Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM

301 posts, read 403,656 times

Advertisements

Glenn Beck does not represent all Christians or Christian values. Its funny, Glenn Beck seems to honor Martin Luther King Junior, but calls Social Justice communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Glenn Beck does not represent all Christians or Christian values. Its funny, Glenn Beck seems to honor Martin Luther King Junior, but calls Social Justice communism.
What his regular viewers haven't grasped yet is that he's putting on a show. He's playing a role. He's tricking his audience. Unlike a left-leaning audience, Beck's audience is mostly composed of white conservative Christians who pride themselves on taking certain things on faith, and who often act against their own financial interests for the sake of patriotic cheerleading. It's an audience that embraces gun ownership and tends to be more reactionary and militaristic.

Bob Cesca: Exposing Glenn Beck as a Dangerous Fraud

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Another bash Beck thread, how original. What does the title thread have to do with anything? Beck never professed to represent Christians. And yes, government imposed social justice is communist in nature.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
I can't help but think that Olbermann is on the mark calling him Lonesome Rhodes.

A Face in the Crowd (1957)

It's a great movie.... remember watching it years ago

Directed by Elia Kazan. A target of the McCarthy hearings.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I can't help but think that Olbermann is on the mark calling him Lonesome Rhodes.

Beck has kind of lost me lately the more he talks religion, to be honest. I don't have a lot in common with him when he comes to religion--the founder of his religion said all others are an abomination. I can't unite with a guy in religion who believes in mormonism--it's just too radically different than Biblical Christianity.

His politics are great, though.

But as for olbermann? The guy is a clown. I'm sorry...I can't take a thing he says seriously.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
I understand that Olbermann is not everyone's cup of tea.

But, I also thought of that movie when Beck started to become more popular. Just wanted to note that it was not an original thought on my part.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
so the best that bob cesca can come up with is this??

Quote:
Instead of asking for donations, by the way, Beck just markets all varieties of crap-on-a-stick to his people. Beck has released seven books since 2007. Seven books in three years! Add to the mix three DVD releases and 26 compact disc releases. There's his subscription-only "Insider Extreme" website which charges $75 per year. There's a print magazine called "Fusion" (20 issues for $66). There are the obligatory t-shirts, mugs and other forms of cheap swag. All of this is heaped on top of a multimillion dollar Fox News contract and a syndicated radio deal worth $50 million over five years. Capitalism is one thing, but Beck is manipulating his audience to hand over their cash in exchange for swag that can't possibly be worth the price, considering the volume of his output (seven books in three years!). As the saying goes: how hard he prays depends on how much you pay.
so its ok that liberals make money in a similar manner, and the nfl makes money in a similar manner, but somehow glenn beck cant make money this way? he excoriates beck for charging for access to certain areas of his website, but so does everyone else. as for fusion magazine, it costs money to put out any publication, and the authors deserve to get paid. this is typical liberal hypocrisy, we can make money this way but you cant.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

I was just thinking about that movie the other day when all of this Beck rally mania surfaced. Another film that hits the nail on the head concerning the hypocrisy so prevalant lately is "Elmer Gantry". Two really great films.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 AM

783 posts, read 815,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What his regular viewers haven't grasped yet is that he's putting on a show. He's playing a role. He's tricking his audience. Unlike a left-leaning audience, Beck's audience is mostly composed of white conservative Christians who pride themselves on taking certain things on faith, and who often act against their own financial interests for the sake of patriotic cheerleading. It's an audience that embraces gun ownership and tends to be more reactionary and militaristic.

Bob Cesca: Exposing Glenn Beck as a Dangerous Fraud
True conservative chrisitians tend be more militarisitic reactionary fearmongering intollerant and narrowminded and take things as politics as faith rather than on self intresst they are also very un Jesus like.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Another bash Beck thread, how original. What does the title thread have to do with anything? Beck never professed to represent Christians. And yes, government imposed social justice is communist in nature.
He doesn't have to "profess representing Christians" his actions speak for him. Didn't you catch his preaching at the Lincoln Memorial last weekend? That was a good old fashioned tent revival minus the tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies