Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raise voting age to 30?
Yes! The 20 somethings don't know what they're voting for 23 18.55%
No 86 69.35%
Maybe raise it to 21? 15 12.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM

133 posts, read 72,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I myself am in my 20s and think we are not cut out to make decisions that risk the fate of the country. I know how people my age think and it's scary. Most of my age group is full of wanna be hippies... Free everything, and easy living.

I know there is an exception to this generalization, but for the most part it seems most are not informed enough about long term consequences of their votes.
but at 20-something you are cut out to fight and die for your country? not to worry; many people in your age group don't vote anyway. As a country we cannot allow people to join the military and die in wars and at the same time not allow those same people to vote because of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Since I would still be allowed to vote under your proposal, your comment is irrelevant..

Btw, the median age of Faux News viewers is 65....is that who you want running the country?
That is what's running our counrty now!

Nancy Pelosi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harry Reid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Since I would still be allowed to vote under your proposal, your comment is irrelevant..

Btw, the median age of Faux News viewers is 65....is that who you want running the country?
You mean do I want people who have lived through hard times, recessions and depressions, wars and movements to make decisions on how the country is run? Uh, yeah I kinda do...

Lets cut the crap, I myself don't know all the ins and outs of how to run a country. I haven't been around long enough to know how it all works. I don't know the right procedures for getting out of a recession, or what works best to get out of one. This is the first recession I remember vividly in my life.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 AM

133 posts, read 72,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The problem is not one of age it is one of people who contribute nothing to the system determining how much those who do must contributed back to them.

Many of us knew the implication of the Obama vote. Many of us saw the disaster as all the ingredients of his ideology became apparent. If one is going to be a responsible voter one cannot just "study up" the day before elections.

When people discover how to vote themselves money balance of power and freedom is in peril. And so it is.
sounds like you would support some sort of knowledge testing or contributions testing in order to vote? like that sort of authoritarian approach, do you? Has it ever occurred to you that the entire political system is NOT about social services programs?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
You mean do I want people who have lived through hard times, recessions and depressions, wars and movements to make decisions on how the country is run? Uh, yeah I kinda do...

Lets cut the crap, I myself don't know all the ins and outs of how to run a country. I haven't been around long enough to know how it all works. I don't know the right procedures for getting out of a recession, or what works best to get out of one. This is the first recession I remember vividly in my life.
Just because you don't fell grownup enough to vote, doesn't mean other 20 somethings aren't. In fact, I'd suggest the problem is yours and yours alone.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
Really what does Fox News have to do with this thread or anything with the voting age? Is it every post you have involves someone being racist or Fox News.
He ran out of anything credible and informative to say...or maybe there never was anything.

I don't think it's right to send someone off to die for their country if they can't even vote.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Just because you don't fell grownup enough to vote, doesn't mean other 20 somethings aren't. In fact, I'd suggest the problem is yours and yours alone.
This. This times 1000.

Don't take away my voting rights and the voting rights of your peers simply because you don't feel confident enough to make the right choice.

IMO, old enough to die for your country means you should be old enough to vote, drink, and be an adult.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
but at 20-something you are cut out to fight and die for your country? not to worry; many people in your age group don't vote anyway. As a country we cannot allow people to join the military and die in wars and at the same time not allow those same people to vote because of age.

That is a good point Armando.

However, you're looking at it from the perspective of the 30+ y/o people making decisions that would purposefully, and in a negative way affect the way the way 20 somethings live.

The way I look at it is that if I'm fighting for my country, I want real adults who have been through more in life to make the better decisions. It's the parental affect... If you were on the front lines fighting a battle, would you want a commander who was 21 y/o making all the calls, or a seasoned veteran 45 year old guy with metals and honors?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
The way I look at it is that if I'm fighting for my country, I want real adults who have been through more in life to make the better decisions. It's the parental affect...
What is this I don't even.

Parental Affect?!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Uninformed voting is the norm across all age groups, I'm sorry to say. Most voters are "low-information voters", especially in less visible elections. They may have a pretty good idea about who they want to be President or Governor, but how often are voters exactly informed about their tax commissioner candidates? Or Bureau of Lands commissioners.

The voting age is fine where it is. At 18 you're a legal adult. Any increase would be entirely arbitrary.
Exactly if a person is old enough to protect us then they are old enough to Vote. Anything else doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies