Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM

472 posts, read 854,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Let's go back to the Dr Laura N-word incident and I will explain.

The way that you felt when the Black server didn't wait on you because you weren't the "right" color....when you were treated differently because you are "different"....when you were treated as if you didn't matter......

That's how I (and many, many other Black people) feel when someone uses the N word.

Okay, I can understand being called that. But, the argument there was no one was "called" the N word.

I never said anyone should call anyone that word. It was all about the context of the conversation of the call. And no one seemed upset that the caller had used the word, also. The fury was all about Dr. Laura, the white lady, using the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Okay, I can understand being called that. But, the argument there was no one was "called" the N word.

I never said anyone should call anyone that word. It was all about the context of the conversation of the call. And no one seemed upset that the caller had used the word, also. The fury was all about Dr. Laura, the white lady, using the word.
I don't understand the people who keep saying "Dr Laura didn't call her the N word she just said it" as if that makes it OK.

That doesn't matter. It was offensive.

If Dr Laura had been Black. It would have been offensive.
When Black comedians use the N word...it is offensive.
When rappers use the N word....it is offensive.
When White people use the N word...it is offensive
When Asian people use the N word....it is offensive
When Hispanic people use the N word....it is offensive
When Native Americans use the N word...it is offensive
When women use the N word....it is offensive
When men use the the N word...it is offensive
When children use the N word....it is offensive

Let me also state for the record...

1) Dr Laura used the N word first in the conversation and in a very flippant manner....like she was saying something harmless like cookie or gingerbread

2) Dr Laura used the N word when it wasn't necessary to the conservation

3) Dr Laura used the N word in the call with the Black woman as a means to "shock" her

4) Dr Laura attempted to use a faulty excuse, attempting to justify it's use by stating that "Black people use it" on HBO and rap videos completely ignoring the fact that a great many Black people (and people in general) are seriuosly offended by its usage period

5) The Black caller obviously was stunned by Dr Laura's unnecessary and gratuitous use of the N word - I could hear in both her voice and her silence because I have also experienced White people saying the word to me to gauge my "reaction" at using the "forbidden word" in the presence of a Black person

6) The Black caller used the N word in a response to Dr Laura's obvious attempt to shock and provoke the caller

7) Had the Black caller used the word first, used the word in the same flippant manner and repeatedly - the N word (a) would have been edited out of the conversation before it aired that's why they have a delay for deleting "bad words" and (b) had the N word (if used by the Black caller 1st) made it to air people would have been outraged that the caller did not have the common sense to say "N word" instead of actually saying the word

Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
One my favorite writers ,James Baldwin has a well known quote that would be perfect here if I could remember it. But in essence it is about how Black Americans have a more intimate knowledge of White people than white people have of Black people.There are countless devoted racist whom are black and I think this surprises many White people.

The Reverend wrights statements can be summed up with another James Baldwin quote."I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." Black peoples criticism of America is not an indication of racism and this fact is inconceivable to many whites.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM

226 posts, read 559,961 times
What if the roles had been reversed? A white server not serving a black customer? Can you imagine what would happen? This is a good example of how blacks are excused for their actions. If blacks do it, it's ok. They don't know any better. If whites do it, whites are held accountable for their actions. Explain that to me? What makes it so different?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
One my favorite writers ,James Baldwin has a well known quote that would be perfect here if I could remember it. But in essence it is about how Black Americans have a more intimate knowledge of White people than white people have of Black people.There are countless devoted racist whom are black and I think this surprises many White people.

The Reverend wrights statements can be summed up with another James Baldwin quote."I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." Black peoples criticism of America is not an indication of racism and this fact is inconceivable to many whites.
Hi, I am actually not following you here. I get the quote about loving American thus the right to criticize. . . but I don't mind critics of American from anyone, black or white, but I do object to racism regardless of skin color.

Are you saying blacks know whites better than whites know blacks therefore they are free to discriminiate against them? I don't get it? Thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
What if the roles had been reversed? A white server not serving a black customer? Can you imagine what would happen? This is a good example of how blacks are excused for their actions. If blacks do it, it's ok. They don't know any better. If whites do it, whites are held accountable for their actions. Explain that to me? What makes it so different?
Someone needs to learn how to read. The previous posts have ALL indicated that two wrongs do not make a right.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM

226 posts, read 559,961 times
Quote:
Someone needs to learn how to read. The previous posts have ALL indicated that two wrongs do not make a right.
You're side-stepping.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM

472 posts, read 854,841 times
Quote:
I don't understand the people who keep saying "Dr Laura didn't call her the N word she just said it" as if that makes it OK.

That doesn't matter. It was offensive.

If Dr Laura had been Black. It would have been offensive.
When Black comedians use the N word...it is offensive.
When rappers use the N word....it is offensive.
When White people use the N word...it is offensive
When Asian people use the N word....it is offensive
When Hispanic people use the N word....it is offensive
When Native Americans use the N word...it is offensive
When women use the N word....it is offensive
When men use the the N word...it is offensive
When children use the N word....it is offensive

Let me also state for the record...

1) Dr Laura used the N word first in the conversation and in a very flippant manner....like she was saying something harmless like cookie or gingerbread

2) Dr Laura used the N word when it wasn't necessary to the conservation

3) Dr Laura used the N word in the call with the Black woman as a means to "shock" her

4) Dr Laura attempted to use a faulty excuse, attempting to justify it's use by stating that "Black people use it" on HBO and rap videos completely ignoring the fact that a great many Black people (and people in general) are seriuosly offended by its usage period

5) The Black caller obviously was stunned by Dr Laura's unnecessary and gratuitous use of the N word - I could hear in both her voice and her silence because I have also experienced White people saying the word to me to gauge my "reaction" at using the "forbidden word" in the presence of a Black person

6) The Black caller used the N word in a response to Dr Laura's obvious attempt to shock and provoke the caller

7) Had the Black caller used the word first, used the word in the same flippant manner and repeatedly - the N word (a) would have been edited out of the conversation before it aired that's why they have a delay for deleting "bad words" and (b) had the N word (if used by the Black caller 1st) made it to air people would have been outraged that the caller did not have the common sense to say "N word" instead of actually saying the word

I get what you are saying, but I still don't think you see the point I've been trying to make.

Black people aren't being called out in the media for using the n-word.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hi, I am actually not following you here. I get the quote about loving American thus the right to criticize. . . but I don't mind critics of American from anyone, black or white, but I do object to racism regardless of skin color.

Are you saying blacks know whites better than whites know blacks therefore they are free to discriminate against them? I don't get it? Thanks
I think many black people who are racist have no more reason to be racist than whites who are racist. Some black racist that I have met seem to have little or no contact with Whites and the same is true with some whites who are racist.

But I get what the OP might be getting at. I don't think it is a question of "say it ain't so", but do black people get a pass? NO. Racism is evil and black and white people who harbor these feeling have an evil streak. to paraphrase another quote from Jame Baldwin, he says that the racist feels hatred to hide pain.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
I too have heard black people refer to others as that "N....." And I find it quite shocking that they feel it is OK to use a term that they take such offense to from anyone except another black. Which is it? If the word brings up such horrible conotations then they should certainly refrain from such inflammatory word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies