Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But there's lots of outrage over cartoons of mohammed, or if non muslims accidentally kill muslims.

Why isn't there this outrage from the moderates when muslims kill muslims on a daily basis?
How are you quantifying "outrage?"

DC's post is spot on. These "where is your outrage" posts are kind of ridiculous and I am not sure what purpose they serve, except to let people know that you think they should be outraged by this or that thing. So what?

Why limit this to moderates?

Why is there some kind of list in your head about what people should be outraged over?

What about my point about expectations?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Wrong, the reason why there was conflict an dviolence upon those withdrawals was because of the "diversity" of the areas.

Notice how there wasn't this violence when the US left Japan and germany.
Wrong.

The reason that there was conflict and violence in those areas is because it was intentionally and deliberately created.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Yes, i'm so much worse than people who kill other people on a daily basis because they belong to wrong sect

How dare I speak my mind or have opinions! I should be silenced!
Not at all. Who tried to silence you? I invited you to make your case of why we should all be outraged. I invited you to persuade us, rather than put us down. And so you try to re-direct those remarks into an attempt at silencing you. Seriously?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Those people were killed over drugs. Drug are illegal, and I don't use them. They weren't killed because of religious differences.

There's FAR more outrage in the muslim world over stupid cartoons than there is for the DAILY suicide bombings in the muslim world.
So how are (presumably American) moderates to blame for how outraged muslims get over Mohammed cartoons?

Could it be that (gasp) the consider the cartoons an attack on Islam in general, whereas they attribute the suicide attacks to extremists?

I don't think you've even established you premise in the first place. What evidence do you have that they are more outraged about cartoons than suicide bombings?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Wrong.

The reason that there was conflict and violence in those areas is because it was intentionally and deliberately created.
No, it's because they were "diverse" and historically, "diverse" groups of people have never gotten along. It's human nature.

Japan is not diverse, other than a few Ainu and Koreans, it's all Japanese.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
So how are (presumably American) moderates to blame for how outraged muslims get over Mohammed cartoons?

Could it be that (gasp) the consider the cartoons an attack on Islam in general, whereas they attribute the suicide attacks to extremists?

I don't think you've even established you premise in the first place. What evidence do you have that they are more outraged about cartoons than suicide bombings?
So your average (ie moderate) muslim thinks that cartoons are worse than the loss of human life?

Gee, if there were a cartoon about DC being dangerous in an insulting fashion, or if there were driveby shootings killed 15 people, I'd be more outraged of the killings than the cartoon insulting DC. But that's just me. I'm sane. Not everyone else is apparently.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
So your average (ie moderate) muslim thinks that cartoons are worse than the loss of human life?
A moderate muslim? Almost certainly not. Again, what evidence do you have to the contrary? This is your premise but I see no support for it.

Quote:
Gee, if there were a cartoon about DC being dangerous in an insulting fashion, or if there were driveby shootings killed 15 people, I'd be more outraged of the killings than the cartoon insulting DC. But that's just me. I'm sane. Not everyone else is apparently.
Welcome to the real world.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
No, it's because they were "diverse" and historically, "diverse" groups of people have never gotten along. It's human nature.

Japan is not diverse, other than a few Ainu and Koreans, it's all Japanese.

No, look up the difference between direct and indirect rule.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Like this:
Quote:
Germans and, after World War I, Belgians colonized the region. A 1934 Belgian census arbitrarily classified anyone owning more than 10 cows as a Tutsi. Roman Catholic schools educated Tutsis and largely ignored Hutus. But after the Second World War, as decolonization began to sweep Africa, the Belgians did an abrupt about-face.

Colonial rule, which began in the late 19th Century, did nothing to bring the groups together. The Belgians, who ruled what would later become Rwanda and Burundi, forced Hutus and Tutsis to carry ethnic identity cards. The colonial administrators further exacerbated divisions by only allowing Tutsis to attain higher education and hold positions of power.

trinicenter.com - Hutus, Tutsis Crisis

Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
We're right here.

Many have left because they are tired of being labeled as leftists by right wing extremists who have long lost sight of where the middle is.
I'm also a moderate....but honestly, it gets old to get called a righty.
Quote:

Why should I care if the muzzies want to off each other?

Why are you always trying to dictate what people should be outraged about?
Maybe it's the thought that if they kill each other, they're going going to come after us, too. 9/11 proved that to be a valid thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies