Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 AM

563 posts, read 518,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
What about the mosque that's pretty much already there? (only about 2 more blocks away).

Should they have to pick up and leave?
Who cares what is there already. When did anyone say anything about that? We are discussing what they plan to build. That is like the libs saying someone died from a gun shot so should we ban all guns?

The building of this musky mosque is as good of an idea of electing Obama into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Who cares what is there already. When did anyone say anything about that? We are discussing what they plan to build. That is like the libs saying someone died from a gun shot so should we ban all guns?
A better analogy would be:

Three thousand people were shot at Point A all with 19 Smith & Wessons. Now, nine years later and a short distance away, Smith & Wesson wants to convert a built, but empty, building into a community center that will also teach and display Smith & Wessons. Not far from this new building is another Smith & Wesson facility - for instance, a shop that exclusively sells them. This older building has been there since before the mass shooting.

That's a good analogy of the situation except Smith & Wesson in place of muslims... and of course a product vice a religion.

You know, I've heard a number of times on this board (especially when dealing with Christmas decorations) that the constitution protects freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. Why does this concept not apply in this situation?

This is not government property. This is not public property. This is a private establishment. As long as their building plans follow proper building code laws and guidelines, then legally there is nothing wrong with the situation.

While I personally feel that the location is in bad taste - I don't agree with suppressing any religion's constitutional rights.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It completely lacks common sense, couth, sensitivity and plain old respect.
And the strip club next door oozes couth and sensitivity....

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
The building of this musky mosque is as good of an idea of electing Obama into office.
^ Probably thinks that the guy who slashed up the Muslim cabbie's face did a good deed too.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:

You mean the mosque that was there that they're planning on building up into a community center?

Also, the analogy that you're trying to give "someone died from a gun shot so we should ban all guns" applies directly to what many people want.

Some radical jihadists killed numerous americans (of ALL faiths, INCLUDING Muslims), so we should restrict their right to build.

Is it in good taste? Relative. I personally don't care either way. But the fact remains, they have every right to build wherever they want, as long as it's not on government property.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
You mean the mosque that was there that they're planning on building up into a community center?

Also, the analogy that you're trying to give "someone died from a gun shot so we should ban all guns" applies directly to what many people want.

Some radical jihadists killed numerous americans (of ALL faiths, INCLUDING Muslims), so we should restrict their right to build.

Is it in good taste? Relative. I personally don't care either way. But the fact remains, they have every right to build wherever they want, as long as it's not on government property.
The ban of guns is wanted by man, Libs that is. I am talking about the Liberal way of thinking of where it has to be one way or another in any situation.

Again, nobody is sayin that they should not be able to have their Mosque or whatever it is they are calling it this week. Just not there. That is a big slap in the face.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
A better analogy would be:

Three thousand people were shot at Point A all with 19 Smith & Wessons. Now, nine years later and a short distance away, Smith & Wesson wants to convert a built, but empty, building into a community center that will also teach and display Smith & Wessons. Not far from this new building is another Smith & Wesson facility - for instance, a shop that exclusively sells them. This older building has been there since before the mass shooting.

That's a good analogy of the situation except Smith & Wesson in place of muslims... and of course a product vice a religion.

You know, I've heard a number of times on this board (especially when dealing with Christmas decorations) that the constitution protects freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. Why does this concept not apply in this situation?

This is not government property. This is not public property. This is a private establishment. As long as their building plans follow proper building code laws and guidelines, then legally there is nothing wrong with the situation.

While I personally feel that the location is in bad taste - I don't agree with suppressing any religion's constitutional rights.
My analogy has nothing to do with a Mosque, but with liberal way of thinking. Regardless of anyones stance, everyone knows if this goes up what is going to happen and people will say "boy, I didn't see that one coming"

Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
My analogy has nothing to do with a Mosque, but with liberal way of thinking. Regardless of anyones stance, everyone knows if this goes up what is going to happen and people will say "boy, I didn't see that one coming"
Well, this article gives me some encouragement, at least the majority feels this way....maybe there is still hope for the U.S.?

Whoever can claim to be the most tolerant wins even if it means letting the other side kill you to prove just how totally tolerant you really are.

We live in a country run by the 30%ers...for now. Come November, the 70%ers will begin to take back America from tyranny. Liberal thinking doesn't work, and can get you killed....however, as far as I'm concerned, the Republican's better get they're act together as well...and stop all this greed and lunacy....lets get this country back in shape and start thinking about the effects our decissions have on others instead of being individualists....

Poll: Most NYers want developers to move mosque | 6abc.com

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
Ok so it wouldn't be seen (maybe) from ground zero it still doesn't change the fact that
Osama Bin Landen did this in the name of his, their religion. Allah gave him permission and
reason to bomb the US as far as I'm concerned. If it's really for the purpose of peace and it must be religious, which it doesn't have to be religious, then why not offer to build a universal church for all religions to go and worship to show religious freedom in America?

It seems quite strange and outright ballsy to me that they should want this after 9/11 and yet all this time they knew they owned that property and either no one else noticed or did know and never said anything to let American's know about it. They and everyone else has the rest of the Country to build their house's of worship.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:53 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Let them build the Mosque.

This was all planned by the elite (Illuminati). A brilliant evil plan. Hard to believe people are actually falling it.

-this creates chaos to bring order
-it pits the Jews against the Muslims and the Christians against the Muslims
-the build up of hate on both sides will help fuel the future planned war
-distraction from finding the truth (who controls world, who was responsible for 9/11)
-make money (got something in the mail asking for money to stop Mosque! LOL)

I'm sure there are other reasons too, but the simple solution is to not fall for their little traps that they set for you. Don't buy into it. The elite try to manipulate your emotions through the controlled media. Be smart and rise above their grandiose schemes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies