Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The guide specifically warns “Do not use the Green line or the Yellow line.” You need to use the Green/Yellow line to get to the National Archives, where the Constitution is kept. Is the government aware what a dangerous neighborhood it’s in?
I used to work across the street from the National Archives. I would advise people, especially first time visitors, to stay off most of Pennsylvania Ave. at night.

As you pointed out, you need the yellow line to get to the National Archives - so how is it racist to tell folks to avoid the yellow line? People of all skin colors work in the area and ride it.

You still haven't read the blogger's post, have you?

He wrote:
Many parts of DC are safe beyond the areas I will list here, but why chance it if you don't know where you are?
and again:
There is of course nothing wrong with many other areas; but you don't know where you are, so you should not explore them.

and further, if the blogger is so racist why does he advise visitors how NOT to offend Africans:
As a rule, African immigrants do not like for you to assume they are African Americans and especially do not like for you to guess they are from a neighboring country (e.g. Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia) with whom they may have political or military tensions. It's rare to meet anyone who gets really offended, but you can still be aware of the issue.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 08-25-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 AM

203 posts, read 278,832 times
Katiana, I am from DC. Lived in the area all my life. I walked from Dupont Circle to Georgetown then up to Friendship Heights today. This part of DC is very nice. Why shouldnt this area be promoted? I know as someone who loves DC with all my heart that I would be doing the city a disservice to not encourage them to stay in NW DC because of how nice NW DC is in most places. Ive been to the bad areas of DC. They are really bad. You might not get harassed or injured.

However, the risk is always there. Most of the time the gangs stay away from tourists but sometimes tourists get caught in the crossfire or mugged. Dont be so naive. There is nothing wrong with common sense in dealing with things. Im sure you wouldnt recommend friends that visit your city to go into the bad areas. If you do then you are an idiot quite frankly. While it is good to not sensationalize the violence and crime, it is equally silly to say it doesnt exist and will only affect someone else. Tourists are murdered and assaulted all the time in DC. So are regular residents.

I know I wouldnt recommend to anyone that they should visit most of the areas on the Yellow/Green lines. The Yellow line is fine in Arlington and Alexandria and at L'Enfant. The Green line is fine in some places as well but goes through Anacostia and shares with the Yellow line stops at Cardozo and Columbia Heights. All those areas have a crime problem. Even though some of those areas and yuppifying, there is still a significant crime element.

Equally, I wouldnt recommend to people that they should go on the Red line in NE DC near Brooklyn and New York Avenue stops. Or on the Orange line after RFK stadium.

Most of the buses to the Beck event are going to RFK stadium. RFK is in a pretty shady area. It is on the border between yuppies that are gentrifying Eastern Market and the rest of SE and NE DC that are still pretty bad. Walk a few blocks in any direction from where the tea party folk are going to be bussed in and you can find yourself in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods. While the chances of something happening are low to moderate, the risk is still great and it is greater than if they were in a better area. It is better to not take the risks. RFK is very close to some very bad neighborhoods. No way any sane person can describe many of the neighborhoods near there as being safe. If you say they are safe, you havent been there and dont know what you are talking about.

While it is good to be open minded, you can sometimes be too open minded.

I know plenty of blacks and hispanics, who make up a majority in most of the bad areas of DC, that wont go into those areas. Neither would any recommend that people visit those areas.

I echo what others have said about DC. If you go to NE DC, you will see CUA and the National Shrine. This looks like a nice place and it is. However, it is surrounded by terrible neighborhoods on all sides. If you cross the street, you are entering bad territory. CUA has to tell students to move farther from campus and to be very careful in housing near campus because students have frequently been assaulted and has their homes broken into. When you look at the National Shrine and CUA, you wouldnt believe that it is right in the middle of the ghetto.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I'm simultaneously dumbfounded and yet not surprised that this perfectly asinine thread has bloomed into 12 pages in less than a day.

I look forward to the day when adults recapture the political dialog.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
But a tea party visitors' guide for those attending Saturday's Restoring Honor rally on the National Mall has locals tittering and tweeting about how some anti-government activists view the seat of their government.

It describes the city's predominantly African-American and low-income neighborhoods as ones to avoid and recommends Metro lines that it says are safe (Red) and ones that are not (Green and Yellow).

Good move Beck. Using the honored (and black) Martin Luther King's memory for your bogus rally to tell your followers to be afraid of blacks.
Tea Party Visitors' Guide Has DC Residents Jeering

Glenn Beck Rally Attendees Warned Of Dangers Of DC Metro
It would be kinda dumb to NOT tell people to avoid high crime areas, wouldn't it?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
But a tea party visitors' guide for those attending Saturday's Restoring Honor rally on the National Mall has locals tittering and tweeting about how some anti-government activists view the seat of their government.

It describes the city's predominantly African-American and low-income neighborhoods as ones to avoid and recommends Metro lines that it says are safe (Red) and ones that are not (Green and Yellow).

Good move Beck. Using the honored (and black) Martin Luther King's memory for your bogus rally to tell your followers to be afraid of blacks.

Being you are so brave on here, calling people names behind a keyboard that aren't here to defend themselves, I challenge YOU to go to those areas then come back, if you can and give us a report.

P.S. I worked in D.C.

"The truth, you can't handle the truth".

Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Katiana, I am from DC. Lived in the area all my life. I walked from Dupont Circle to Georgetown then up to Friendship Heights today. This part of DC is very nice. Why shouldnt this area be promoted? I know as someone who loves DC with all my heart that I would be doing the city a disservice to not encourage them to stay in NW DC because of how nice NW DC is in most places. Ive been to the bad areas of DC. They are really bad. You might not get harassed or injured.

However, the risk is always there. Most of the time the gangs stay away from tourists but sometimes tourists get caught in the crossfire or mugged. Dont be so naive. There is nothing wrong with common sense in dealing with things. Im sure you wouldnt recommend friends that visit your city to go into the bad areas. If you do then you are an idiot quite frankly. While it is good to not sensationalize the violence and crime, it is equally silly to say it doesnt exist and will only affect someone else. Tourists are murdered and assaulted all the time in DC. So are regular residents.

I know I wouldnt recommend to anyone that they should visit most of the areas on the Yellow/Green lines. The Yellow line is fine in Arlington and Alexandria and at L'Enfant. The Green line is fine in some places as well but goes through Anacostia and shares with the Yellow line stops at Cardozo and Columbia Heights. All those areas have a crime problem. Even though some of those areas and yuppifying, there is still a significant crime element.

Equally, I wouldnt recommend to people that they should go on the Red line in NE DC near Brooklyn and New York Avenue stops. Or on the Orange line after RFK stadium.

Most of the buses to the Beck event are going to RFK stadium. RFK is in a pretty shady area. It is on the border between yuppies that are gentrifying Eastern Market and the rest of SE and NE DC that are still pretty bad. Walk a few blocks in any direction from where the tea party folk are going to be bussed in and you can find yourself in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods. While the chances of something happening are low to moderate, the risk is still great and it is greater than if they were in a better area. It is better to not take the risks. RFK is very close to some very bad neighborhoods. No way any sane person can describe many of the neighborhoods near there as being safe. If you say they are safe, you havent been there and dont know what you are talking about.

While it is good to be open minded, you can sometimes be too open minded.

I know plenty of blacks and hispanics, who make up a majority in most of the bad areas of DC, that wont go into those areas. Neither would any recommend that people visit those areas.

I echo what others have said about DC. If you go to NE DC, you will see CUA and the National Shrine. This looks like a nice place and it is. However, it is surrounded by terrible neighborhoods on all sides. If you cross the street, you are entering bad territory. CUA has to tell students to move farther from campus and to be very careful in housing near campus because students have frequently been assaulted and has their homes broken into. When you look at the National Shrine and CUA, you wouldnt believe that it is right in the middle of the ghetto.
Thank you mjs, for your intellectual honesty. Sadly, some people feel so guilty about things that they will allow political correctness to trump common sense and safety. I honestly don't get it.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Thank you mjs, for your intellectual honesty. Sadly, some people feel so guilty about things that they will allow political correctness to trump common sense and safety. I honestly don't get it.
That is the second time you have thanked someone who disagreed with me for their "intellectual honesty". Are you saying I am being "intellectually dishonest"?

Since the first such post referenced her home of Orlando, FL, allow me to tell you what I tell people who ask about visiting Denver. Oh, wait, I already did, and got a snarky, off topic response from one the RWs. Nevertheless, I stand by what I said.

I have been in numerous neighborhoods in Denver, including one I lived in, that were considered by some "dangerous". I can honestly say that I never had any problems. When I was a visiting nurse, I did not always know exactly where I was going. In both Pittsburgh and Denver, large cities where I did this work, many people had strange addresses like "123 Sesame St, Rear", which meant driving down an alley to find a little shack or an apt. above a garage, where the pt. actually lived. In addition, that work required me to walk through some sketchy apartment buildings at times, up several fights of stairs indoors. Those are just a couple of examples. Perhaps because of that, I am not particularly afraid of such neighborhoods.

Other people may feel differently about this issue, and that is their prerogative. The poster of the information, a member of the Maine Tea Party, lives in a state that is 96% white, and whose largest city has ~62,000 people; s/he may find a city like DC with all its diversity and its 572,000 people, a bit frightening. I don't. Sorry you choose to find that "intellectually dishonest", sophiasmommy.

I had hoped the personal attacks and thinly veiled personal attacks like "thank you for your intellectual honesty in disagreeing with Katiana" would stop, also the psychoanalysis. I guess not.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It would be kinda dumb to NOT tell people to avoid high crime areas, wouldn't it?
It's kind of "dumb" not to get the irony in all of this. As I stated in a previous post...Beck's followers are that stupid that they cannot understand without being WARNED that they are in an unfamiliar city and to behave as anyone would in new surroundings? Are they six years old? Please show me any other political rally held in the USA that has been so blatant in their obvious singling out out the black areas. How may black people will show up at this rally that has hijacked the name of MLK? My guess is zero to none. Funny that a rally utilizing a revered black leader's memory will host what will be most likely be a very homogenized crowd.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Will ya look at this? Road closures! Remember the hoopla earlier this week about roads closed in LA due to Obama's visit?

Road Closures
Several roads around the Lincoln Memorial and the National Mall will be closed, including 17th Street between Constitution Ave and Independence Ave, and Independence Ave from 17th Street to 23rd Street.
Restoring Honor - 8.28.10

Shocking, just shocking!
I didn't hear anything about LA except here but, for good or ill, road closures/detours/re-directing is a commonplace in DC.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:

Must be a phobia eh, and not based on actual crime statistics?

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies