Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Obamacare! You've outlawed the special low-cost health insurance that colleges offer to students. Unintended Consequence #37, brought to you by your Democratic Congress--the ones who really know what is best for you.

Health Overhaul Could Threaten Student Health Plans : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Wow..that's going to be a big hit (in a bad way) to college students.

When I went to college full time I had a student health plan. Private plans were way too expensive.
If it weren't for that student health plan I would have had NO insurance as I quit my job to go to college full time to get a degree.

Another "bomb" for Obamacare. And this was supposed to HELP people ?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
not to worry you can borrow the money to pay the fine for not having ins on your gov student loan.all is good in obamaville

Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
My son's state college just tried to sell him their health plan. I don't know about the other 49 states, but here in NY they aren't all that affordable.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Well, even if everything in that article comes to pass, it's not going to affect many people. From the link:

While 80 percent of college students were insured, often through their parents' coverage, only 7 percent bought their own policies or purchased one of the school-based plans, according to the GAO.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, even if everything in that article comes to pass, it's not going to affect many people. From the link:

While 80 percent of college students were insured, often through their parents' coverage, only 7 percent bought their own policies or purchased one of the school-based plans, according to the GAO.
Yeah, 7% of millions of students isn't very many, so let's just gloss over the problem and pretend like Obamacare is a well-thought out, effective approach.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Ummmm, where is any insurance currently affordable?
I didn't have health insurance when I went to college decades ago.

What were the stats under Bush?

Mountains from molehills.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
My college's health care plan was crap from the get-go. Lifetime maximum benefits are a pitiful 50,000, and the premium was something like 2% of the max benefits, 10% if you want to insure your spouse and even more for kids. Coverage is only 100% for the student health clinic where you can get birth control, stitches and not much else. Anything done in local hospitals is only 35% covered.

From my experience, these low-cost plans are not worth the paper they're printed on. They seem to be aimed at charging those students who are already covered by their parent's plans a few extra thousand a year to be able to use the school clinic.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
My college's health care plan was crap from the get-go. Lifetime maximum benefits are a pitiful 50,000, and the premium was something like 2% of the max benefits, 10% if you want to insure your spouse and even more for kids. Coverage is only 100% for the student health clinic where you can get birth control, stitches and not much else. Anything done in local hospitals is only 35% covered.

From my experience, these low-cost plans are not worth the paper they're printed on. They seem to be aimed at charging those students who are already covered by their parent's plans a few extra thousand a year to be able to use the school clinic.

It's only a temporary insurance plan while you go to school.
It's certainly better than having nothing. It was certainly cheaper than an individual plan from an insurance company.
I had it for 3 years while I went to school full time.

It fulfilled a gap for that 7%.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ummmm, where is any insurance currently affordable?
I didn't have health insurance when I went to college decades ago.

What were the stats under Bush?

Mountains from molehills.
My daughter went to college in CO during the Bush administration and had good school ins and very affordable to boot. but it really had nothing to do with Bush. He did not create obamacare, and he is not president anymore. why must you keep bringing him up? are you a stalker or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies