Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

It's not taxes and tax cuts..it's the cost of US labor vs offshore labor.
Offshore labor wins each and every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Than why Europe attracts jobs with more regulations and higher salaries? Even American companies open factories in Europe.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
The only real solution is to engage in protectionist policies. And if anyone thinks protectionist policies don't work, watch this 60 Minutes story about Nucor. It shows how forced U.S. policies to buy U.S. manufactured goods created jobs and improved the local economy of this company.

Could "Buy American" Rule Spark Trade War? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

The reality is that no amount of tax reductions is going to make companies able to compete with offshoring.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The only real solution is to engage in protectionist policies. And if anyone thinks protectionist policies don't work, watch this 60 Minutes story about Nucor. It shows how forced U.S. policies to buy U.S. manufactured goods created jobs and improved the local economy of this company.

Could "Buy American" Rule Spark Trade War? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

The reality is that no amount of tax reductions is going to make companies able to compete with offshoring.
Protectionism works well in Switzerland but it won't work in US. The world can live very well without US but it can't without swiss watches, Nestle and swiss banks.
Actually I never had something made in USA here in Europe. And I don't know anything without I won't be able to live that's made in the US.
The world doesn't need US, but US needs the world.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What people don't understand is that outsourcing offshore labor is no longer limited to manufacturing and large companies.

It's occurring on the local level now. Hospitals are outsourcing radiology services from India. Billing and Accounting services are now outsourced overseas More and more companies are outsourcing. All this is doing is creating more unemployment and a larger class divide.

That's okay though, I guess people in this country are okay with the United States turning into India and China in which there is no middle class. Yeah we need to protect the wealthiest by enabling them to lay off people and outsource people so that they can make 3 million a year instead of 2 million a year.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Protectionism works well in Switzerland but it won't work in US. The world can live very well without US but it can't without swiss watches, Nestle and swiss banks.
Actually I never had something made in USA here in Europe. And I don't know anything without I won't be able to live that's made in the US.
Obviously you didn't watch the video.

The U.S. lived well without the world. It just exploits the rest of the world including Europe. U.S. made superior products in the past but quality has gone down. We can live without Nestle, Swiss Banks and Swiss Watches...give me a break. What a weak argument. Europe on the other hand can't live without the U.S. Without the U.S. base to buy your products, your companies including your banks, wouldn't exist

Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Obviously you didn't watch the video.

The U.S. lived well without the world. It just exploits the rest of the world including Europe. U.S. made superior products in the past but quality has gone down. We can live without Nestle, Swiss Banks and Swiss Watches...give me a break. What a weak argument. Europe on the other hand can't live without the U.S. Without the U.S. base to buy your products, your companies including your banks, wouldn't exist
I watched it and I still believe that protectionism won't work in US. US isn't known for building some products better than other countries (probably just in aerospace industry US has an advantage). US has to be competitive.
Switzerland is world renowned for it's watches and anyone who wants to buy a quality watch will buy a swiss watch instead of a Chinese watch. While when you buy a car you buy the one that offers the best quality for your buck (American cars don't offer that).

Europe will do fine without US. Just about 10% of Europe's exports are to US. Germany, the biggest economy in Europe and the healthiest in the world exports just 6.7% of it's goods and services to US. The US lived well without the world when the world was devastated by a war. When it had to be competitive the US economy collapsed.

The western economies have to make cheaper products than 3rd world countries by innovating and using different strategies like lean production, kaizen or six sigma to save money and reduce the waste. But then the 3rd world countries will always remain 3rd world countries and that's not we want. If the 3rd world countries develop and become wealthier is an advantage for everyone because the market for a lot of products grows.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM

638 posts, read 929,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Very informative. Thanks for the link.

No problem. Thank you!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM

638 posts, read 929,688 times
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I was comparing the official taxes that a corporation has to pay with those in Europe (A lot of countries have lower than 16% taxes for corporations: Romania, Bulgaria, Ireland, Switzerland, Slovenia, and so on... probably more than half of the Europe. Also this countries build highways/roads or other things that a corporation needs to open a factory there. Sometimes they offer taxcuts (so some corporations won't pay a penny for 5 years or so) and incentives

I would need to see a study demonstrating that half of Europe has a corporate tax lower than 16%. All that I know is that our corporate tax rate is nowhere near as high as the official number demonstrated. If us regular Joes got the same breaks the US would definitely be in a conundrum funding wise. Corporations get massive breaks and still move demonstrating in my opinion what should be obvious (their only interested in making as much money as possible). This is the case be it at our or our country’s expense. This situation is extremely serious and dangerous and becomes increasingly reminiscent of the robber baron days of the late 19th and early 20th century.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
And the U.S. can live very well without the rest of the world. Much to many's distaste, our government has chosen not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies