Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Enuff with the double talk! What's this got to do with the price of tea in Pakistan?? Stay on point! Those clowns were muslim terrorists and you know it! Every freakin' day we have some NEW threat from some where on the globe and Muslims involved! This Canadian bust is just that! Now we have some military aggitator that won't shoot Muslims to defend his country! Why? Because he's a Muslim! I think the little snot just doesn't want to get shot at!
There's no double-talk. It's just using reason to address problems, rather than emotion to address problems. Emotional responses can be overkill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Its only a phobia if it does not have any root in reality. Being distrustful of Muslims, when there are Muslims from all over the world murdering people in the name of Islam, then I'd say it is not a phobia.
I still don't see why the actions of some justify a generalization. As long as there are peaceful Muslims alongside violent ones, then the generalization is not justified. What's wrong with going by what people actually do instead of writing them off because of less-than-guaranteed preconceptions?

If someone commits an act of terrorism, that's one thing, but to hate a Muslim because some Muslims have committed acts of terrorism is being totally unfair to all the Muslims who have zero interest in committing acts of violence in the name of their religion.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
... If someone commits an act of terrorism, that's one thing, but to hate a Muslim because some Muslims have committed acts of terrorism is being totally unfair to all the Muslims who have zero interest in committing acts of violence in the name of their religion.
I'm having a hard time regarding the "good" muslims and the "bad" muslims. "Oh no! That wasn't us. That was the bad muslims!"

There was a piece on NPR on Monday European Islamophobia Finds A Home In The U.S. : NPR, a rant by a self described angry muslim who states that "I can't imagine how the next generation of American Muslim youth will react to such provocations. I pray that we never find out." The threat made in response to Americans' objections to a mosque at Ground Zero. Needless to say the piece receives a lot of comments from US citizens. One of the latest included this link to an informative piece on YouTube:

YouTube - Islam - Three Things You Should Know

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Honestly, given the definition the left and western muslims use for it, the biggest islamophobes would technically have to be other muslims. You know, the sunni shiite rift? But I guess since neither of them considers the other to be muslims, maybe technically I'm wrong.

But the sunni/shiite hatred and violence far far outweighs any anti muslim sentiment here in the west, but the left, and western muslims, will completly ignore that fact.
Well, the Iraqis that want Americans to stay in Iraq longer, are not afraid of the Jews, or the Catholics, they are afraid of other Muslims. Maybe they are Islamophobes too.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I'm having a hard time regarding the "good" muslims and the "bad" muslims. "Oh no! That wasn't us. That was the bad muslims!"

There was a piece on NPR on Monday European Islamophobia Finds A Home In The U.S. : NPR, a rant by a self described angry muslim who states that "I can't imagine how the next generation of American Muslim youth will react to such provocations. I pray that we never find out." The threat made in response to Americans' objections to a mosque at Ground Zero. Needless to say the piece receives a lot of comments from US citizens. One of the latest included this link to an informative piece on YouTube:

YouTube - Islam - Three Things You Should Know

Can you write a transcript or a summary of the video? I'm deafblind, but I am interested in the piece.

It would be great if someone could actually honor this request. I've asked several times, but either my request has been ignored or lost in the long thread of posts.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:04 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
This thread needs to lighten up so here's a top ten list on the Ground Zero Controversy..
10.The RNC sent MSNBC a thank you note and gift basket for helping them win in this November's elections.
9.The attacker actually asked the cab driver " Are you a Red Sox fan?" before he stabbed him.
8.Keith Olbermann made up a new term "MSNBCophobia", to explain his terrible ratings.
7. President Obama held a beer summit over the Ground Zero Mosque controversy, but it ended abruptly when Harry Reid got drunk and asked him" Are you a moslem?" and had to be restrained.
6. Mayor Bloomberg at first thought the cab driver's attacker was angry over health care legislation.
5. An alternate site for the Mosque was suggested, Shanksville Pa. But it was refused, as the locals " cling to their guns and religion, distrust outsiders and that's not what islam is all about."
4.Janet Napolitano sugggested rounding up all the NYC firemen, police, rescue workers and Gulf War vets as possible suspects in the cab driver attack.
3. Obama is considering buying his own Martha's Vineyard vacation home, noting all the for sale signs, foreclosures and dropping real estate values.
2. The attacker was clearly deranged, mumbling " Kubar, what is the frequency?" as he attacked the cab driver.
1. The stabbing incident ended president Obama's plans to become a NYC cab driver after he leaves office in 2012.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
... It would be great if someone could actually honor this request. I've asked several times, but either my request has been ignored or lost in the long thread of posts ...
Hey nim, I'm sorry I don't know how to do this, but you sure raise an interesting question. With all the new speech to text, translation, Braille and other technologies that are appearing on the web, I wonder if there is a solution to your request. And especially with the popularity of YouTube. I'll keep looking.

Regards, qw

Old 08-28-2010, 06:19 PM

531 posts, read 338,173 times
Quote:
Can you write a transcript or a summary of the video? I'm deafblind, but I am interested in the piece.

It would be great if someone could actually honor this request. I've asked several times, but either my request has been ignored or lost in the long thread of posts.

Thanks!
Citizen Warrior: A Message To Peaceful Muslims

Here you go is summarizes it and then some. The first part of the video is taken directly from the article. Enjoy!!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Hey nim, I'm sorry I don't know how to do this, but you sure raise an interesting question. With all the new speech to text, translation, Braille and other technologies that are appearing on the web, I wonder if there is a solution to your request. And especially with the popularity of YouTube. I'll keep looking.

Regards, qw
In terms of YouTube, this is the closest I've come so far. Any YouTube user can create a caption file for their video. They just have to go to the captions section of their video and download automatic captioning. Then they can go through and correct any errors (speech recognition software isn't perfect yet, especially with the background noises that occur in videos) and upload their corrected file. (That makes it accessible to the sighted deaf.) In addition to uploading it up to YouTube, they can copy paste the text file into the information section. And of course, the user can delete the time stamps and add in descriptions of visual content if they want (which then makes it accessible to the deaf-blind.)

In terms of the Internet, the TED website has really cool software where they have something called an interactive transcript. You can open it up on the side. It's perfect because I can read it like a text document. TED also provides captions in dozens of languages. It also includes a summary and a background of the speaker. Here's an example.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-28-2010 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
Citizen Warrior: A Message To Peaceful Muslims

Here you go is summarizes it and then some. The first part of the video is taken directly from the article. Enjoy!!
Thanks so much, Blewcas.

That was a really interesting article. I agree that rather than defend Islam, which is the most natural reaction people have when their religion is questioned, peaceful Muslims should try to explain that they believe in a modified, modernized Islam, and then both peaceful Muslims and non-Muslims should strive to work together to either convert violent Muslims to peaceful Islam or choke off their sources for carrying out violence. And I also agree with his advice. I'm in the process of (re)reading the Bible but once I am done with the Bible, I plan on reading the Qur'an. I think it'd be a good idea if reading the Qur'an became compulsory in school, like the Bible already is in many schools (not necessarily always as something to believe in, but also for the major cultural and literary context it provides).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies