U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM

3,790 posts, read 8,133,808 times

Advertisements

Perhaps there would be more manufacturing jobs if people didn't demand cheap goods from China. They buy the junk, then get upset that there are no jobs. You can't have it both ways people. You can't have CHEAP domestic-made products. So, keep buying China and keep complaining of there being no manufacturing jobs and help put China ahead of the US economy. We are killing ourselves. And yes, before you ask, we have China-made junk in our house. There isn't one without it. However, we are going out of our way to find American-made products. They are out there. The more demand for our own products, the more jobs for our country and a shrinking of China.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,555,187 times
They've been demanding cheap for over 40 years now. Where have you been ?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They've been demanding cheap for over 40 years now. Where have you been ?
The point is that people complain about the lack of manuf jobs, yet turn around and shoot themselves in the foot when they buy China-crap.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,640,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Perhaps there would be more manufacturing jobs if people didn't demand cheap goods from China. They buy the junk, then get upset that there are no jobs. You can't have it both ways people. You can't have CHEAP domestic-made products. So, keep buying China and keep complaining of there being no manufacturing jobs and help put China ahead of the US economy. We are killing ourselves. And yes, before you ask, we have China-made junk in our house. There isn't one without it. However, we are going out of our way to find American-made products. They are out there. The more demand for our own products, the more jobs for our country and a shrinking of China.
I feel the same. And its pretty much impossible to not own something made over there. I personally think it sucks. Im all for companies being able to sell and manufacture anywhere of their choosing, but I do believe more should be done to make it not only beneficial to do it here, but make it less beneficial for them to do it overseas.

Ive always hated the fact that, Nike for example, can pay people next to nothing to make shoes, and then they sell them for a hundred bux a pair.

But I honestly dont know what we can do to turn this around. I think we've gotten so far into this mess, that there's little we can do. Im all for profits and people making money but it saddens me a bit to see that profits go ahead of your country. But its not just the corporations fault. Its also the government for not doing more to prevent this and curb it. We need less taxes here and high taxes on things that come over here. But I dont know if thats the right answer or not. Im not extremely knowledgeable in this subject as I wish I was. It just seems complicated to me as a whole.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,364,571 times
Look at the automakers and what you see is individauls so greddy they didn;t even care ift eh cow they were milking was running dry. They milk the cow until it collapsed.GM is owned 17.5% by the unions.17.5% by the Canadian government and the rest owned by taxpayers. Its aiming to be like the postal system.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,990,351 times
If they make it worth buying I will. I'm not going to subsidize the US manufacturing industry by overspending on stuff if I can get it for cheaper from a Chinese source.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM

75,536 posts, read 38,872,854 times
Lets go back to 1923 and all laws and regulations, including government agencies. Eliminating all government that was not in effect then.

I like the trade tariffs we had back then.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,431,537 times
If we enacted tough enough trade barriers that nothing could be imported, even if everyone were willing to pay the higher prices, would not solve the unemployment problem. Only 10 percent of the workforce is in manufacturing.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Look at the automakers and what you see is individauls so greddy they didn;t even care ift eh cow they were milking was running dry. They milk the cow until it collapsed.GM is owned 17.5% by the unions.17.5% by the Canadian government and the rest owned by taxpayers. Its aiming to be like the postal system.
The postal service doesn't take a dime of taxpayer money. They haven't done so since 1970.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM

10,781 posts, read 12,272,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Sounds like you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies