Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
curious. I'm an agnostic, so I don't really care, but I'm just wondering. is it because being tolerant of "other" religions is considered liberal? is it because it's known as "christian" conservative in this country?
It's like why people climb mountains... because they are there!

Seriously, there are different levels of "attack". There are the "attacks" based upon purely theological issues and there are "attacks" based upon the theocratic nature of conservative evangelicals. They are based on different issues.

I would venture to guest that most atheist are indeed liberal/progressives. I would venture to guest that the tone that atheist take with liberal christians is qualitatively different than arguments between liberal Christians and those of a conservative bent, but atheist are no less critical of theist regardless of the politics.

I have also noticed little tolerance for theist arguments based upon other religions who are involved in spreading the "word" of their faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think there are a couple of reasons that Christians are targeted.

First they are the biggest religious group-- Here in New England it seems like there is a church on every corner. Perhaps the other reason is that they are a big group with a sizable evangelical contingent. I've never had a Jew or Muslim or Sikh or Taoist or Bhuddist presume to tell me how I should live my life, but evangelicals seems to have no problem telling me who I should love, whether I have the right to stop my medical care if my illness is terminal, or whether I can drink liquor on Sundays. I should note that while evangelicals are perfectly willing to legislate their version of morality for me, they seem to have a lot of trouble meeting their own expectations...
I don't want to generalize all Christians as being like this, but this has been my experience too. Of all the people I know of varying religions, Christians seem to be the most keen on telling me how to live my life or trying to explain why things are the way they are. This isn't to say there aren't those of other religions who do the same, but just that within the U.S. culture and context, it seems to be Christians that are the most vocal about their own beliefs. I think part of the reason is because since the nation is majority Christian, most Christians are used to being able to be vocal about their beliefs and having others agree with them. It becomes expectation. Whereas with other minority religions, people get in the habit of practicing their religion more privately because stating their beliefs is more likely to offend others or at least result in disagreement.

In many other countries, this whole dynamic could probably be replaced with "Islam." So I don't think it's about the religion, I just think it has to do with being part of the religious majority.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
why do atheists only attack christianity?
Cause they're bigoted liberals.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
I think its generally because of $$, power and influence. One of the biggest issues over the last few years regarding atheists speaking out on religion has been about Gay Marriage. Now I'm sure you will find those who are in favor of Gay Marriage and against in from every background, every religion, etc, but as far as the argument goes within the U.S, those who are against it and the the influence, power and $$$ behind them are overwhelmingly conservative Christians, especially regarding politicians. Take a look at those in this country who are the most outspoken against Gay marriage, especially among political figures, how many of them would not fall under the category of conservative Christian?? Very few...

Now the overall issue is likely bigger than Gay marriage, but that debate has certainly kicked it up a few notches.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Cause they're bigoted liberals.
Look up Richard Dawkins. He's an equal-opportunity attacker. Many of his followers are opposed to religion in general, not just Christianity.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
None of the other religions come to my door and annoy me.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM

646 posts, read 393,936 times
I agree with your different levels of attack standpoint. the way a normal methodist is approached, is probably much different than the way a evangelical is approached. I do see some irony in the liberal atheist thing though. it's as if they are replacing one savior for another. what's the difference in blind faith in GOD, and blind faith in washington? aren't they both figures of our imagination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's like why people climb mountains... because they are there!

Seriously, there are different levels of "attack". There are the "attacks" based upon purely theological issues and there are "attacks" based upon the theocratic nature of conservative evangelicals. They are based on different issues.

I would venture to guest that most atheist are indeed liberal/progressives. I would venture to guest that the tone that atheist take with liberal christians is qualitatively different than arguments between liberal Christians and those of a conservative bent, but atheist are no less critical of theist regardless of the politics.

I have also noticed little tolerance for theist arguments based upon other religions who are involved in spreading the "word" of their faith.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
what's the difference in blind faith in GOD, and blind faith in washington? aren't they both figures of our imagination?
People don't have blind faith in Washington. At least not in a faith-worship-god kind of way. Besides, we can vote the gods of Washington away if we choose.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
It is, I agree, simple-minded to think that all atheists are 'liberal'. I have known many a 'conservative' that is a non-believer, although they may have strong beliefs in the conservative message. My grandmother went to church six days a week, but she would have been considered, in this age of 'labels', a 'liberal'.

Remember: using labels for people (so and so is 'conservative', while so and so is 'liberal') is only used by the 'simple' people, who wish everthing to be reduced to bumper-sticker brevity. The world is much more complicated.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 PM

515 posts, read 716,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
I think its funny atheist's always say I hate how people believe in god, and always try to prove them wrong.They start calling all people with faith stupid. Then say they they hate Christian's because they push there beliefs.
Hmmm; generalize much?

Many (note that I write many, not all) atheists are ex christians who have simply liberated their minds and have no need of an imaginary sky daddy.

Most of us (note the word, most, not all) do, however, understand the need of christians, jews, muslims, hindus and whatevers to believe...if it brings you comfort, go for it. Just don't infringe on our right to be free of the nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies