Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
These accusations are completely without merit. This is all due to racism. The truth will come out soon enough.

Oh, yeah, and it's GW Bushes fault, too!

From the article;
Johnson, who is expected to win her 10th term in Congress, told the Morning News that no favoritism was involved, and she "probably wouldn't have given it" to her own relatives had there been more "very worthy applicants in my district."

I wonder how hard she looked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting. Is there more to this?
At the very least what she did was highly unethical. At the worst it might have been illegal. I'd like to see the outcome of the investigation. If any laws were violated she should be indicted and prosecuted.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
The Congressional Black Caucus is full of elected representatives who have had problems with the law, tax evasion, and a miriad of other ethical problems. Conicidentially most are also members of the Progressive Caucus. Yes, liberalism is not only a mental disoreder but it breeds fraud.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
At the very least what she did was highly unethical. At the worst it might have been illegal. I'd like to see the outcome of the investigation. If any laws were violated she should be indicted and prosecuted.

I totally agree. No matter what happens, she should resign.

Unethical, stupid, criminal, or all three? Whichever one applies, she doesn't deserve to be there.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I totally agree. No matter what happens, she should resign.

Unethical, stupid, criminal, or all three? Whichever one applies, she doesn't deserve to be there.
But I'd bet her constituents turn a blind eye and re-elect her just the same. People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
The public will allow this elitist politician theft.

Texas Congresswoman Admits She Violated Rules - US News and World Report

"My district lines have constantly changed and since I am the only Democrat in the entire North Texas Region ... much of my district office casework benefits people outside my constituency. While I am not ashamed of helping, I did not intentionally mean to violate any rules in the process."

Hey READ the damned rules! We paid you to.

Whiney damned politicians gets caught and whines some more.

How would anyone like it if their kid strove for such a scholarship for years only to be told the politician holding the purse string's family got the scholarships?

Give her a room in Huntsville for 5~10 years.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Hope they penalize her (not the children) and have her pay it all back.
Heard this story on Anderson Cooper last night. Basically each application has to have the applicant (kid) sign a block saying "I am not related to anyone in the CBC" in short.

So the kids, coached or not, knew 100% they were doing something funny. It is possible "adults" convinced them though this is "ok."

I would be fine in withdrawing the money from the kids to teach ethical thinking however.

The scope of this is pretty staggering too, with 1/3rd of all scholarship recepients seem to have direct ties to the congresswoman.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Heard this story on Anderson Cooper last night. Basically each application has to have the applicant (kid) sign a block saying "I am not related to anyone in the CBC" in short.

So the kids, coached or not, knew 100% they were doing something funny. It is possible "adults" convinced them though this is "ok."

I would be fine in withdrawing the money from the kids to teach ethical thinking however.

The scope of this is pretty staggering too, with 1/3rd of all scholarship recepients seem to have direct ties to the congresswoman.
I doubt it. How many times to kids read anything a parent asks them to sign? Heck, adults don't even read real estate or mortgage contracts before signing on that dotted line. No, I don't think the kids had a clue until it made the news. How embarrasing for them.

Fraud is a crime and this woman should be prosecuted and if/when convicted forced to pay fines as well as re-imbursing the scholarship fund. Jail time would be nice but it will never happen.

Push Pelosi for a House ethics investigation. This elitism amongst elected officials who think the rules and laws do not apply to them has to stop. It needs to hit them where it hurts, in their government benefits/retirement package. Nullify it for those found guilty of ethics violations or the breaking of laws, period. These people must be held to a HIGHER standard.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
The count is up to 23 now.

"U.S. Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson awarded eight scholarships last year to her grandsons and a top aide's children – bringing to 23 the number of awards she handed out since 2005 in violation of Congressional Black Caucus Foundation eligibility rules. "

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....a5140066.html

But here's the thing. As I understand it, it was not taxpayer money that paid for those scholarships so let the Congressional Black Caucus deal with her and let the donors sue the Congressional Black Caucus and her.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The count is up to 23 now.

"U.S. Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson awarded eight scholarships last year to her grandsons and a top aide's children – bringing to 23 the number of awards she handed out since 2005 in violation of Congressional Black Caucus Foundation eligibility rules. "

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson says she'll repay scholarship funds by week's end | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

But here's the thing. As I understand it, it was not taxpayer money that paid for those scholarships so let the Congressional Black Caucus deal with her and let the donors sue the Congressional Black Caucus and her.
Nice in theory but our tax dollars do go to the support of the CBC and other Congressional caucuses, therefore it has become a public concern for the American taxpayer. She was caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Doubt it is the first time she's reached in; but rather, the first time caught, as with most criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies