Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 PM

364 posts, read 496,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
You just don't get it. The reason you said HAPPY HOLIDAYS was out of fear that I would take offense to merry christmas. You PRESUME it would be offensive to me, which personally offends me that you would presume I have no backbone.

Saying happy h olidays to me is OFFENSIVE.
Sigh. I was using your example.

Look, I don't care if you or anyone else likes to say merry christmas, happy solstice, happy holidays, happy hanukkah, or whatever.

I may have a greeting that I prefer to use. I make no presumption on your reaction. When I receive it, then I take appropriate action. It's called not being a jerk.

Using the r-word is degrading an entire class of people and should not be used by people that know better. It is used as an insult. By the same token many words that are benign may be used as insults or in a derogatory fashion. You can persist in being callous and a jerk if you choose. I just prefer to learn from people in an attempt to make myself a better, more understanding person.

Last edited by mauiwowie; 08-22-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
It should disturb Americans that these liberal fascists spend our tax dollars and waste much of their time legislating language in an effort to control how the public should think and speak in the US, but they have no problem comparing Bush to Hitler or calling Tea Partiers Nazis or Klansmen. They do not appear terribly concerned about creating jobs for unemployed people, something everybody could use, including retarded folks.

Something is seriously wrong with society today. The application of logic is utterly backwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if these libfreaks banned "Something About Mary" because of this line:

"I work with retards." -Matt Dillon.

Apparently, our Congress is full of them.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Sigh. I was using your example.

Look, I don't care if you or anyone else likes to say merry christmas, happy solstice, happy holidays, happy hanukkah, or whatever.

I may have a greeting that I prefer to use. I make no presumption on your reaction. When I receive it, then I take appropriate action. It's called not being a jerk.

Using the r-word is degrading an entire class of people and should not be used by people that know better. It is used as an insult. By the same token many words that are benign may be used as insults or in a derogatory fashion. You can persist in being callous and a jerk if you choose. I just prefer to learn from people in an attempt to make myself a better, more understanding person.
The original point of this thread, is really to ask the question, is it really the job of the GOVERNMENT to act as the recess monitor to make sure that kids don't feel bad if they don't win or get called a name? Eventually one day, people have to raelize that the real world isn't always a wonderful thing. People are being starved and killed in ethnic fighting in places like Darfur, and we worry about banning words like retarded because someone is offended on behalf of other people? There really are WAY more important things out there than PC garbage.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is the most mean-sprited post I have seen on this topic! It's OK to make fun of people if they can't figure it out? They are human beings, for Pete's sake!
You seem to want to deny reality.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
What's wrong with mentally retarded? The people you take offense for it don't even feel offense over it because they have low intelligence and cannot figure it out. So you're offended on behalf of other people?
See, you could have an interesting debate with my ex. He had a different view. He didn't like mentally retarded people because he thought they knew they just could say or do anything they wanted and get away with it because they were mentally retarded.

He absolutely hated that actor who played Corky on Life Goes On. I personally think that it something to do with the fact that the actor had a job despite the fact that he had Down's Syndrome and my ex kept getting fired.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
See, you could have an interesting debate with my ex. He had a different view. He didn't like mentally retarded people because he thought they knew they just could say or do anything they wanted and get away with it because they were mentally retarded.

He absolutely hated that actor who played Corky on Life Goes On. I personally think that it something to do with the fact that the actor had a job despite the fact that he had Down's Syndrome and my ex kept getting fired.
He sounds like eric cartman in that tourette's syndrome episode.. I actually envy mentally retarded people, because I imagine they don't know what boredom is.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 PM

364 posts, read 496,315 times
Quote:
The original point of this thread, is really to ask the question, is it really the job of the GOVERNMENT to act as the recess monitor to make sure that kids don't feel bad if they don't win or get called a name? Eventually one day, people have to raelize that the real world isn't always a wonderful thing. People are being starved and killed in ethnic fighting in places like Darfur, and we worry about banning words like retarded because someone is offended on behalf of other people? There really are WAY more important things out there than PC garbage.
Here's the deal. There is NOTHING more important than my family. This is about people. You don't get to decide how other people feel.

The government creates laws and can decide which language it will use to do so. They are not "banning" anything for anyone, however, they have set protocol for language in their own documents.

What is the problem with treating people with respect? Why is that so bad? The world may not be a wonderful place at times, so why don't we do our part to make it better? Why does something so simple as kindness need to be called garbage? Why does compassion need to be cast aside?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
No, it isn't, and it doesn't work anyway. Speech legislation doesn't work because legislation is cut and dry and speech is not. But that's not what this article is about either. But in other cases, where speech has either been banned or enforced, it never ends up working out. People find a way to get around it and there's no way of checking people's speech 24/7 and penalizing them accordingly.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
You seem to want to deny reality.
They're not human?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I think PC should be banned. I am offended by all the PC happenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies