Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
By that method of reasoning, you should be living in extreme fear all the time. If even 1% of the country are pre-disposed to violence, fear. If people get murdered in your country, fear. If people are assaulted or raped, fear. If people are robbed, fear. If people are molested, fear. And there is not one country on this planet where these things do not happen. Do you live in a constant state of fear?

People who live in the United States don't have any reason to fear the general population of American citizens who happen to be Muslim. There have been Muslims living in this country since it was founded. The number of incidents of American Muslims attacking other Americans for religious reasons is actually much smaller than the number of incidents of Christians and other groups attacking others for religious reasons. Witch trials. Massachusetts outlawing and hanging Quakers. The conflicts between Mormons and traditional Christians. The ongoing issues with the FLDS.

Rationally speaking, we don't have reason to fear Muslims. Islam is not uniformly practiced throughout the world, just as Christianity is not. Both religions have fundamentalists and extremists. Most religions have a history of violence. More than that, we have a rational reason to accept and tolerate Islam and other non-majority reasons in this country. That reason being that we were founded on the principle of freedom of religion. Why did our Founding Fathers thing that freedom of religion was important? Don't their reasons then still apply now?
To me it is all about likelihood. When I walk through the pedestrian zone I am not afraid because I don't know what people believe and think. If I could read minds it would probably be different.
But when I do know what people are likely to believe in, I would act accordingly. If I walk down a street in any Muslim country I - definitely looking a non-Muslim foreigner - would definitely feel much more afraid than if walking down a street in Portugal or Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
To me it is all about likelihood. When I walk through the pedestrian zone I am not afraid because I don't know what people believe and think. If I could read minds it would probably be different.
But when I do know what people are likely to believe in, I would act accordingly. If I walk down a street in any Muslim country I - definitely looking a non-Muslim foreigner - would definitely feel much more afraid than if walking down a street in Portugal or Sweden.
And if you walk down a street in the United States, fear? Or, not? Because that's what we're talking about, isn't it? Fear in the United States of its existing citizens who happen to be Muslim. Irrational fear.

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
How can you stab them through the glass? Ever been in a NYC cab?
This is one of those stories manufactured by liberal freaks to try to stir up hatred. If you read the posted link (particularly the bit the OP didn't post):

Quote:
The 43-year-old driver was able to lock the passenger in the back of the cab and call 911.

Both the driver and the passenger were taken to Bellevue Hospital.

As of late Tuesday, no charges had been filed.
Why would the passenger be taken to the hospital unless he was also injured? If no charges are being filed then the police have determined that either no crime has been committed, or they are unable to determine who was the aggressor, or that neither the driver nor the passenger decided to press charges.

For all we know the cab driver could have attacked the passenger for being an "infidel", and the wounds he suffered were caused when the passenger fought back. Naturally, liberal freaks only post one-side of the story, the side that fosters the most hatred. Why is it there is no statement from the passenger?

If what the OP posted were actually true, do you think that law enforcement wouldn't hesitate for an instant to charge yet another white male with a hate crime?

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Still on that "holy war" thing huh chielgirl.

FYI, the hippie movement was a failure and didn't give the world anything but drug addiction, STDs, bad bands (Grateful Dead) and poverty. Oh and really bad dance moves.
You are confusing the '60's with the 1980's - era of
Cocaine, STDs, AIDS at an all time high. Bad dance moves in the '60's - they just kind of twirled around while high on LSD or sat down smoking pot

The late '60's early '70's probably gave us the best
musicians we will ever hear - from Hendrix to Bowie &
everything in between

Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I think we know where this came from....another byproduct of Islamophobia.

Police: Cab Driver Stabbed By Passenger Who Asked "Are You Muslim?" - NY1.com
Lets arrest Sarah Palin and Newt Gringrich for instigating all of this in the first place.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This is one of those stories manufactured by liberal freaks to try to stir up hatred. If you read the posted link (particularly the bit the OP didn't post):

Why would the passenger be taken to the hospital unless he was also injured? If no charges are being filed then the police have determined that either no crime has been committed, or they are unable to determine who was the aggressor, or that neither the driver nor the passenger decided to press charges.

For all we know the cab driver could have attacked the passenger for being an "infidel", and the wounds he suffered were caused when the passenger fought back. Naturally, liberal freaks only post one-side of the story, the side that fosters the most hatred. Why is it there is no statement from the passenger?

If what the OP posted were actually true, do you think that law enforcement wouldn't hesitate for an instant to charge yet another white male with a hate crime?
The white guy has been charged Thought to be drunk, he was probably taken to the hospital for psychiatric eval.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

He was charged on Wednesday.

The Associated Press: Man held without bail in NYC cab driver stabbing

Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And if you walk down a street in the United States, fear? Or, not? Because that's what we're talking about, isn't it? Fear in the United States of its existing citizens who happen to be Muslim. Irrational fear.
I disagree. Islamophobia means being afraid of Islam, not necessarily people. And yes, if I walked down a street in the US or anywhere else and knew who was Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. I would probably try to avoid people in the given order based on their religion. Just to be on the safer side, without knowing any of those people.

And since you mention the US, I would clearly be more fearful in general walking down a street in any US city than here in Europe.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I disagree. Islamophobia means being afraid of Islam, not necessarily people. And yes, if I walked down a street in the US or anywhere else and knew who was Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. I would probably try to avoid people in the given order based on their religion. Just to be on the safer side, without knowing any of those people.

And since you mention the US, I would clearly be more fearful in general walking down a street in any US city than here in Europe.
The key phrase being "knew who was Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc." But since we cannot know the beliefs of someone based on their appearance, or even their clothes, then what you are saying is avoid contact with everyone?????

And since the thread is about the US, I would say that your fears about walking down a street in "any US city" are irrational. If you have a reason to fear, that's one thing, but just being fearful in general is essentially irrational.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There should be no such thing as a hate crime. Why does it matter if he slashed the cabbie's throat because he is Muslim or because he was a cabbie.
Actually there should be and the reason why historically is in this country violence and domestic terrorism has been used as tool to oppress and intimidate specific groups of people based on religion, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation and gender.

The fact that an act is violent or unlawful is speaks for itself. But the fact the crime is an instrument used to intimidate, terrorize, and oppress should carry an additional penalty to deter its use in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies