Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

This idiot fuels people's emotions on race issues. What else is new in the news, nothing was done about this jerk, so why bring him up now. He is no better then Al Sharpton or the Jessie Jackson. Ignorant remarks comes freely from this Man's Crude Mouth. If he were a white man, saying these same things, guarantee you, things would be said on the NEWS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:06 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If that's where it came from, all credit goes to the source.
No blame, just facts.
Some folks just can't handle the truth!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM

226 posts, read 560,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
Good forya, but you sure took what I had to say way into left field. With quick assumptions and responses like that I reccomend you do buy and learn how to properly use a firearm. Youre a bit too old to be tussling with folks old tymer.

Your response is indicative of a previously existing psychosis that you may want to seek counseling for.
Naw, never too old to roll in the grass. Oh, and I do have plenty of firearms, by the way. I just prefer to settle my differences the old fashion way. Never did like taking the easy way out. But, I don't think I ever brought up fighting, did I? Did you think because I mentioned not being intimidated was a reason for you to go on the defensive? Hmm, someone might have anger issues that need to be dealt with. You might want to work on that reading comprehension, too. Remember, you're the one that brought it up. It's in your writing, sir. I just responded to it.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
This idiot fuels people's emotions on race issues. What else is new in the news, nothing was done about this jerk, so why bring him up now. He is no better then Al Sharpton or the Jessie Jackson. Ignorant remarks comes freely from this Man's Crude Mouth. If he were a white man, saying these same things, guarantee you, things would be said on the NEWS!

What part of the 9'11 sermon was racist.
Truthful (especially from a intercity black perspective), Factual, a bit over the top (but most preachers are), but racist. Nope.

It seem that only a few whites have gotten fired up over his statements.
blacks heard it, and went back to their lives. A few whites though, ran from the TV (just those watching Fox News) and out to the streets screening "there coming to get me". It just took a while.......If what he said was so earthshaking, why did it take 6 years for anybody to notice?

(yes, and this response is a 'bit over the top')

Last edited by plannine; 08-22-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
This idiot fuels people's emotions on race issues.
What part of Wright's speech fueled "people's emotions"?

Quote:
Ignorant remarks comes freely from this Man's Crude Mouth. If he were a white man, saying these same things, guarantee you, things would be said on the NEWS!
Would you care to point out the ignorant remarks?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually what we have seen is a pretty typical way of handling uncomfortable truths. The fact that no one so far can point to the falsity of Wright's statements either in spirit of fact, is telling.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:33 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
And some can't tell the truth.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:35 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
......If what he said was so earthshaking, why did it take 6 years for anybody to notice?
And if it's all so great and good, why did his most famous parishioner abandon him?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What exactly is Wright doing to promote race relations other than focusing and dwelling on them and blaming the white man for all the ills of the nation? How does his preaching that rhetoric serve to mend fences?

Maybe it's time to stop living in the past and take some personal responsibility to improve race relations and the quality of life of those he preaches to. Simply giving people a villain to demonize doesn't solve a damn thing and only reinforces stereotypical thoughts and behaviors. There are many things he could be preaching about that would have a positive effect on those in his community, but he chooses to dwell on the evil white man instead and wonder why change isn't happening for his people.
A) Rev. Wright worked 36 years within a denomination that is predominately white (94%+). He took a failing congregation of 87 and grew it to between 6 and 10 thousand (membership varying over time) with very little assistance from the denomination. The structure of the UCC denomination is such that Trinity could have left the denomination whenever it wanted with no financial impact on them . In fact they would have saved quite a bit of money by no longer sending there voluntary contributions to the denomination.

But over Rev. Wright's 36 years he never urged them to leave the predominately white denomination. He stayed, they stayed and he and they worked within the denomination on race relations.

B) Rev. Wright created an environment of achievement at Trinity. The following is how Stephen Mansfield, a conservative Evangelical, described the environment at Trinity.

Trinity called for people to rise, created an environment of learning and achievement, and modeled the pursuit of intellectual excellence. Another pastor might joke about a seminary being a cemetery and about how believers could "get their learning and lose their burning." Jeremiah Wright, a man with four earned degrees, used, as Obama later wrote, "twenty-five-cent words" with regularity. He hired only well-educated staff, put university professors in charge of Sunday school classes, and worked to send the youth of his church to the most reputable schools in the land. Understanding a single Jeremiah Wright sermon might require knowing something of Middle East history, Greek, Hebrew, the amendments to the U.S. Constitution, the causes of World War II, the politics of the Sudan, and the details of how syphilis is spread.

C) In the late seventies, as they began to grow, Trinity created a long term development plan. Parts of the plan are still in the works today even after Rev. Wright has retired. Although I'm sure the congregation is also revising and amending the plans based on current realities. They determined how they could benefit the community where the church was located. The set about providing services in an under served community such as: senior housing, child care, banking and access to health care. They also provided mentors and tutors for kids. Currently they are supporting a 3 year old charter school. They support a prison ministry that has turned individual lives around, they have a first class HIV/Aids ministry and a drug and alcohol rehabilitation ministry. This is just a small list of what they have done in Chicago. They have also assisted and supported other Churches around the U.S. They have helped to build schools, hospitals and supported Churches in Brazil, Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa.

Bottom line Trinity is not a spot for victims. Rev Wright and Trinity have enabled thousands of people to get control of their own lives and have empowered others to get control of their lives.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Wright is a teacher of black liberation theology. You don't have to be able to spell it to grasp the concepts that he teaches--specifically that the black man will inherit the wealth of the white people when Jesus comes to judge them.

It's an extremist view, and obama is either a believer in it or is just using it to get votes.
That is not what is preached at Trinity UCC, nor does it represent the writings of Dr. Cone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies