Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I can answer this one! I definitely want the most itelligent person.

Who could blame you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Who could blame you?
I don't know, but apparently if that surgeon happens to be white, then I am a racist by default.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
there is no diversity at the DMV. you have to be a 700lb woman to work there. that's unfair to men with average builds.
... and learn to tell people "no, sorry you have to fill out this form and send it in. We can't do that here." for every question the have.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What about them? They are probably doing better than minority kids in big cities. Any statistics?

While I agree that some of the problems are the fault of the minorities themselves, the reason behind all that in my view is that minorities have never felt welcome in their own country. The paranoia and victim mentality you mention did not come out of the blue. They have gradually developed over centuries, i.e. at a time when there really was a reason to feel that way.

I actually don't know of any stats that break down academic performance by race and school districts. I will concede that minorities living in middle class neighborhoods do likely perform better than those living in the slums. Having said that, why do you think that's the case? In my estimation the number one reason has to be parenting. A minority family living in a nice area is way more likely to have their act together. They would more often than not have good hard working parents who were raised by good hard working parents. They are involved in their children's lives and set a good example to follow rather than having jr. come see them on visiting day in the big house or leaving them to roam free as they are out smoking crack or committing other crimes. Herein lies the difference. The thing is these minorities living in the middle class area still get the same preferential tyreatment that the minorities living in the slums do.

Here's some food for thought. Hispanics currently have the highest drop out rate of any ethnicity in the country.

Fast Facts

Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but apparently if that surgeon happens to be white, then I am a racist by default.

Yay- diversity!!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:

of course....

Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
One of the oddities about a diverse population is what I call the "Tropical Island Effect". A culturally diverse population could include cultures that have diverse values and priorities. Let's say there's a hypothetical immigrated culture from a tropical island. They live in huts on public land near a beach. During the day they fish and perhaps sell homemade goods for a little money. They use the money to buy some fruits and vegetables, and to pay the small fees they may encounter. This tropical island culture does not particularly care about formal education or their rate of employment. This is as close as they can come to their previous tropical island lifestyle, and this is what how they perfer to live.

So, does the larger culture have reason to be critical of this tropical island culture, or should the culture be viewed as a acceptable, albeit unusual culture?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
I actually don't know of any stats that break down academic performance by race and school districts. I will concede that minorities living in middle class neighborhoods do likely perform better than those living in the slums. Having said that, why do you think that's the case? In my estimation the number one reason has to be parenting. A minority family living in a nice area is way more likely to have their act together. They would more often than not have good hard working parents who were raised by good hard working parents. They are involved in their children's lives and set a good example to follow rather than having jr. come see them on visiting day in the big house or leaving them to roam free as they are out smoking crack or committing other crimes. Herein lies the difference. The thing is these minorities living in the middle class area still get the same preferential tyreatment that the minorities living in the slums do.

Here's some food for thought. Hispanics currently have the highest drop out rate of any ethnicity in the country.

Fast Facts
The truth is, even middle-class and upper-class minorites(all but east-asians) do very poorly compared to whites and especially east asians. In the highest brackets of scholastic performance, blacks are practically non-existant. With asians highly disproportionately represented.

And while a persons environment goes a long ways in their eventual work-ethic, attitude, and desire to learn. It cannot turn someone that has inferior mental capabilities into someone of even average ability.

The situation with minorities is an unpleasant one. They are at an intellectual disadvantage compared to whites(just as whites tend to be at an intellectual disadvantage to East Asians). But there is a sufficient enough group of minorities that are above-average, that it becomes almost silly to stereotype them in any meaningful way.

The problem is that humans are created based on their genes. And while there is no single gene for intelligence, there are "genes" for intelligence. If our genes weren't the causation of our intelligence, then all creatures of the world would be equally intelligent.

There is no reason to believe that all humans are precisely equal. That even includes people within the same ethnic/racial group. That includes you and your best friend, or your neighbor, or even your sisters or brothers. There is a ridiculous amount of diversity everywhere.

Behavior is along the same basis. Something like 90% of all bird species are monogamous, but only 3% of mammal species are monogamous. Why? Because birds create much stronger and longer lasting bonds with their partners, I dare to call it love. Mammals can still have love, but it is much more fleeting. If you were to basically "import" the emotional bond-producing genes of a bird. Humans would just have absolutely no desire to "cheat" on their spouses. The idea of it wouldn't even cross their minds, and even if it did, it wouldn't be thought of favorably. The idea would receive the emotional response of say, boring repetitious activity, or of eating "blande-tasting" food.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 09-02-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Because they are treated like crap. They are conditioned to excel in sports but to not be curious about academics. How do I know? I used to go to school and I witnessed it for myself. They teachers treated them differently. It was always about sports. Shoving sports down their throats and demanding excellent sports performances. I rarely saw any Hispanics in any Honors classes or advanced science courses. Sure a few teachers were good but a lot of it was hidden system of oppression of not wanting Hispanics to excel. It's deplorable and nobody is going to outright talk about it.

Quote:

Fast Facts

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Because they are treated like crap. They are conditioned to excel in sports but to not be curious about academics. How do I know? I used to go to school and I witnessed it for myself. They teachers treated them differently. It was always about sports. Shoving sports down their throats and demanding excellent sports performances. I rarely saw any Hispanics in any Honors classes or advanced science courses. Sure a few teachers were good but a lot of it was hidden system of oppression of not wanting Hispanics to excel. It's deplorable and nobody is going to outright talk about it.
I see. So there is some mass conspiracy to convince Hispanics to be dropouts? Society via the Teachers want them to form a poor, uneducated underclass and they are dumb enough to fall for it?

That is some of the stupidest, most racist nonsense I have heard in long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies