Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times

Advertisements

"United States of Debt"

And still rated one of the safest national debts in the world.

The Safest National Debt In The World: And It’s Not From The US - 24/7 Wall St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:34 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep, then no one who knows anything will run. But hey, others can't do much worse, so ok.
Elected Government Service should not be a career.

Quote:
So you want to cut the salaries of USDA workers, Airport attendees, FBI, CIA, NSA, military personnel, and countless other experts that keep us safe and are needed for the society we have today? Really, that'd kind of be stupid.
The taxpayers that fund these positions have been taking a beating financially. They can take a beating, too.

Quote:
My employer supplies my healthcare, why shouldn't their employer do the same?
WE are their employers yet we let THEM dictate our healthcare?

Quote:
Yeah, lets leave out the thousands of other government workers we need to maintain a healthy functioning society.
Check the pay and pensions of ALL government workers. Golden parachutes anyone?

Quote:
They are, other than the 6 month limit. So if someone attacks us, or one of our allies we should debate the war for 6 months? So if there is a Hurricane that destroys Miami, we should wait for that? Silly idea again. But as I said, all bills are published, you're free to read them. I even have an app on my phone that tells me of all new congressional bills, actions, statements, etc.
Where have you been the last 18 months?

Quote:
Again, war, natural disasters, etc.
There are Emergency Provisions available to both houses and the president.

Quote:

Ok, I'll go along with this on most things, but again, natural disasters, mobilizing national guard troops, lots of other things I can think of that need immediate decisions and action, and Congress isn't always right there to get it in front of.
See above.

Quote:
Line item veto, read it, learn it, love it. Republican congress didn't want to allow that to Clinton, blame them.
No blame both parties. If one side doesn't use it, that doesn't mean the other side can't.

Quote:
So what about the good lobbyists? Do I really need to get you a list of everything thats lobbied before congressional leaders and the President?
Then use the system properly. Greasing palms is wrong no matter what the cause.

Quote:
Like the stupid tax cut that Republicans are fighting like hell to keep for the richest 5% of Americans?
Last time I looked, it wasn't a poor homeless guy signing paychecks.

Quote:
No, GM is doing quite well, so is Lehman bros. Of course, do I think they should have been broken down into smaller "failable" parts, yep.
Those that were bailed out should have had to do the job themselves. Unions be damned.

Quote:
What problems would those be?
Every damn country comes to America for handouts. Then there's some that gets 'it' by association. Kenya comes to mind.

Quote:
Tax them, please.
Why not? Why not tax Unions and Gov employees at higher rates? They got bailout money from taxpayers.

Quote:
Nope, bad idea.
Government has no business in using imminent domain in any case. They want the property, they should pay current fair prices, like anyone else.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Elected Government Service should not be a career.

The taxpayers that fund these positions have been taking a beating financially. They can take a beating, too.

WE are their employers yet we let THEM dictate our healthcare?

Check the pay and pensions of ALL government workers. Golden parachutes anyone?

Where have you been the last 18 months?

There are Emergency Provisions available to both houses and the president.

See above.

No blame both parties. If one side doesn't use it, that doesn't mean the other side can't.

Then use the system properly. Greasing palms is wrong no matter what the cause.

Last time I looked, it wasn't a poor homeless guy signing paychecks.

Those that were bailed out should have had to do the job themselves. Unions be damned.

Every damn country comes to America for handouts. Then there's some that gets 'it' by association. Kenya comes to mind.

Why not? Why not tax Unions and Gov employees at higher rates? They got bailout money from taxpayers.

Government has no business in using imminent domain in any case. They want the property, they should pay current fair prices, like anyone else.

You don't know anything about government workers with statements like these. My grandmother was a USDA meat inspector, she barely makes half of her former salary in SSI benefits and her retirement package. She does have insurance, but its not everything thats great, mine with a private employer is much better, and cheaper.

She worked 40 years inspecting meat, retired to take care of her drunk son. She made less money than I make now when she retired, and I have only been working for the same company for going on 6 years now.

You really need to understand that many out there aren't getting golden parachutes, and anyone can apply for a government job, lots of people do it. If you think their pay is so great, you go get a job with them. I decided not to, although I could have done the same thing as she did. I decided to go to school and get a better job because I wanted more, it still doesn't mean I look down on her, and others like her that work hard, for money that fits their job title.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
1- The taxpayers that fund these positions have been taking a beating financially. They can take a beating, too.

2- WE are their employers yet we let THEM dictate our healthcare?
Much of your babbling is laughable, but two of them were worthy of my response.
1- They are taxpayers too. And if it is true (as you claimed earlier) that they are paid twice as much, they are paying more in taxes than you.

2- They are employed to write the laws. Its their job.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:37 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This unfortunate situation is the problem when individuals "with no skin in the game" can rob the treasury and vote themselves benefits. This is probably why only landowners and vets should be allowed to vote. No vested interest in the game- no vote.
This is exactly why the Founding Fathers set up the system so that society's leeches couldn't vote themselves money confiscated from the productive people. They tried to set it up so that the educated aristocracy would make decisions as to what was best for the Country's citizens.

Unfortunately, our new political aristocracy is based on corrupt career politicians trading cash for political favors, and using the taxpayer's dollars to buy votes from growing masses of unproductive people. The Founding Fathers tried to stop America degrading into what it is today--but they warned us that we, the people, would have to take steps to rein in government as it inevitably grew out of control. We didn't. We lost our great country as a result, and getting it back is going to mean tearing down the corrupt mess that now robs us all blind and building a new government based on Libertarian principles.

Let's hope the next generation, spoiled as it is, is less passive than mine and several before it.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 2,649 times
China knows that the US will never be able to repay its monstrous debt. It won't be long before people realize the game is up and hyperinflation will take place similar to what happened in 1930s Germany. People will flock to revitalization movements (Tea Party) and seek a common scapegoat (liberals and immigrants). I fear a second civil war is inevitable.. If any of you doubt this and the parallels with 1930s Germany then prove me wrong.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,786 times
Quote:
Cut ALL Congressional salaries AND pensions 50% immediately. Do it AGAIN next year.

Cut ALL government salaries 50% immediately. Gov employees make twice the private sector.

Cut ALL elected officials and government employees health care plans completely. They should get the same plan as the people get.

Military exempt from Colonels on down.

ALL Bills are to be published, read, examined and debated 6 months before voting on them.

All Bills 'rushed' or pushed thru by any other means should be rescinded.

NO agency can enact laws or restrictions upon the states, the public or any citizen without a Congressional vote.

NO pork spending in any bill allowed.

Send lobbyists packing.

Enact tougher sunset laws and enforce them.

Every entity funded by the taxpayer that gets money next year spends like mad so they get the same or more the next year. This needs to end.

End all bank, union, and corporate bail outs.

End funding other countries problems.

End funding of religious special interests.

End imminent domain by ALL government action, Federal. state and local.

One addition ... end the Federal Reserve and we could actually take back our country, control our economy and eliminate our debt. quickly at that.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk98 View Post
China knows that the US will never be able to repay its monstrous debt. It won't be long before people realize the game is up and hyperinflation will take place similar to what happened in 1930s Germany. People will flock to revitalization movements (Tea Party) and seek a common scapegoat (liberals and immigrants). I fear a second civil war is inevitable.. If any of you doubt this and the parallels with 1930s Germany then prove me wrong.

Liberals and illegal immigrants are not the scapegoats- they ARE the actual problem.

Restore fiscal sanity, the borders, and adhere to the constitution. Secular liberalism was an insane policy that has resulted in disaster and should be abandoned.

Wake up from the fairy tales of the 1960s and face reality.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Cut ALL Congressional salaries AND pensions 50% immediately. Do it AGAIN next year.

Cut ALL government salaries 50% immediately. Gov employees make twice the private sector.

Cut ALL elected officials and government employees health care plans completely. They should get the same plan as the people get.

Military exempt from Colonels on down.

ALL Bills are to be published, read, examined and debated 6 months before voting on them.

All Bills 'rushed' or pushed thru by any other means should be rescinded.

NO agency can enact laws or restrictions upon the states, the public or any citizen without a Congressional vote.

NO pork spending in any bill allowed.

Send lobbyists packing.

Enact tougher sunset laws and enforce them.

Every entity funded by the taxpayer that gets money next year spends like mad so they get the same or more the next year. This needs to end.

End all bank, union, and corporate bail outs.

End funding other countries problems.

End funding of religious special interests.

End imminent domain by ALL government action, Federal. state and local.
Excellent, excellent ideas. Please run for office so we can vote for you.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
[font=Times New Roman]I am 55 years old and have no problem with raising my age from the current 66 years 6 months to age 70)
So go and notify them via Registered Mail, today, that you are hereby relinquishing any and all benefits until you are 70--or maybe later.

Of course, when you start encountering major health problems in the next few years--and age WILL disable you, no matter how much of a superman you are now--you might regret working until you drop dead.

I guess you have a job that is really fun, doesn't require the ridiculous hours most jobs now do, and/or get a lot of vacation, but most of us work because we're trying to save for the kid's education, and some free time before we die.

Life is too short to spend it working in a job nobody would do without being well paid, and then losing half your earnings to the corrupt spendthrifts in Washington who never worked a day in their lives. They've set up our society so that a few workers work obscene hours with no time off, and support a huge number of people who can't or won't work at all.

This is an insane system that is destroying quality of life in America. When I was a kid, the schools talked about how we would all be working 4 day weeks, and just a few hours a day (remember the "Jetson's" cartoons?). Instead of allowing American workers to better their quality of life through the productivity gains they made via working harder, Big Business and Government stole ALL the productivity gains, and sentenced the working class to either full-scale wage slavery, or no job at all.

There was great hope for our future when I was a kid. We expected to do better than our parents. When I see what Government and Big Business, in collusion, did to our Country, I cannot believe we have fallen so far, so fast.

My Dad grew up in the Great Depression. That one actually ended, and not due to government spending. Ironic that now I will spend about half my life (should I survive to retirement) in a series of recessions and "Jobless Recoveries," where the good times never actually come back to the working class. Good thing we can count on giant government to "manage" the economy properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies