Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The problem I have about BET, other than the fact that it is a racially-segregated network (why no WET, or HET, etc.), is that BET reinforces negative black stereotypes. Between the TV shows that showcase the ignorant ghetto mentality, rap videos that glorify greed, violence and promiscuity, "community news" that features such illustrious minds as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and "specials" that glorify crime, BET is basically a modern-day minstrel show. It's not even owned by blacks - it's designed by a major media corporation (Viacom) to take advantage of the basest elements of the black community.
There is nothing that you posted that I don't agree with. But BET isn't the only network with television shows that didn't reinforce stereotypes. If BET shut down tomorrow there would plenty of other networks and shows where the same caliber of programming would be available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM

183 posts, read 168,365 times
Quote:
Also, I don't think it's right for a media outlet to target exclusively any racial demographic, whether it's white, black, hispanic, anything.
It may not always be right, but that's is media. It revolves around a target market. They target fisherman, elderly, race, ect. They get their revenues by advertisers that have target markets. BET could do a better job of encouraging moral values but so could a lot of other media outlets. How PC is family guy? Racism should be discouraged anywhere, does the fact that BET targets a black audience really effect your daily life? You can watch it if you choose to. If your funny enough you may even be able to do a stand up bit on there. I don't know.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:18 PM

183 posts, read 168,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, that's actually a good question. Perhaps when all is said and done the best response would be to ask, Why can't white folks have TV networks and other institutions that are specifically for and about white folks, i.e. Euro-Americans? Before you answer that, let's be clear that there is no TV network that fits that criteria. NBC is not specifically for white folks. A White Woman's Knitting Club is taboo in our society. Why can black folks have these things and whites cannot?
I bet you could get a eurotvnetwork going. It could be ETV your european news/ entertainment network. You would probably need some european sponsors though. What would the content be really? If there were a WET, what would the content be? Is BET's content anti-white? I really don't watch it so IDK.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Here's the thing that gets me. People who complain about racism often are as racist as the people they complain about. In the end, they can't look past the skin colour, and end up blaming people who don't have anything to do with the problem.

Was slavery bad?

Yes.

Does it affect anyone today?

No.

And if it does, then they're pretty much the most thin skinned people alive.

Should we have to pay reparations to those who ancestry comes from slaves?

No.

Sins of the father does not pass on to the child.

Holding on the past only makes one stuck in it and unable to actually move to the future.
Quote:
Does it affect anyone today?

No.

This is the biggest fallacy there is when discussing race relations in this country. The past does affect the present.

If the British had defeated the Continental Army there would be no United States of America as we know it today.

If the Nazis had defeated the Allied forces we would live in a different world than we live in today.

If President John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, and Dr. Martin Luther King hadn’t been assassinated America would be a different place and probably a better place today.

If after the Civil War every effort would have been made to guarantee formers slaves their full rights as citizens and integrate them fully into American society instead of experiencing about 100 years of racial segregation, domestic terrorism, voter intimidation, widespread discrimination in jobs, housing, education and access to financial capital then America and the conditions affecting Black Americans would be totally different than they are today.

No matter what subject you discuss everything that is happening today is predicated on events in the past. If you don't understand or have knowledge of past events then you don't have the ability to fully understand the problems and issues that exist in the present.

To say that past events have no effect on people today defies logic, intelligent thought and honest intellectual discourse about any subject being discussed.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Not hardly. Besides a 300 year history of laws and massive resistance by whites at all milestones to end legal black oppression or to integrate society......there is continued white flight.....there is continued desire not to send white kids to schools with too many blacks....there is continued desire by white to not want to see any efforts by a socity that inflicted them to take part of the responsibility in curing them.....there is a continued effort by many, if not most, whites to call black people lazy, irresponsible, dumb, violent and suggest that.....black people produce and live an inferior culture to that of white people. Why, in the same era and in the same nation would one group of people produce an inferior culture to another group of people if one did not assume it had anything to do with external circumstances? That would mean INTERNAL circumstance.....like the NATURE of the black mind.....is to blame. I mean.....is not culture a reflection of the THINKING of a people if its not bound by environment and circumstance? People are telling blacks that its our culture that is inferior and causing our problems....and not genetics. However, if there is a thought process in the engineering of culture.....by arguing that black people have an inferior culture is to argue, at its roots, that black people have inferior thinking.....in other words.....inferior minds. Everyone knows that suggesting that its genetics PROVES that one is a racist.....and white know this......so they blame it on CULTURE and then argue that the black culture is the creation of BLACK PEOPLE. The bottom line is still the same......they are arguing that black culture is inferior to white culture......which is really no different than arguing that black people are inferior to white people since black people produce black culture and white people produce white culture.
The external circumstances:

What White group or groups have and still indoctrinate Blacks with the idea of inferiority under the guise of helping? Even some Blacks do it.

I mean really...be honest about this.

Here's one of the problems:

Look at how some schools are. Black children are told they are intellectually inferior to White children, and the actions taken reinforce that belief in those children, even if the words aren't spoken aloud. Even some Blacks do it.

And nobody says squat! Nobody refutes it. This strongly suggests groupthink has been ingrained within the majority of the Black community, not only about inferiority but other things as well. If Blacks in general accept these nuances of inferiority, why would you expect Whites to reject it?

Generation after generation of instilling this mindset in those who submit to it, what do you expect. You create a culture of many helpless, hopeless and frustrated people. A vulnerable group of people who trusted White people to have their best interests at heart...just because they say so. Their actions defy their words.

It's criminal.

Was that the plan? Who knows, but until it's recognized by the Black majority and corrected, things will continue as they are or get worse.

You can't change other people. You can only change yourself and you have to be honest about which White people (and some Black) perpetuates victimhood.

You had better look that gift horse dead in the mouth and take responsibility for your individual success and that of your children.

Do you understand plantation politics?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
[quote=scarlet_ohara;15667596]The external circumstances:

What White group or groups have and still indoctrinate Blacks with the idea of inferiority under the guise of helping? Even some Blacks do it.

Uhhhh....people who dismiss hundreds of years of black oppression from causing socioeconomic black inequality today?

I mean really...be honest about this.

Thats my motto

Here's one of the problems:

Look at how some schools are. Black children are told they are intellectually inferior to White children, and the actions taken reinforce that belief in those children, even if the words aren't spoken aloud. Even some Blacks do it.

Uhhhh....got some examples or studies to back this up.

And nobody says squat! Nobody refutes it. This strongly suggests groupthink has been ingrained within the majority of the Black community, not only about inferiority but other things as well. If Blacks in general accept these nuances of inferiority, why would you expect Whites to reject it?

If people don't know of examples or studies that show such is true, and they don't see it........that might be the reason nobodies says quat.

Generation after generation of instilling this mindset in those who submit to it, what do you expect. You create a culture of many helpless, hopeless and frustrated people. A vulnerable group of people who trusted White people to have their best interests at heart...just because they say so. Their actions defy their words.

It's criminal.

Not that I am disagreeing with you.....I just don't know what the hell you are talking about. You have to give examples and demonstrations of what you are talking about. Right now you are speaking in riddles.

Was that the plan? Who knows, but until it's recognized by the Black majority and corrected, things will continue as they are or get worse.

You can't change other people. You can only change yourself and you have to be honest about which White people (and some Black) perpetuates victimhood.

You had better look that gift horse dead in the mouth and take responsibility for your individual success and that of your children.

Do you understand plantation politics?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
The problem I have about BET <snip>, is that BET reinforces negative black stereotypes. Between the TV shows that showcase the ignorant ghetto mentality, rap videos that glorify greed, violence and promiscuity, "community news" that features such illustrious minds as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and "specials" that glorify crime, BET is basically a modern-day minstrel show. It's not even owned by blacks - it's designed by a major media corporation (Viacom) to take advantage of the basest elements of the black community.
I'll agree with your comments and it's only been like this for the last decade or so. The BET that started many years ago is very different from the BET we currently have. If BET really wanted to be the channel that appealed to black people they'd have better programming. I had high hopes for TVOne but they only seem capable of running reruns. When are we going to have a sitcom with a black cast that isn't a fall-down, slap happy comedy? I think the last one might have been Roc or South Central and that's a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, that's actually a good question. Perhaps when all is said and done the best response would be to ask, Why can't white folks have TV networks and other institutions that are specifically for and about white folks, i.e. Euro-Americans? Before you answer that, let's be clear that there is no TV network that fits that criteria. NBC is not specifically for white folks. A White Woman's Knitting Club is taboo in our society. Why can black folks have these things and whites cannot?
And the answer would be because at one point in time white people did have those things and BET is a result of that. You all seem to act like BET just popped up yesterday.

And while we may all want everything to be vanilla ice cream so as not to offend anyone the television networks are well aware that different things appeal to different groups of people. When they do surveys they may find that their largest audience segment is white males between the ages of 18-23...so then they make sure the show keeps appealing to white males between the ages of 18-23. This isn't racist...it's marketing.

There's a reason why you see more tampon commercials on Lifetime than you do on Spike. There's a reason you see the KY ads on VH1 but not on Nickelodeon. Everything is aimed at something. When ideas are being pitched the first question they ask is "who is our audience" If you don't know who your audience is; then how do you market it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny napalm View Post
I bet you could get a eurotvnetwork going. It could be ETV your european news/ entertainment network. You would probably need some european sponsors though. What would the content be really? If there were a WET, what would the content be? Is BET's content anti-white? I really don't watch it so IDK.
If anything BET's content is anti-black but people aren't really upset about the content, they're upset because BET has a target demographic.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I_S:

Why can't you get over yourself. Blacks with your viewpoints give all black Americans a bad reputation. Slavery happened. It's over. Jim Crow happened. It's over. It's 2010 now. We have a black president. We have black governors, senators, CEOs, athletes, actors, musicians, business owners, mayors, city council members and much, much more. Blacks have everything that whites have today, but many blacks hang on to this victim mentality and have this complex about themselves. At what point do you LET IT GO? Forgive and FORGET? It's well past time to forgive and FORGET, forget about being BLACK, and just be AMERICAN and HUMAN. When the majority of blacks learn to let go of the past and embrace the present, the black community will rise from the pit it's in and merge into mainstream American society.
That's cool, Black Americans would love to go about their lives just like other Americans do but then:

Dr. Laura goes into a tirade on the radio using the "N' word

Don Imus calls a college basketball team with predominately Black American female basketball players "Nappy Headed Ho's"

A BART police officer takes a yong black man off a subway train and while he is on the ground restrainted shoots him.

In New York City the overwhelming majority of people stopped by New York City Police and asked for identification and searched are Black American Males.

People still get uptight when they see a Black American dating somebody of another racial group.

When people get surprised when you tell them you are a lawyer, software engineer, business executive, or accountant just because you are a Black American.

It appears that other people also have problems with Black Americans being considered "Just Americans". In fact it wasn't Black people who originally had the problem with Black Americans being considered "Just Americans".

Maybe Black Americans will be able to let go of the past more if other Americans begin to treat them more like "Just Americans".

Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Dr. Laura's "tirade" was illustrating a point about how black people use the "n" word. It wasn't meant to be racist.

Those other things were isolated incidents. Where do you live? I've never heard anyone act surprised at my profession just because I'm (part) black. I've never been stopped by the police because of my race. I've dated white women and never received any comments. Also, I don't live in some "black mecca," the place I live is a rural town that is 3% black and 11% minority.

Really, the only truly racist experiences I've had were from blacks (for "acting white") or Southern whites (in the South, not up here).

Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Dr. Laura's "tirade" was illustrating a point about how black people use the "n" word. It wasn't meant to be racist.

Those other things were isolated incidents. Where do you live? I've never heard anyone act surprised at my profession just because I'm (part) black. I've never been stopped by the police because of my race. I've dated white women and never received any comments. Also, I don't live in some "black mecca," the place I live is a rural town that is 3% black and 11% minority.

Really, the only truly racist experiences I've had were from blacks (for "acting white") or Southern whites (in the South, not up here).
Nearly all African Americans are "part white".....yet, like me, you cannot look at me and see any trace of European features. Saying that you are "part black" does not mean that you can relate to the experience of people who LOOK TOTALLY BLACK. There were a lot of "part black" people who "passed" for whites long ago to escape the sting of racism and oppression. So my point it that just because a person is part black does not mean that they can relate to the experiences of someone who looks all black. Furthermore, Minnesota is a place known for "Minnesota Nice". I have not experienced blatant racism here like I did in Michigan. Its not that racism is not here its just that people in Minnesota are too nice to be overt and bold with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies