Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The reason you have separate cultures is that people just aren't as opened and ready to cross cultural lines. However, that is one thing I see about the younger generation that I find encouraging. They seem much more at ease with each other and more accepting of each other's cultures.
i see this too and while it's encouraging i'm a bit bothered by it at the same time because it seems that the youger generation is embracing all the negatives of each other's cultures. It's a step in the right direction but a leap into the wrong one if that makes any sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That is true to some degree, although in my experience it seems that everybody except black youth are exploring things that were before "taboo". I hope that changes with time.

Well, let me rephrase lower income black youth. It's like they're afraid to step out of their comfort zone, which I totally don't understand because they're comfort zone is anything but comfortable
It HAS changed in Mankato. Granted, the black population here is relatively low (only 3%), but you do see black youth here wearing Hollister, listening to rock and hanging out with white friends. Most "ghetto" (for lack of a better term) black youth here are either college students from the Twin Cities (Mankato is home to Minnesota State University) or recent transplants from Chicago.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
It HAS changed in Mankato. Granted, the black population here is relatively low (only 3%), but you do see black youth here wearing Hollister, listening to rock and hanging out with white friends. Most "ghetto" (for lack of a better term) black youth here are either college students from the Twin Cities (Mankato is home to Minnesota State University) or recent transplants from Chicago.
That's not a melting pot. That's going with what's popular with the majority, which happens to be white. What you're suggesting is it's right because it's white. If that was to happen everything that is rich and unique about America would be lost.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
You sound like a marketing professional. I understand that's how things are, unfortunately. I think it's sad that companies force people into boxes, but I guess that's how they make money, and money makes the world turn.
I'm not but yep that's how money is made. I wouldn't say they force us into boxes, they just kinda create boxes based on the patterns they see. If they see that black people go to Popeyes more than the go to KFC it translates as black people prefer Popeyes to KFC.

Quote:
Personally, I know my tastes don't fit those of the average black consumer.
Neither do mine.

Quote:
I just find it frustrating sometimes to hear people (both black and white, but usually black) try to force me into a box, as if to say "to be black is to be ghetto," and there is no other way.
Same here. You wouldn't believe how many times people I've talked to over the phone or through email meet me and tell me they didn't know I was black...is that something you can tell over the phone or via email

Quote:
Hopefully, over time, blacks will assimilate into the mainstream culture. It's already happening here in Mankato, Minnesota, where most blacks are fully assimilated into general Minnesotan culture. I hope the assimilation takes hold elsewhere, too. I'm all about the "melting pot" vision, where a veritable rainbow of people espouse one, unique American culture. I think it will happen eventually, but probably not in my lifetime. People need to lay aside their racial pretenses, and that will take many generations to fully go away.
Well what's the general Minnesotan culture? In order for us to have one unique, American culture we first have to learn to respect that we are comprised of unique individual cultures.

Quote:
OK so by assimilating into the mainstream culture did you mean doing things that are popular among white people? Because I'm all for people opening up to things that were perceived as something the "other" race does but I don't like the concept that in order for us to be a melting pot we have to embrace things that are considered mainstream (i.e white). What you're suggesting sounds like Stepford.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
That's not a melting pot. That's going with what's popular with the majority, which happens to be white. What you're suggesting is it's right because it's white. If that was to happen everything that is rich and unique about America would be lost.
No, I'm not saying "it's right because it's white." I'm saying that I hope that all Americans will assimilate to a common, mainstream American culture. Since whites make up about 70% of Americans, about 70% of this new culture will be derived from white culture. The remaining 30% should be minority influence.

A melting pot is derived from its ingredients. If 70% of the stew is one thing, the finished stew will have a strong resemblance to 70% of its ingredients.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Well what's the general Minnesotan culture? In order for us to have one unique, American culture we first have to learn to respect that we are comprised of unique individual cultures.

OK so by assimilating into the mainstream culture did you mean doing things that are popular among white people? Because I'm all for people opening up to things that were perceived as something the "other" race does but I don't like the concept that in order for us to be a melting pot we have to embrace things that are considered mainstream (i.e white). What you're suggesting sounds like Stepford.
If an Australian moved to China and had kids in China, wouldn't those kids adopt Chinese culture and take on a Chinese identity because it is the majority culture?

Minnesotan culture is a typical Upper Midwestern culture, similar to Canada. It's influenced by Scandinavian, German, African and Asian cultures. It's too much to explain in one post. If someone is born in Minnesota, why wouldn't they adopt Minnesotan culture?

That's what assimilation is - it's not racist, it just recognizes the reality that people merge into the dominant culture. The new, unique American culture wouldn't be entirely white, but it would be mostly derived from white culture, because they comprise the majority of the American population. Look at Canada, where minorities are much more assimilated than they are here. What does Canadian culture look like? Not entirely white -- it has strong Asian, Native and black influence, but mostly European-based, because most Canadians are of European descent.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
i see this too and while it's encouraging i'm a bit bothered by it at the same time because it seems that the youger generation is embracing all the negatives of each other's cultures. It's a step in the right direction but a leap into the wrong one if that makes any sense
Well you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
If an Australian moved to China and had kids in China, wouldn't those kids adopt Chinese culture and take on a Chinese identity because it is the majority culture?

Minnesotan culture is a typical Upper Midwestern culture, similar to Canada. It's influenced by Scandinavian, German, African and Asian cultures. It's too much to explain in one post. If someone is born in Minnesota, why wouldn't they adopt Minnesotan culture?

That's what assimilation is - it's not racist, it just recognizes the reality that people merge into the dominant culture. The new, unique American culture wouldn't be entirely white, but it would be mostly derived from white culture, because they comprise the majority of the American population. Look at Canada, where minorities are much more assimilated than they are here. What does Canadian culture look like? Not entirely white -- it has strong Asian, Native and black influence, but mostly European-based, because most Canadians are of European descent.
Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because what you're saying sounds horrible to me. I'd never want our country to merge into one dominant culture. I love being able to learn and experience different things by visiting friends or coworkers. I guess I'm more of the celebrate diversity type. You want a melting pot; I want a salad.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
I will agree with this. Young people don't stand for much these days. Younger whites are a lot less racist than older whites and younger blacks are a lot less conscious than older blacks. Neither group understands and respects history. Say what you will....when black youth were conscious it was the greatest era of black advancement......the black youth today are just adrift in selfishness....just like white youth.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because what you're saying sounds horrible to me. I'd never want our country to merge into one dominant culture. I love being able to learn and experience different things by visiting friends or coworkers. I guess I'm more of the celebrate diversity type. You want a melting pot; I want a salad.
As long as one group is not looking down at another group or culture as inferior......its thumbs up to multi-culturalism. I don't like cultures and people that think they are superior. I now live in Brooklyn Park Minnesota.....its the most diverse community in Minnesota. Its about 40% minority with a strong West African, Hmong, African America, East Indian and White population. I love the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies