Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or "placed in a holding pattern". You know, like when you're trying to land at Newark airport, lol.

To tell the truth, I'm not sure which of the deals they are referring to. Originally, the church was getting a sweet deal, being incorporated into Tower 5, which JP Morgan was going to build on the site of the badly-damaged Deutschbank building. Then two firemen were killed in a fire at Deutschbank, and the demolition came to a dead stop (it finally got going again a few months ago and it's almost down.) Anyway, JP Morgan backed out of that and Tower 5 may never be built (it is not within the actual perimeter of the WTC site). So then the church was supposed to be built somewhere on that block but the PA felt that they were getting greedy with what they wanted, and the economy took a nosedive, and then they were just going to build their new church on the old site after the PA was finished using the area for construction operations for the VSC. I am not sure what the issues are on the public funding, that is interesting.

Just to be clear, the PA is not the government, although there sure is political involvement. It doesn't get any tax revenue, though, it's self-sustaining. With the need to get the memorial done by the tenth anniversary and the long arbitration with Silverstein over whose going to pay for what in the east bathtub, it was probably easy to let the church just fall off the radar screen.

So now it sounds to me as if the Greek church is very smart, using the mosque controversy and visibility to get themselves some public support. No doubt the press has asked questions of the PA that someone is assigned to prepare an answer to, and this may well force them to get negotiations going again with St. Nicholas. As I mentioned, politicians have their hands all over the PA, and public perception is high on the list of political priorities. It will be interesting to see what develops with this in the near future.
That picture on the web site you posted is pretty ominous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Somebody will. Now only if they also incorporated a middle finger in the architectural design.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
With all the opposition to this mosque, you would think that the people behind it (namely the Imam himself) would politely decide to build it elsewhere since his main goal is to promote peaceful interfaith relations and all.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm sure they are free to hire non union workers if needed.
I'm not so sure about that... especially if NYC is anything like Chicago. Nothing gets done in Chicago without the involvement of unions.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That picture on the web site you posted is pretty ominous.
Fortunately no one was in the church at the time, but it was obliterated. They found very few pieces of their icons in the rubble. It was buried under at least 15 feet of debris from the south tower.

I passed it so many times and thought of going in and never did (New York City has some beautiful churches, especially the interiors. Most of them are open at least on some weekdays, and whether you are religious or not doesn't matter--the artwork is often breathtaking). I am sorry now that I didn't.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I'm not so sure about that... especially if NYC is anything like Chicago. Nothing gets done in Chicago without the involvement of unions.
When nonunion work is being done in New York, they go get the Big Rat and picket.

The Big Rat | Images | New York City Walk

Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
When nonunion work is being done in New York, they go get the Big Rat and picket.

I figured as much.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I figured as much.
In some cases there's absolutely no question but that you will use union labor. For example, work in or around train stations. If non union labor is used, the Brotherhood of Railway Car Men may threaten to walk and shut down a system, and in areas that rely heavily on public transportation, no one wants to take that chance.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM

6 posts, read 2,651 times
Just as the Marxists said, diversity is strength!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:

The do the same here in NJ, but that does not halt the building from being built. Case in point, BMW just built a huge dealership and corporate office in Bloomfield NJ. I guess the rat wasn't big enough to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies