Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Remember the Columbine shooting? Of course, everyone does. It was a heart-wrenching tragedy in middle America, that hit home with every parent. Do you also remember the NRA passing through on their scheduled tour across the United States? If so, then you probably remember the left (and the media of course) protesting the NRA's visit. And you remember Charlton Heston saying in a speech that they feel for the victims of Columbine, but that the NRA has a right guaranteed by the Constitution to free assembly and the right to bear arms.

By now, you probably see what I'm getting at. Why does the left get to cherry pick which parts of the Constitution should be upheld? Why is one group guaranteed their rights in the wake of a national tragedy, and others aren't?

It's hypocrisy in it's purest form. And before you try to argue that the two situations are/were somehow different, think very carefully.

For the record: I'm all for building the mosque, but I gotta call it like I see it.

I think both the NRA and the developers of the proposed Muslim community center showed a serious lack of tact in both decisions. But both are defendable under the Constitution---there isn't any mention of good taste in regards to the First Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Did we need a different thread for hypocrisy separate from the "double standard" thread?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:54 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why don't you provide your view on the subject first? Or, is it always more convenient to point fingers? Do you cherry pick? Demonstrate it, using the two instances you brought up and then we will have something to discuss.
My view on what? The mosque, or the NRA?

I stated my opinion on the mosque in the very first post. I could really care less about the NRA, as long as they aren't doing anything illegal it doesn't bother me. Am I for the right to bear arms? Of course.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Did we need a different thread for hypocrisy separate from the "double standard" thread?
Yes, because that thread made absolutely zero sense. It was 5 pages of people saying "this doesn't make sense."

Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think both the NRA and the developers of the proposed Muslim community center showed a serious lack of tact in both decisions.
Exactly the point I am trying to make. Both actions are, however, guaranteed by the Constitution.

Both parties like to pick their battles though, and make themselves look like idiots.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Remember the Columbine shooting? Of course, everyone does. It was a heart-wrenching tragedy in middle America, that hit home with every parent. Do you also remember the NRA passing through on their scheduled tour across the United States? If so, then you probably remember the left (and the media of course) protesting the NRA's visit. And you remember Charlton Heston saying in a speech that they feel for the victims of Columbine, but that the NRA has a right guaranteed by the Constitution to free assembly and the right to bear arms.

By now, you probably see what I'm getting at. Why does the left get to cherry pick which parts of the Constitution should be upheld? Why is one group guaranteed their rights in the wake of a national tragedy, and others aren't?

It's hypocrisy in it's purest form. And before you try to argue that the two situations are/were somehow different, think very carefully.

For the record: I'm all for building the mosque, but I gotta call it like I see it.
The hypocrisy can be illustrated by the policies and positions of Mayor Bloomberg alone (yes, a RINO is part of the left).

Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Exactly the point I am trying to make. Both actions are, however, guaranteed by the Constitution.

Both parties like to pick their battles though, and make themselves look like idiots.
Don't you know that cherry picking portions of rights from the Constitution is a sign of intellectual superiority?

The means justifies the end....blah, blah blah.....

Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:

Then that would be the hypocrisy of the Right as well.

But that isn't what you said. At all.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:21 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, shouldn't they both? Or, is it only the right wingers that are allowed to cherry pick?

Besides the issue of picking cherries, you're also comparing apples and oranges. Quite fruity of an argument, and hopefully we can arrive at a fruitful conclusion.

As far as NRA goes, it is a lobbying group (not as bad as Fox News though, since more Fox News viewers vote for right wingers than do NRA members, at least true in case of Bush). That group deals with something deemed controversial. For example, you can't exercise your second amendment rights inside a government building. Gun rights are still debated, and usually across many factions (some with full restriction, some with some regulation and others with no regulation at all). Now, do you see the same issue with the first amendment? I hope not.
Hey Einstein, it IS apples and apples. You can't have a prayer service inside a government building either so what was your point again?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM

32 posts, read 18,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Again, another conservative making a blanket statement. Ok. what part of the constitution are you referring to that the democrats are cherry picking? What is this in relation to, what event?
You just proved his point. It doesn't matter what part of the Constitution and what event (and the event-holders). You are collecting info to selectively apply and not apply rights.

You already have plenty of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies