U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,653,384 times

Advertisements

While Obama is quite a disappointment so far, why would so much money be given to a place with such a high potential of violence in the early stages of this (these) ridiculous wars? We're there, we're told, to help with the democratization of this (these) country(s) and then say they were supposed to follow through with construction that they needed consultation on. Throw an amateur into a job meant for a professional and then blame the amateur when it fails. These numbers are from 2003 - 2007. Not blaming anyone in particular, not at all. I'm blaming our whole political system. It needs an overhaul.

We're a seriously confused and divided Country. Too many lies, fixed numbers and elections. Seems our government wants us this way.

I've never been more embarrassed to be American.

The article speaks for itself...

AP IMPACT: US wasted billions in rebuilding Iraq - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100829/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_iraq_us_reconstruction_legacy - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM

9,199 posts, read 8,975,715 times
I've never understood how we are allowed to do this in a country that is already 14 Trillion in debt.

And the GOVERNMENT actually requires credit checks to be performed on potential applicants for federal employment, and often denies them employment on this basis. Talk about a sickness.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

10,876 posts, read 12,607,389 times
Good article. Iraq isn't obama's fault, the blood is all over bush, rumsfeld and cheney's hands on that one. Iraq never should have been invaded and was the biggest waste of time, money, and most importantly loss of our troops. Obama has done the most patriotic thing so far in getting our troops out, with afghanistan coming next. Many point fingers about what is causing the massive debt and dip in the economy, though many overlook one of the, if not the key factor is the wars.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,146,896 times
Oh please, we might be divided, but we aren't confused. That's media krap. And never once have I been embarrassed to be American. Try living in other countries for awhile...you will kiss the ground you stand on when you come home.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,828,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
While Obama is quite a disappointment so far, why would so much money be given to a place with such a high potential of violence in the early stages of this (these) ridiculous wars? We're there, we're told, to help with the democratization of this (these) country(s) and then say they were supposed to follow through with construction that they needed consultation on. Throw an amateur into a job meant for a professional and then blame the amateur when it fails. These numbers are from 2003 - 2007. Not blaming anyone in particular, not at all. I'm blaming our whole political system. It needs an overhaul.

We're a seriously confused and divided Country. Too many lies, fixed numbers and elections. Seems our government wants us this way.

I've never been more embarrassed to be American.

The article speaks for itself...

AP IMPACT: US wasted billions in rebuilding Iraq - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100829/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_iraq_us_reconstruction_legacy - broken link)
shroombeanie !!! ... There Is Much Wisdom In Your Words !

It truly appears that America's current Washington "Political Circus" is without doubt a "Pitiful and Heartbreaking Mess" !

The seemingly endless accounts of blatent corruption, arrogance, deliberate disregard for the will of the majority of the American Citizens, incredible waste of tax payer money, favoritism, passing of major legislation without even knowing what it says, the unbelievable level of inexperience and ineptitude of so many elected officials in high offices, the incredible elitism and deliberate indifference to the vastly important matter of resolutely addressing the "Illegal Alien Nightmare" and "Securing The Horrendous Southern Border .... and on and on and on !!!

Yes folks America is experiencing an unprecedented Political Leadership Vacumm way down there in old D.C. ..... It appears that the genuinely decent and qualified folks in this nation will not come forward and serve as elected officials any longer and who can blame them !

It apppears that only a miracle may save this beloved nation from the unparalled damage that has been inflicted upon it and it's people by so many of the foolish career politicians among us whom are absolutely "Clueless" about the America so many of us love and honor.

These unbelievably destructive folks have so little grasp of "Honorable and Patriotic Political Leadership" that they would willingly reduce this great homeland to nothing less than a desperate "Banana Republic" with a dictatorship lording over mere subjects !

The "Miracle" of course is the American People ..... Let us redouble our effort to get out and "VOTE" these extremely flakey folks out of office for the long term in the next elections ! Yes my fellow Americans ... This may well be our finest hour ! Failure is not an option in this dire matter !

Thanks / Not So Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,828,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Oh please, we might be divided, but we aren't confused. That's media krap. And never once have I been embarrassed to be American. Try living in other countries for awhile...you will kiss the ground you stand on when you come home.
Dockside !!! ... on The Money !

As an American military veteran I completely agree with you !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,653,384 times
Quote:
Before long, they'll be no Ground, to Stand on. So what's the difference? I'll answer... "Nothing".

I'm quite apologetic, that you, or anyone else, is not embarrassed by the corruption and ineptitude our country so vehemently denies exists within it's ranks.

Bamboozled, are the majority in America. That's why so many (millions) are being carried. AND WE DO NOT WISH TO BE SO. WAKE UP.

A few of my posts, where needed, state my high regard and respect for our troops. From beginning (past) to end (future). Because, any one, with any sense, knows that freedom isn't free. And becomes more and more of an illusion, on a daily basis, worldwide. But I don't agree with the direction of America. More and more aren't. You think I'm proud of that. Wrong.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM

25,163 posts, read 50,218,605 times
It is embarrassing. We can't blame the television for this. It is much more pervasive. It starts with public schools and churches. It's also the fault of creeping normalcy which is propagated by those in authority. The divide between the pseudo-groups (i.e., conservatives and liberals) has sucked people into an illusion where they are perpetually in an argumentative daze. They are confused and irritated but always ready to argue. But for what? For the illusion that our teachers, pastors, psychologists, marketers, and politicians have created. The ones in the middle don't know what to decided on. And the independents like myself are trying not to be sucked into the grand illusion that has been socially constructed by ongoing and rigid cultural hegemony.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,039,524 times
I blame Americans for becoming dumber. Too much Fox.

Quote:
Clinton inherited a $290 billion deficit from George H.W. Bush. He reversed Bush's and Reagan's trickle down economic policies, raising taxes on the wealthy, and reducing them on the working and middle classes. He was able to reduce the deficit every single year of his presidency. By 1997, the government was running budgetary surpluses, the first since 1969. He delivered a $230 billion surplus in 2000.

Bush reversed Clinton's policies, lowering taxes on the very wealthy - his "base" as he called them - and effectively raising them on everyone else. In his first full year at the helm of the economy, he delivered a $157 billion deficit, and he never looked back. By 2004, the deficits were topping $400 billion a year. While Clinton delivered surpluses, Bush's deficits totaled some $3.7 trillion over his eight-year term. Clinton 6: Bush 0.

There is no subtlety, no ambiguity about the data or the economic performance they reveal. By every single measure, Bush's policies and tenure were worse - much worse - for the American economy and the American people than those pursued by Bill Clinton. And we are still living today in the aftermath of the destruction they have wrought.

We could add any number of other measures as well, measures not offered up by Forbes but which are still straightforward indices of economic performance. Clinton reduced poverty, from 15.1% when he took office to 11.3% when he left. Bush increased it, from 11.3% when he started to 12.5% at the end of 2008.

The stock market more than tripled under Clinton's tenure. The Dow went from 3,241 when he took office to 10,587 on the day he left. It actually declined under Bush's tenure, from 10,587 on the day he took office to 8,281 on the day he left. Between the recent stock market collapse and the housing crash, Bush destroyed more than $14 trillion in consumer wealth, a staggering, almost incomprehensible legacy of devastation that will haunt Americans for decades to come.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM

952 posts, read 837,538 times
Quote:

Not to worry.

The Left, liberals, Treehuggers, America haters and apologists, are more than happy and eager, to be embarrassed for you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies