Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Bull crap. The only law of the land is the law of the United States. NO ONE wants to change anything, except for the activist extreme wingers who crave to re-write history and change the law and intent of the founding fathers.
They are doing it in European countries, they'll do it here. They already got some Christians thrown in jail for handing out literature that muslims deemed offensive in Dearborn, MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Indonesia is one of the very examples the left uses to show that indonesia is a modern, non theocratic nation.... Remember, it is THE MOST populous muslim nation on earth...

If you're going to spout of that only a tiny minority of muslims are extremists, well, that's the largest muslim nation on earth.
Are they not free to pass the laws they want?

You know Russians had laws against speaking publicly against the state during their communist years. However, most Russians that came to our country wanted to escape this. Most Muslims who come to or are born in our country don't want Sharia law, and it could never be passed here because we have our separation of church and state.

Sure, they are free to lobby for that, if they want. Just like Christians are free to lobby against abortion, gay marriage, and a plethora of other issues that many people disagree with.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,778,959 times
Quote:
for pulling plug on a mosque

US Man Pulls Plug on Mosque, Faces Charges (http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/us-man-pulls-plug-on-mosque-faces-charges-dpgonc-20100830-fc_9403376 - broken link)

Faces up to 5 years in jail for blasphemy.

Just remember how horrible and intolerant we americans are because of the ground zero mosque controversy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is what I do not want to happen in this country.....My great-grandmother who was as religious as they came and ultra-conservative, almost did the same thing here at home back in the 70's. Her house sat two houses down from a "revival type" church. They had the speakers blaring so that everybody could hear the "gospel". She just so happen to stay home that Sunday because of the flu(she usually attended another church). All of the noise woke her up and she went straight over to the church(against the wishes of my great-grandfather) and proceeded to read the riot act up one side and down the other to the Pastor and some Deacons. Needless to say, the speakers quit blaring come the following Sunday(something about a city ordinance). I'd like to think it was one women's courage to fight against an oppressive way of thinking and sounding......

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are they not free to pass the laws they want?

You know Russians had laws against speaking publicly against the state during their communist years. However, most Russians that came to our country wanted to escape this. Most Muslims who come to or are born in our country don't want Sharia law, and it could never be passed here because we have our separation of church and state.

Sure, they are free to lobby for that, if they want. Just like Christians are free to lobby against abortion, gay marriage, and a plethora of other issues that many people disagree with.
You're saying that things in the US could never change? Not a possibility?

Say if the muslim population greatly expands, and more muslim senators, possibly a muslim president. Who do you think they would appoint ot the supreme court, especially if the muslim electorate is very conrvative?

You telling me that it's not possible for the composition of the federal courts or the supreme court to change, thus possibly ending the "separation of church and state" given that many other judicial doctrines of the supreme court have been overturned in the past?

I think you are wrong, unless the people came from Iran after the IRanian revolution, they weren't looking for "freedom from religion" in the west, they came for economic opportunities..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
You're saying that things in the US could never change? Not a possibility?

Say if the muslim population greatly expands, and more muslim senators, possibly a muslim president. Who do you think they would appoint ot the supreme court, especially if the muslim electorate is very conrvative?

You telling me that it's not possible for the composition of the federal courts or the supreme court to change, thus possibly ending the "separation of church and state" given that many other judicial doctrines of the supreme court have been overturned in the past?

I think you are wrong, unless the people came from Iran after the IRanian revolution, they weren't looking for "freedom from religion" in the west, they came for economic opportunities..
It would require a constitutional amendment to change things in the states. Thats just not going to happen unless Muslims take up 3/4'ers of the nations population, and if they do I guess they have the Constitutional right to change it then.

As for me, I'd be moving to another country long before that happened, or go out in the country and arm myself.

But, as I said before, that will never happen.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They are doing it in European countries, they'll do it here. They already got some Christians thrown in jail for handing out literature that muslims deemed offensive in Dearborn, MI.
No, those Christians got thrown in jail because they were disrupting an event and not following the rules of the event. Christians that were following the rules and handing out material and literature according to the rules were not arrested.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
I don't give a crap what happens to idiot Americans in other countries that can not follow those countries laws. Like the stupid hikers in Iraq that got taken by the Iranian's. What about Lisa Lings idiot sister or that moron the Peanut Farmer just brought home. What the hell were they doing there anyway.

Ever see Midnight Express? if not look it up.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
We don't live in a Theocracy. So stop comparing the USA to that podunk loser country. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It would require a constitutional amendment to change things in the states. Thats just not going to happen unless Muslims take up 3/4'ers of the nations population, and if they do I guess they have the Constitutional right to change it then.

As for me, I'd be moving to another country long before that happened, or go out in the country and arm myself.

But, as I said before, that will never happen.
No it doesn't. All it does is take a court to change how it defines the first amendment. Or the constitution could be disregarded, like it was in the soviet union. Read the constitution of the soviety union, it guaranteed all sorts of things that the soviety people were in fact denied.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
We don't live in a Theocracy. So stop comparing the USA to that podunk loser country. Thanks.
Indonesia is one of the world's largest countries, much of your computer parts were produced there, and the liberals love spouting off how Indonesia is a shining example of moderate islam.

Indonesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the name is "Republic of Indonesia" not the "Islamic Republic of Indonesia", yet he's still being charged with blasphemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies