Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson
Cardinals star Albert Pujols can kiss his career goodbye ....
I don't get it. How is Pujols attending the 8/28 rally going to affect his game? I mean like, does this affect his batting average somehow? Or you no longer buying Cardinals tickets going to send his contract into a tailspin?

Or you just venting your displeasure that some american want to show an appreciation for the troops? And MLK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
One of the last effective leaders of conservative populist tradition that Palin and Beck represent was George Wallace.

But the ambition to turn from talk-radio rodeo clown to movement Moses has been toned down, with the event now presented as a thoroughly unobjectionable salute to the troops. Even the mention of partisan politics has been unconvincingly forbidden. But still, some smell trouble. Most elected Republican leaders are keeping their distance. Supporters have been asked to keep their signs—and their firearms—at home.

Calling President Obama a "racist" who has a "deep-seeded hatred of white people" is a good place to start looking for explanation. Repeated references to health-care legislation as "reparations," and a relatively new riff on black liberation theology's home in the White House, is another. Oh, and Beck's repeated denunciation of "social justice" is at odds with just about all of King's theology and activism.

But the problem runs deeper than incendiary language deployed for ratings—it's rooted in philosophy. The fellow travelers Sarah Palin and Beck are now calling "constitutional conservatives" are, knowingly or not, resuscitating some of the same constitutional arguments advanced by the pro-segregationist forces that Martin Luther King spent his life fighting.

Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin Rally: A Martin Luther King Nightmare - The Daily Beast

Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
But what does Glenn Beck and his minions say is the meaning of "restoring honor" I went to his website and could not find any explanation.
I am late here but you have to add/8/28 when you go to his web site to get to anything about the event. I hope this isn't taken as trying to make you look like you don't know what is going on but I watch Beck and see those things on the screen at the bottom of the screen.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
<snip>Or you just venting your displeasure that some american want to show an appreciation for the troops? And MLK.
Yet another who swallowed Beck's BS hook, line and sinker. If Beck
wanted to honor the troops he'd cancel this farce of a rally.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
watch his show, DA. there's all the evidence you need, that is if your IQ is over 70.
Hey, AS, I will be doing just as you suggest in about 1 minute as I do every day.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I don't really know what Beck is doing tomorrow other than calling people together for a common purpose. Whether it's to honor troops or sell books or drink beer with the masses. It's really none of my concern. I might even tune in to see what's really going on but Beck is not a routine function of my focus. I can always turn to you for detail.

I do know that there hasn't been a lot of common cause taking place in the U.S. the last couple of decades and that lack of common interest has left this nation in a struggle to maintain its constitutional independence.

Regardless of the reason people have to gather and regardless of what they take away from the experience it's not really your place to judge the value of any individuals experience.

The 8/28 rally is as valid as the cheesy greek column oration in Denver a couple of years ago.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
[....]
Bu bu but you said Beck is an "american want to show an appreciation for the troops? And MLK."
I say nonsense, it's all about Beck and his overinflated ego.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Their honor needs restoring after the way they've been acting, especially Beck

Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
It cracks me up , Your talking about an event that hasnt happened yet like you've already attended it and know whats going to happen.

Tell me what all is Beck going to say since you've already attended the event and know whats going to take place.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
It cracks me up , Your talking about an event that hasnt happened yet like you've already attended it and know whats going to happen.

Tell me what all is Beck going to say since you've already attended the event and know whats going to take place.
No I'm talking about Beck's hype prior to the event, of course you knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies