Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It defines a natural born citizen. You are wrong in your disingenuous attempt to claim otherwise. You do realize that you are flat out wrong in that absurd assertion, right?

You've been given the definition of a foreign national more than once. You have yet to show any comprehension of it. It does not mean what you think it means.
Still trying to penetrate that wall I see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You can't be a foreign national if you are born in the U.S....
Link the law that says a child born in the U.S. cannot acquire another country's citizenship at birth via a non-U.S. citizen biological parent.

Hint: There is none.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Still trying to penetrate that wall I see
Notice that Jill61 cannot cite evidence to support what she claims.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Link the law that says a child born in the U.S. cannot acquire another country's citizenship at birth via a non-U.S. citizen biological parent.
Cite the law that says acquiring citizenship of another country or having dual citizenship is makes one inelligible for the POTUS.

Hint: there is none.

Why: thomas jefferson (dual citizenship before he became POTUS)

Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Notice that Jill61 cannot cite evidence to support what she claims.

Notice: IC hasn't provided evidence that a natural born citizens cannot have duel citizenship under US Law.

Notice: IC han'st provided evidence via Law or the Constitution that a candidate for president cannot have dual citizenship to qualify.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Listen up, IC. The State Department has this to say about a person born with dual citizenship:
". . . [A] person who is automatically granted another citizenship (i.e., is considered a citizen of 2 or more countries at birth) does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship."

US State Department Services Dual Nationality
The requirements of becoming President of the United States are spelled out quite clearly in the U.S. Constitution, and there are only THREE of them:

1. Must be a natural born U.S. Citizen (which precludes naturalized citizens)
  2. Must have attained a minimum of 35 years of age
  3. Must have been a permanent resident of the United States for a minimum of 14 years.

The Constitution is silent on any other qualifications. Not only does it not say that you cannot hold dual citizenship, but there is absolutely no case law that makes that claim, either. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

As the State Department goes on to say, "The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance."

So, let's encapsulate:

• Barack Obama is a natural born citizen of the United States of America by virtue of having been born in Hawaii (U.S. soil) on August 4, 1961.
  • Barack Obama was born a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies based on his father's status as a citizen of the UKC (as were James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, and Chester A. Arthur, by the way)
  • Barack Obama automatically became a citizen of Kenya on December 12, 1963, when Kenya won its independence from the U.K.
  • Barack Obama's British citizenship expired on December 12, 1963 when it converted over to Kenyan citizenship.
  • The Kenyan Constitution forbids dual citizenship for adults. Since President Obama has neither renounced his U.S. citizenship nor sworn an oath of allegiance to Kenya, as of his 23rd birthday, on August 4, 1984, his Kenyan citizenship expired.
  • Having lived outside the United States as a child for a short period, Barack Obama moved back to Hawaii in 1971. He has lived in the United States ever since then, amounting to 36 years prior to announcing his bid for the presidency, which far exceeds the 14 year residency requirement of the Constitution.
  • Given his extended residency in the United States (not to mention the fact that he has neither lived in the U.K., any of its colonies, nor in Kenya), the State Department would presume a stronger allegiance to the United States even if he still held either of the other citizenships he at one time held, which he doesn't, so his allegiance is, by default and definition, presumed to be to the United States. This presumption satisfies any concerns your friend John Jay may have written about in a letter to George Washington.
The above proves beyond any reasonable doubt that Barack Obama meets every and all of the eligibility requirements of the United States constitution, and the definitions of natural born citizen spelled out in the U.S. Code and enshrined into law by the Supreme Court of the United States, as well as his allegiance to the United States based on standards set by the State Department.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:35 PM

It wont clear it up for him, Jill

He thinks a foreign national can be born on US Soil.....he doesn't understand what "OTHER THAN" means.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
"I can't spend all of my time with my birth certificate plastered on my forehead."

Maybe he can put it over his mouth instead.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Still trying to penetrate that wall I see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

It wont clear it up for him, Jill

He thinks a foreign national can be born on US Soil.....he doesn't understand what "OTHER THAN" means.
I know, I know. But even if it doesn't sink in with IC, I know it's making sense to someone (though I don't know who), since I received this rep comment, "Thank you very much, I learned a lot from your cogent points!!"

So, the fight against ignorance must charge on.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
You do realize that a natural born U.S. citizen can also be a born foreign national by virtue of a non-U.S. citizen biological parent, right?
There. Fixed it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies