Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Using a mind-altering drug is a poor way of putting up with some of the people in life.
Yet Big Pharma continues to prosper. The hypocrisy truly amazes me when it's OK for Mom to take a Valium 'cause she's tired of hearing the baby crying but take a coupla tokes? There's just no limit to what a powerful $$$ lobby can buy.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:53 AM

646 posts, read 393,704 times
you can't patent a plant, and as a result, the government can make more money in fines, than it could by legalizing dope. do a little research on stevia. the FDA hated that stuff, until cargil obtained a patent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yet Big Pharma continues to prosper. The hypocrisy truly amazes me when it's OK for Mom to take a Valium 'cause she's tired of hearing the baby crying but take a coupla tokes? There's just no limit to what a powerful $$$ lobby can buy.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

SOMA, try some.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
They were a 'hell no we won't go' group of people, who bucked the system. Then people became neutered and the movement ended.
No, it didn't end. The war and the draft eventually ended, each in its own special stew of disgrace, but the movement (which is actually the wrong word for it) still pressed forward on issues of women's rights, gay rights, the rights of racial and ethnic minorities, decriminalization of recreational drugs, the rationalization of immigration law, and now it appears as though we may have to deal further with rank anti-Muslim bigotry as well. The movement didn't end because the abuses of ignorance and intolerance didn't end. That's what it was about to begin with, and that's what it is about today.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, it didn't end. The war and the draft eventually ended, each in its own special stew of disgrace, but the movement (which is actually the wrong word for it) still pressed forward on issues of women's rights, gay rights, the rights of racial and ethnic minorities, decriminalization of recreational drugs, the rationalization of immigration law, and now it appears as though we may have to deal further with rank anti-Muslim bigotry as well. The movement didn't end because the abuses of ignorance and intolerance didn't end. That's what it was about to begin with, and that's what it is about today.
Ha! Just because daddy is a mill worker doesn't mean the son will be a mill worker. Just because daddy is a lawyer doesn't mean the son will grow up to be a lawyer.

"Daddy, I want to be independent and have my own way my own thoughts and my own life, I do not want to be like you."

That's what it was all about.

"Just because mama you married daddy and had a dozen kids, doesn't mean me, your daughter will marry and have a dozen kids too. Mama I do not want to be like you. I want my own life to be lived my own way".

That's what it was all about.

From the creation of music, to the bongs, to the anti-war protest, we the children of America want peace to live free and make our own way.

We will not be held to the government's 'bigotry'.

We are who we are and we are who we say we are and we will fight for ourselves our dignity to live our lives the way we see fit and we don't care what any one else says about it. Be gone, the lot of ya.

Then they became, neutered and the closest thing to freedom is the backyard barbecue party held in the neighborhood, where they toast their beer and remember a day when American's use to fight, all who stood in their way, to be free.

PS: The son is a lawyer now, just like his daddy. Makes a good living, but he isn't free. "The cats in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon, when you coming home dad...."

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-03-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM

646 posts, read 393,704 times
what right do I have, that a black person or a woman doesn't have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
1. Yes, use of marijuana and experimenting with other drugs. But that wa not always bad. Smoking reefer was enjoyed by many.
2. No contempt for family. Hippies had families too.
the 'sexual revolution' was to counter baseless prude values. And to promote the idea that the human body is not to be despised, that sexual desires do not come from satan.
3. Lack of respect for marriage? That's a religious value.
4. Questioning the work ethnic, does it get anywhere? Is the work ethic the reason for living?
5. Bad manners? like what? Thinking for yourself?
6. Sloppy dress? Dress casually.
7. Question authority.
8. Many hippies were former military sent to war in Viet Nam.
The hippies knocked the Status Quo and questioned authority.
For those who believe that authority should not be questioned and all people should conform to mindless obedience the hippies were 'bad'.
I agree Vis.

re#3...lack of respect for marriage- probably bcs most have gone through divorce and pay 50% of their salaries for child support...so I can sort of understand why a man age 50 may not want to get married again.....In NYC thats like 200k garnished if you make 350k salary.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
1. Yes, use of marijuana and experimenting with other drugs. But that wa not always bad. Smoking reefer was enjoyed by many.
2. No contempt for family. Hippies had families too.
the 'sexual revolution' was to counter baseless prude values. And to promote the idea that the human body is not to be despised, that sexual desires do not come from satan.
3. Lack of respect for marriage? That's a religious value.
4. Questioning the work ethnic, does it get anywhere? Is the work ethic the reason for living?
5. Bad manners? like what? Thinking for yourself?
6. Sloppy dress? Dress casually.
7. Question authority.
8. Many hippies were former military sent to war in Viet Nam.
The hippies knocked the Status Quo and questioned authority.
For those who believe that authority should not be questioned and all people should conform to mindless obedience the hippies were 'bad'.
1) agree... drugs should be leagalized
2) Breakdown of the family has turned into a huge problem in America. "Prude" values? What is prude about people having a little responsibility for their actions and having kids only when they are mature enough to have them?
3) Not sure what the guy you are responding to meant by this
4)A good work ethic is good for America... something that is becoming archaic as well today
5) Thinking for yourself is becoming archaic these days. In the 60's several good things came of free thinking like civil rights, environmental concern, ending an unjust war.... now people do and think as the media tells them to

6) casual dress is cool, although the fashions today are laughable at best
7) questioning authority is good only when those doing the questioning have facts and knowledge
8) Wish more people would reject today's "status quo"

So there were good and bad to come from the hippie generation.... which is much better than todays mindless idiots who live their lives for crap music, texting, reality tv and whatever mindless nonsense the media tells them to pay attention to

Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Hippies are usually awesome people tbh

Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I got back from 'Nam just as the "hippy" movement started. Too bad I missed Woodstock but I was busy with something else. Don't remember what. I would hav eremembered woodstock, I think. I agreed with most of them and their goals.

BTW - We had far better dope in 'nam. good stuff that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies