Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
my point remains that these families in miss are so messed up. the school knows the white kids wont vote for the blacks, which is why they created the guaranteed spots.

ole miss is known for being one of the most poorly educated, highest poverty, high divorce rate state in the nation.
No more messed up than all the government mandates insisting that companies and fire departments bring in a certain amount of minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Actually, it mostly resembles a quotas programs of the kind beloved by northern liberals. They are assigning slots based on race in order to keep everyone happy. Its not segregation at all. Its a form of Affirmative Action.

And you have discovered why such policies are doomed to fail. You start doing this stuff and it inevitably leads to stupidity.

They should just have elections. Plain, old elections. I find it unfathomable that there are not worthy candidates of every color. Were they to have a black president, would he or she seal of the cafeteria from the others?

If color does not matter, then it does not matter. End of story.
I've read both of your posts, so far. And so far, your reasoning lacks sound and fair judgement. Stop defending this. It's outdated and it's wrong. Just admit it and go on. The problems continue when people defend something rather than solve and repair. Is admitting something is outdated and wrong really that difficult?

When I first read it I thought it sounded crazy, so I went to the school district's page. The first thing I saw were the school administrators for the middle school. Two were Black. I wondered why they hadn't complained. That made me think there must be some other reason for this policy. Though I didn't read far enough, I guessed this might be on a rotaional basis. (that's still wrong and not a good way to handle elections!) It sounds like they were trying to find a response to racism 30 years ago, and just never brought their policies up to date.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No more messed up than all the government mandates insisting that companies and fire departments bring in a certain amount of minorities.
incorrect.

whites not voting for blacks is discrimination, which is why the school district knew they had to guarantee spots. with a white majority they knew the majority would just vote for whites and exclude the blacks.

this is ole miss. dont sugar coat it, they dont want to vote for the blacks, which is why they put int he policy. simple as that.

now this mandate about hiring is different because there are qualifications that they have to meet. which i agree with you, there should be no mandates.

there are no mandates for class president. anyone can be class president. whites just dont want blacks to be the class president. simple as that.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I've read both of your posts, so far. And so far, your reasoning lacks sound and fair judgement. Stop defending this. It's outdated and it's wrong. Just admit it and go on. The problems continue when people defend something rather than solve and repair. Is admitting something is outdated and wrong really that difficult?

When I first read it I thought it sounded crazy, so I went to the school district's page. The first thing I saw were the school administrators for the middle school. Two were Black. I wondered why they hadn't complained. That made me think there must be some other reason for this policy. Though I didn't read far enough, I guessed this might be on a rotaional basis. (that's still wrong and not a good way to handle elections!) It sounds like they were trying to find a response to racism 30 years ago, and just never brought their policies up to date.
I agree.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
I'm always a little amused when there's an objection to some kind of open racial bias or discrimination in one school or another. Sometimes the objection is about segregated proms. Sometimes the objection is about class elections that have racial discrimination. I'm amused because there are Afrocentric schools operating right there in plain sight. That's not discrimination at the class officers level. I'm talking about an entire school.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Just looks like the South is holding on to their roots. lol

Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Well the south has always had stubborn people that don't like change. Look at a lot of the issues today. The south has a lot of hold outs but once they are forced into it and get used to it and see its not so bad then most accept it. Keyword is most. Still have those that will hold out and complain until they die.

It isn't just stubborness. It is an attitude that says I don't want to socialize with them or work beside them or have my kids be exposed to them. I think they are mentally inferior, they smell and are dirty. Even the Bible says they are the spawn of Cain. As a Free American I really resent being told I can't keep them down and keep them in their place.
In the past they understood their place but the outsiders have made them uppity. Especially that uppity one in the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies