Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
your just being ridiculous..
You mean, you're just being ridiculous, which I am not by the way.

Quote:
The op never said they havent benefited from governments existance, they said they never received a penny.
Ah, so the key here is a direct monetary transfer... as opposed to a tangible good or service that would have a value of a penny or more.

[/quote]Do you seriously not know the difference? p.s. water, air, streets, education, cars, and lack of crime, all exist without governments existance.. Try again..[/quote]

Streets all came into existence without governments. Interesting.

Water, for the vast majority of Americans isn't stored, transported, purified, without government funding?

Air quality isn't assured or improved without government funding?

Cars drive on air and water not roads and certainly not the Interstate highway system?

Now who is being ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
There are many who can't find jobs right now. There aren't enough jobs to go around for everyone who wants a job. Even minimum wage jobs aren't hiring. I have applied for several.
Why would there be jobs? Do you understand that if you encourage a large portion of society to stay home, that many of these that would work hard, expand their companies, and one day employ others, arent going to be?

Why would established companies hire? They are being told non stop they are big and evil, and that they should have their money taken from them. No one in their right mind is expanding their business not knowing what their tab will be next year. Large corporations are faced with hundreds of millions in write offs due to the healthcare legislation.. No one knows what their acceptable risk/reward for expanding will be because they are being told that if they expand, they will be punished.

Only a fool would be expanding in this environment.
Quote:
There are many who are on unemployment who simply don't want to be on unemployment and are using unemployment as a last resort. These people used their savings, looked for work, and even asked their church for help. I used my savings, looked for work right when I found out I was being laid off, and asked my church for help but the benevolence funds ran dry so I had to apply for unemployment as a means for survival.
And under normal unemployment times, people would use their 6 months of unemployment to start their own business. Many know that they have 6 months or their broke to get income. Conservatives told liberals years ago that this was going to happen, but we were told that we were stupid, we hated the poor, that we have no idea what we were talking about. All of this lack of work began the minute minimum wage increases were passed. Is that to totally blame, of course not, but when you raise minimum wage, you put people out of work, and putting people out of work at the very same time you are telling companies they shouldnt earn a profit = what we have today. Most entrepreneurs in this nation file taxes under a DBA, which means their business income files under personal income taxes. With the threat of taxes going up, and pay increases mandated, those that normally would take the risk cant afford to.. Its a domino effect created by Democrats..
Quote:
We really need to do something about the jobs crisis in this country. There are too many companies offshoring. Too much uncertainty in Washington and too many companies taking advantage of cheap foreign labor. If places don't start hiring AMERICANS, we will all pay the long term costs of chronic joblessness. We will pay these costs in the form of higher taxes, a poorer economy, and higher crime. People have actually robbed banks because they can't find jobs. It's sad.
Why would people hire americans with all of the mandates now? I'm surprised companies like Microsoft didnt move to Canada a few years ago when given the chance. You cant just keep piling up reasons for companies to leave the country and think its not going to affect individuals like you looking for a job. Harm the top, you harm the bottom.. Its one big pot..

Last edited by pghquest; 08-30-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Streets all came into existence without governments. Interesting.
yes they did, just like railroads, airlines etc.. They might not be financed anymore without the federal governments support, but that doesnt mean they didnt exist before government. How do you think people got out west? Do you think they waited for government to build roads for them?
Quote:
Water, for the vast majority of Americans isn't stored, transported, purified, without government funding?
So before the US Government was created, water didnt exist? What did the indians drink? Or did they have it delivered?
Quote:
Air quality isn't assured or improved without government funding?
First, that wasnt your claim, you claimed they didnt have air without government.. But air in its natural state is clean and breathable. You dont need government to clean it for you
Quote:
Cars drive on air and water not roads and certainly not the Interstate highway system?
No one made such ridiculous claims. The OP claimed they never received a penny.. if government is building roads, cleaning air, water etc, that doesnt result in someone getting a penny.. It means they benefit from a collective decision to put money to gether to supply these items clean, but that doesnt mean its the only alternative and that people receive CASH.. The OP was VERY specific.. They said PENNY, they didnt say that they didnt benefit..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its not even close to a fallacy.. 15 years ago I was homeless. 10 years ago I went bankrupt. I was an orphan until I was 16. Now I live in a 6K sf home in Oh, I have a vacation home in PA, property in Florida, 16 other properties in PA, property in Illionois, Iowa, Georgia, several internet companies, an indoor football team (did have up until a year ago), a bar, hotel, restaurant. Its not a fallacy to accept defeat, only laziness.

You dont need to be "successful" but you do need to do what you need to survive and take care of your family. You cant delegate your responsibility to a 3rd party such as the government without being a loser. yes, your a loser if you live off the government and need them to take care of you. Your a drain on society, the government, other citizens.

While many think its wrong to not "take care of others", I think its just as wrong, if not more wrong to delegate your responsibilities on other individuals who didnt make your choices. Why should others take care of you? Why should society be responsible to pay for an individuals incompetence and unwillingness to support their own family? When did it become natural to just sit back and collect a check, and not contribute to society? I remember as a child the family I lived with was so embarassed because they were getting a block of cheese, and powdered milk from the government once a month, and this was after the breadwinner in the family died from cancer. Now its almost embarassing to not be getting housing, food, healthcare, day care, utilities, even internet and cell phones from the government. My the changes we've seen in just 25 years...

But that wasnt the discussion. The discussion is, is that regulation needed? Using your argument, if the federal government banned all driving over 10 MPH, and it saves lives.. good on them. Ridiculous..
Did you actually file for bankruptcy, or just go broke?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Did you actually file for bankruptcy, or just go broke?
Filed 2 of them, within months of one another..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Oh, got your debts discharged/reduced.

So by your own words, you're a loser.

Quote:
You cant delegate your responsibility to a 3rd party such as the government without being a loser. yes, your a loser if you live off the government and need them to take care of you. Your a drain on society, the government, other citizens.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,277 times
Quote:
So before the US Government was created, water didnt exist? What did the indians drink? Or did they have it delivered?
Yeah, let's return to those good old days.

How many Indians were there? What was their lifestyle?

How many people live here now? How about a free- for- all on available natural sources only? Forget pipe lines and plumbing and sewers. Who needs 'em?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Oh, got your debts discharged/reduced.

So by your own words, you're a loser.
Actually no. I gave up assets in exchange for releasing of debts.. Businesses I had failed, that doesnt equate to a loser.. I'd be a loser if I didnt try... do you understand that there are different types of bankruptcies? And even if I did give up debts, its a business transaction, with both parties taking a benefit in exchange for risks. Thats a lot different than sitting home collecting a check for doing nothing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you ALWAYS lose if you dont try..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Yeah, let's return to those good old days.

How many Indians were there? What was their lifestyle?

How many people live here now? How about a free- for- all on available natural sources only? Forget pipe lines and plumbing and sewers. Who needs 'em?
That wasnt the question.. The OP said they didnt get CASH and was called out on benefits of things which exist without government that did not involve CASH.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies