God as the Muslims and the Jews. All three are Abrahamic religions and as such should find a commonality. Islam is not the enemy. Extremists and fundamentalist Islamists are. There is a huge difference and assigning simplistic labels is not terribly helpful and intellectually disingenuous at best.
Liars in our government are also the enemy and should not be tolerated. Duplicity should not be rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM

720 posts, read 691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
yeah during primaries people say the dumbest stuff during primaries where they are running against their party member, but it didnt work lol

and she's in his admin now so that worked out well
Yep!

It worked out just fine for the hypocrites...

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
yeah during primaries people say the dumbest stuff during primaries where they are running against their party member, but it didnt work lol

and she's in his admin now so that worked out well
Well Hillary would be in Satan's administration because she's power hungry but she still knew that Obama is a Muslim. She is one who doesn't care that he is.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Why would I care?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
100% of Muslims will say he is Muslim.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So why did Hillary Clinton bring it up during the campaign? Her campaign office even released pictures of him in full Islamic garb.

dude americans dont know the difference from traditional african garb and muslim clothing its very similar and those who claim to know and really dont need to **** because they know nothing; as always in parts of africa and in various tribes they wear clothes like that it protects you from heat. but wait theres more president bush has been seen in non christian garb when visiting other religos countries he also had on a yamaka

jewish news | Rockland Jewish Family Service (http://www.jewishfamilyservice.net/jewish-news/ - broken link)why-is-obama-wearing-a-yamaka-is-it-customary-for-a-non-jewish-male-to-wear-one-on-such-occasions-has-bush

Quote:
When politicians visit Israel it is customary for them to wear a kippah (Hebrew for skullcap, yarmulke is Yiddish) as a sign of respect, particularly if they visit the Kotel in Jerusalem or Yad Vashem (the Holocaust memorial museum)
McCain also wore one when he visited Israel, and there are pictures of Rudy Giuliani wearing one when addressing a Jewish congregation in a synagogue. It is expected that gentile visitors will cover their heads as a sign of respect.
References :
I am Israeli
no outrage there

african garb

Clinton’s camp knew that the average American doesn’t know what Obama is wearing in this photo is traditional Pakistani garb or traditional African dress! They see turban, turban, turban! We know that for a lot of Americans turban = terrorist.

Last edited by city414; 08-19-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 AM

571 posts, read 943,507 times
I don't care if he's Christian, Muslim, Atheist, or Pastafarian, I still don't like his policies. and that's what matters, not his religious life.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Liars in our government are also the enemy and should not be tolerated. Duplicity should not be rewarded.

You are like myself entitled to your views on his National policies . I happen to disagree with them but the issue here is about whether Obama is a Muslim. I have seen NO evidence that he is.

Not even a smidgen of remotely rational proof or statement of fact to that effect.

Not being a rabid anti-islam politician does not a Muslim make him.

I am staunchly Atheist ( and loathe all kinds of fundamentalism religious or ideological) and I believe trying to open a dialogue and extend an open hand to Muslims is a good thing. This hardly makes me a Muslim. I do not see why Obama not frothing at the mouth every time the word Muslim is uttered suddenly is proof that he is trying to turn the US into Teheran. Quite frankly the mind boggles at this bizarre leap of imagination.

Liars in all governments are the enemy that is true and I hate to disillusion you but pretty much all politicians ( and all Human beings for that matter) either lie or distort the truth. It does not mean that lies are acceptable but that it is a fact of life. Human nature if you will. By all accounts I would say Obama's ones are a lot whiter than his predecessor for example.

And presumably if he is lying about being a Muslim there is evidence somewhere out there ? Any proof ?

Demonise the guy on his policies by all means as a Politician but can't we just keep religion out of Politics and start to behave like rational grown ups with more serious considerations for critiquing someone than what they believe in ?

To be honest I personally think Obama is quite likely an Atheist. He strikes me as a little too rational and level headed to believe in a supernatural being. Like a lot of people who claim to be Christians because it keeps the peace and means social acceptance.

I think it is essential and critical of anyone to question and challenge their leader . That is healthy and what politics is about. What I find bizarre is when people get whipped up into hysterical frenzies about whether their President is a Muslim, or not. And those who accuses him of being almost the evil Twin of Bin-Laden come up with what as proof... Nothing but hot air, speculations and groundless accusations.

I am sure you can find enough weapons in your arsenal of anti-Obama views without having to resort to something so puerile and inconsequential.

I just wish that for once people went back to the nitty gritty of politics, National and International Policies and stop the big issues from becoming blurred with silly accusations and idiotic finger pointing on whether the Commander in Chief attends Church or not.

I personally dislike my current Prime Minister ( also my local Member of Parliament) for many, many reasons. All of them Political . I have enough to dislike him without adding to it whether he goes to Church or not.

I could not care less whether David Cameron is Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic or a Pagan. The man is wrong on so many levels that have nothing to do with his religion.

As I said before what on earth is this mind boggling obession Americans have with their politicians wearing their faith and heart on their sleeves ?

Who bloody cares ? Pillory them for their actions not what God they worship for goodness sake.

Politics is dirty enough without having to resort to personal mud slinging. I find it churlish and childish in the extreme.

Policies and national issues. What else matters ? This forum is not about Politics it is simply about personalities and I often feel I am watching a high-school popularity contest which quite frankly is a little pathetic and sad.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
100% of Muslims will say he is Muslim.
Really ? Strange that , because I know many , many Muslims ( some of them are extremely good friends) and travel the Middle East and North Africa on a regular basis and I do not know ONE Muslim who thinks he is....

I guess your travels and mine have brought you to very different Muslims.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I don't care if he's Christian, Muslim, Atheist, or Pastafarian, I still don't like his policies. and that's what matters, not his religious life.
I couldn't agree with you more. I respect your political views and at least you seem to able to rise above all the childishness of some of the posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies