Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Unfortunately, unpopular opinions or sentiments can get a person essentially blacklisted. Dr. Laura's rant was not an example of what I would describe as a "unpopular sentiment". It was a misguided rant and nothing more. But I think her Larry King Show opinion concerning such a thing is valid. Sixty years ago in Hollywood there were similiar "consequences" for having even a vague affiliation with Communism. No, being blacklisted doesn't actually violate the Bill of Rights, but in a sense it violates the American spirit of free speech, at least I think so.
No, it doesn't violate the American spirit of free speech. She said what she said and people didn't like it and expressed THEIR right to free speech. When you are on the public airways, you have to take responsibility for the words that come out of your mouth. Free speech doesn't come with a guarantee that people are going to agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Well, some conservatives may be as you describe. I have known some. I have also heard a few liberals say some less than egalitarian things behind closed doors. I don't see many movies these days, but I love any movies with Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington or Mr. T. One of my heroes is Nelson Mandela. I am an admirer of the Tuskegee Airmen and the Buffalo Soldiers. My circles of friends over the years include people of many nations all over the world. A good many are Black Africans from Kenya, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Uganda, Ethiopia & Zaire (Congo Kinshasa). A good many are Black Americans. People of all nationalities are welcome in my home. My daughters have spent nights with Black friends & they come here as well. Do you think I am the only nonracist conservative?
Your not from around here are you?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Your not from around here are you?
I grew up in eastern NC, near Goldsboro. I've lived in Durham since 1981. I see you're in SC. I don't get that way much & don't know many people from there. Maybe conservatives are misguided there, if Marc Sanford is an example. Conservatives have their shortcomings, like anyone else. But, just as some Whites are not past race, some Blacks and some liberals are not either.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM

613 posts, read 814,885 times
I was just imagining that somehow a great decree came from above.

"Because black comedians use the N word, it is now ok for everyone to use it."

You know what, I'm nor really champing at the bit to say the word, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies