Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
I am not trying to prove there is nothing, I'm just stating the fact that there is no proof that there is anything beyond this life and that believing something as truth without facts to back it up is silly.
The beauty of America, you have the right to believe whatever you want. Just don't be ignorant enough to believe that when you call someone's beliefs stupid that they're not going to get upset. I'm not saying that as an atheist you're stupid, I just disagree. Can you say the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803
How's this going? You find names on these scientists yet or should I just take it on faith?
If you're that concerned do a google search.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Not at all. My point with that statement (for the umpteenth time) is that there has to be a set rule of what is right, and what is wrong. If you (and most people including myself) believe murder is wrong, but another feels that it is fine, who is right and why? What makes one more right than the other if morality is relative? You people need to quit reading into something that isn't there. Many believe, from many different religions, that morality came from God, and Beck's call to "Turn back to God" was a call to turn back to morals and values. Certain people just hear the word "God" and get their panties in a bunch. Could it have been worded different? Sure. Turn back to love, respect and doing what's right to repair the brokenness of this country would have been better phrasing, but I strongly believe that's what Beck meant. "Turning back to God" I think was his reference to returning to the Judeo Christian values this country was founded on. People could have used common sense to get his meaning, but instead responded with hatred and criticism.
I, for one, am not responding with hate, but with cynicism and repulsion. It's not Beck's message that repels, it is Beck himself. The guy is self-serving even under the pretext and guise of bringing people together, his own agenda and his use of manipulation comes shining through. It's his ulterior motives that are most disturbing.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,678 times
Quote:
You have proof that there's nothing? I thought so. I am willing to have belief and faith in something without proof, and you are not. You may feel you are more right than me, and I don't. If there is nothing when this life is over, I won't know the difference. If there is something beyond this life, then when we get there you owe me 5 bucks.
That doesn't sound like faith... more like hedging your bet.

Edit: I should say that I don't know what's in your heart. It's just that the wording of your comment led me to my post.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
The way I've explained it to you about 30 times already. Guess you just don't get it.
After reading this whole thread. I'd like to point out that it doesn't look like she doesn't get it. It really looks like you refuse to own up to what you have said.

Oh wait. I get it. Nice act "simple"man.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I, for one, am not responding with hate, but with cynicism and repulsion. It's not Beck's message that repels, it is Beck himself. The guy is self-serving even under the pretext and guise of bringing people together, his own agenda and his use of manipulation comes shining through. It's his ulterior motives that are most disturbing.
Amen my brotha!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM

308 posts, read 427,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
You have some valid points... while we are discussing proof... why are we here again, where did we come from along with all the life on this planet.
Since we are so interested in proof of our existence and proof of the afterlife we still don't even have an idea of how we came to be.
Its nice that humans are so interested in making up reasons to explain what happens when we die yet can't even understand where we even came from on this planet.

Everything we say and believe are guesses based on nothing other then imagination.
Why are we here? I have no clue.

Where did we come from? This is one possible explanation:

Video "The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Interview with Jack Szostak" - Technorati

Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Fair enough. I do think that "We the people" need to come together and take this country back. Government is too big, too corrupt (both parties) and could care less what the people want, and that's not how it should be.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
After reading this whole thread. I'd like to point out that it doesn't look like she doesn't get it. It really looks like you refuse to own up to what you have said.

Oh wait. I get it. Nice act "simple"man.

So what exactly did I "say"? That it's ok to do these things, or that there's a reason for the morals and values most of us hold? Better to be "simple" than to over analyze things and misinterpret meaning to the point of stupidity.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
That doesn't sound like faith... more like hedging your bet.

Edit: I should say that I don't know what's in your heart. It's just that the wording of your comment led me to my post.
I was just trying to be humorous and lighten the mood.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

308 posts, read 427,416 times
Quote:
The beauty of America, you have the right to believe whatever you want. Just don't be ignorant enough to believe that when you call someone's beliefs stupid that they're not going to get upset. I'm not saying that as an atheist you're stupid, I just disagree. Can you say the same?
I wholeheartedly agree that you have the right to believe whatever you want. I celebrate that right and that entitlement. But that doesn't mean that belief shouldn't be questioned or should be respected or put beyond mockery.

Quote:
If you're that concerned do a google search.
You brought up the tornado thing and presented it as fact. But if we are beyond having to qualify things like that then that's fine.

By the way, theologists say that Jesus was actually a woman and that the male dominated church or the Roman era wrote her as a man so as not to upset the power structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies