Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
First, how many people REALLY want to discuss race?

Second, how many people REALLY want to discuss race HONESTLY?

Third, most White Americans can talk about race but very few have experienced the level of racism many Black Americans have faced. In others word in most cases White Americans talk about race from the perspective of the racism from the outside looking in. Most Black Americans talk about racism from the inside looking out. The two often completely different perspectives make common ground often difficult to find.

Fourth many White Americans are extremely reluctant about discussing the history of race and how it affects the current dynamics of race in America today. Some don’t even want to know the history. Many White Americans believe these past events have no effect on the social and economic conditions Black Americans face today.

Fifth even if race and racism are discussed hardly any White Americans want to discuss the issue of White Privilege and how it affects the social and economic dynamics in America today.
Well Said!
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Personally, as a younger person who has grown up in a racially diverse area, I don't know why we talk about race AT ALL. This isn't 1960. I didn't even realize racism was still an issue until I heard people of minority status talking about it. Personally, I don't care what race you are. Politics are still a major issue in this country, racism is a non-issue to me. Discussing race is simply not a useful thing to do.

I find threads like this promote racism more than anything else because they call attention to something (racism) that simply isn't an issue any more.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
What needs to be talked about? doesn't seeing the difference simply make it last longer?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"Discussing race with white people is similar to discussing women's issues with men. There is a lack of shared perspective so either people have to come to the table with very open minds and hearts or nothing will be accomplished. Thing is most people have lived closely with the opposite sex for most of their lives (and admittedly we still don't understand each other) but people of difference races don't share that luxury. We are not nearly as trusting or knowledgeable about each other hence a lack of open minds and hearts. Therefore nothing is accomplished in most cases but misunderstanding and amplified ignorance"

Perhaps the starting place for a discussion is not to focus on the classic 'diversity agenda' sold to large corporations by profit seeking consultants spewing the latest socio-psycho babble. In an effort to prove alignment with portrayed institutionalized victim groups and seek favor of the federal government, corporations promote the latest trends in 'diversity' edu. This promotes an isolationist approach, which by nature, alienates many potential supporters.

First and foremost we are people who have many of the same issues. Respect is desirable by all and cannot be accomplished by legal declaration. Respect needs to be assigned to individuals not classes of people as not every member is worthy of earned respect.

Focusing on basic human needs and requirements first, address by default, many of the issues facing 'victim groups' as well as everyone else. Everyone shares the feeling of a victim to some degree and needs to be recognized for the purpose of categorization and resolution. The intent should not promote a psssssing contest.

Once an awareness of commonality is established the focus can move to unique issues faced by various categories of established 'victim groups'.

To promote people as perenial victims ensures alienation and creates opponents where none had existed.

The latest socio-political strategy sets the threshold for racism and sexism so low that the mere utterance of a forbidden word brands the speaker as racist or sexist. This seems to be an institutional attempt to mitigate any meaningful argument and maintain the energy of anger produced by self proclaimed uniqueness. It breaks up the 'herd' into segments that may be more easily manipulated in the best traditions of a 'divide and conquer' philosophy.

Wouldn't it be the cat's petute if we all herded up and spoke in one voice to straighten out our governnment and impove everone's quality of life.

There will always be Neandrethals on both sides and they desreve to be treated as pilings on a beach where the tide just flows around them.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Why can’t people discuss race as freely as they discuss politics?
Liberal political correctness has repressed society's ability to speak freely. Intelligent discussions about race are not allowed unless the discussion revolves around blaming evil whitey for everything. If you don't do that, then you're automatically labeled a racist.

From what I can tell, white people aren't interested in having such one-way conversations, and so race problems continue to be ignored or slanted. You can thank the progressive Democrats for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I find threads like this promote racism more than anything else because they call attention to something (racism) that simply isn't an issue any more.
In reality, liberals don't want racism to end, it's their political meal ticket to keep the blacks voting Democrat.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Fourth many White Americans are extremely reluctant about discussing the history of race and how it affects the current dynamics of race in America today. Some don’t even want to know the history. Many White Americans believe these past events have no effect on the social and economic conditions Black Americans face today.
Ancient history (and that's what it is) has no bearing on any Black person's chances of being successful today. Americans of every race sit next to each other in school and are exposed to the same information. Home environment, parental support, and attitudes toward education determine success. What happened to their great great grandparents does not play a role.
Quote:
Fifth even if race and racism are discussed hardly any White Americans want to discuss the issue of White Privilege and how it affects the social and economic dynamics in America today.
Why did you capitalize "White Privilege"? People are no more privileged for being White than for being any other race. You might say that more Whites have higher incomes, or longer life expectancies, but those outcomes have nothing to do with being White. There is no legal advantage to being White but there are many legal advantages to being a minority such as starting a business and college admission.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When it comes to C-D, I haven't noticed a distinction between the "quality" of the discussion when it comes to either topic.
Ovcatto? this forum seems to attract a lot of racists!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why can’t people discuss race as freely as they discuss politics?
But quite frequently, they do. There's just as much pontificating, and misinformation, and plain old-fashioned hatred when people get started on race, just as there is when they get started on politics. The threads here in C-D should've proven that to you a long time ago!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why can’t and don’t people approach the topic of race as they do the topic of politics?
Race and religion have been an integral part of politics for eons.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Ancient history (and that's what it is) has no bearing on any Black person's chances of being successful today. Americans of every race sit next to each other in school and are exposed to the same information. Home environment, parental support, and attitudes toward education determine success. What happened to their great great grandparents does not play a role.
I'll remember that the next time I see Paris Hilton of person of minimal intelligence or talent other than drawing attention to herself shows up on TV and makes millions purely based on the fact that her grandfather was on hell of a businessman and she was left with a name and a substantial inheritance.

I'll remember that when I think of how George W. Bush Jr. a man of limited academic or intellectual ability was able to attend Yale University because his GRANDFATHER Prescott Bush was an alumnus and this allowed Dubya to get in as a legacy admission.

I'll remember that the next time I see a White corporate executive of limited intelligence talent and ability stay in his job based on his fact his father knew somebody else’s father and they happen to be fraternity brothers from schools that their fathers made substantial alumni contributions to.

Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies