Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM

531 posts, read 338,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't have many leftist friends on this forum either... I don't think. Nobody likes a gadfly that's moderate in temperament and opinion.
Whats a gadfly???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM

531 posts, read 338,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but you're not being logical. DC is not a safe place to be if you don't know where you're going. Crime is real in this town. The locals know it. Tourists should know it too. Don't candy-coat it.
I heard in Dc theres groups of girl's that do muggings stick ups and all that is that true??

Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 PM

406 posts, read 495,688 times
I've been lost in DC, it sounds like good advice.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
Whats a gadfly???
An annoying person.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
I heard in Dc theres groups of girl's that do muggings stick ups and all that is that true??
You name it, it's here. Not that much different than any other urban landscape in terms of types of crime, but it is different in that it's a relatively small city with people crammed in everywhere. That's why you're literally a stone's throw away from a bad part of town no matter where you live.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
But a tea party visitors' guide for those attending Saturday's Restoring Honor rally on the National Mall has locals tittering and tweeting about how some anti-government activists view the seat of their government.

It describes the city's predominantly African-American and low-income neighborhoods as ones to avoid and recommends Metro lines that it says are safe (Red) and ones that are not (Green and Yellow).

Good move Beck. Using the honored (and black) Martin Luther King's memory for your bogus rally to tell your followers to be afraid of blacks.
Tea Party Visitors' Guide Has DC Residents Jeering

Glenn Beck Rally Attendees Warned Of Dangers Of DC Metro
Glenn Beck Rally Attendees Warned Of Dangers Of DC Metro
So this obscure Maine blogger deserved national attention over this?

I guess the media did him a favor because the rest of his site will get more viewers now.

It isn't very bright to try to turn sound advice (by any rational person's standards) into something nefarious.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM

133 posts, read 72,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
So this obscure Maine blogger deserved national attention over this?

I guess the media did him a favor because the rest of his site will get more viewers now.

It isn't very bright to try to turn sound advice (by any rational person's standards) into something nefarious.
Well, Scarlet, honey, what's the problem? You disagree with his site?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
Duh! That's what you got out of that post?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I doubt anything would happen to them. This whole issue could have been dealt with more diplomatically by GB and Co.
You doubt anything would happen? Really? We are talking about Washington DC here, the "Murder capital of the USA."

According to stats I found at a site called CityRanking, DC has
Murder rate that is 5.75 times the national average.
Forcible rape rate 1.33 times the national average.
Robbery rate 3.11 times the national average.
Aggravated assault rate 2.19 times the national average.

Most of the victims of those crimes likely doubted "anything would happen" too.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 08-24-2010 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Corrected source name.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
Oh honey I don't know. I haven't read it yet, just the article titles.

I was commenting on the irony -- Some are trying to vilify the guy, but the result will be more people visiting and reading his site. They may find they agree with him, and he might recruit more members.

I find that funny, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies