Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,371 times

Advertisements

Because they aren't new or unique, they are a replica.

Actually, right to work states are not better. At all. But that is the brainwashing that has been going on for several years in an attempt to destroy the unions.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??
Because. While everyone else in America is feeling and sharing in the pain, the unions will not make any concessions.

The NJ Teachers Union is a prime example. Instead of taking a one year, yes, one year pay freeze and contribute a mere 1.5% to their benefits package, they preferred to see fellow teachers get laid off.

Major losers.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 AM

17,337 posts, read 14,606,875 times
I'm from a big time union family. Steel mills, auto makers, you name it, my family has done it.

Unions had their time and place - now, for the most part they do more harm than good ... they've destroyed entire industries.

"But unions protect my job!" Yeah, how about not being a lazy sow and doing your job? That's a unique train of thought!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,371 times
That isn't the argument. The teachers, here, are willing to make concessions but they want to see administration and higher ups take the cut as well. The higher ups are not willing to make the cuts.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??
When have you ever heard a tea partier speak ill of a union plumber?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM

785 posts, read 619,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
When your city or state is required to hire a union plumber (which is the case here in Boston) who costs more than a non-union plumber more tax dollars are spent to complete the job. I would have thought that would be fairly obvious. Take the teamsters union for example. If your city has to hire teamsters to pick up the garbage more tax dollars are spent. Then of course there's the simple fact that the teamsters drive up the cost of just about every single consumer good in the country.
In the past I rode the commuter rail into Boston to get to work. I did that for a year and during that time parking rates at the stations doubled hitting 4.00 per day and fares increased several times until they hit 210.00 per month for a pass that covered a train ride that was 35 minutes. There was a news story on the union workers who run the commuter rail (The MBTA) and their health insurance. They have not had an increase in their premiums since 1984. The MBTA tried to institute an increase and they threatened to strike. Having workers pay health insurance rates from 1984 in 2010 is "reasonable"- wouldn't you agree Sid? Meanwhile, the conductors on the commuter rail earn around 75K per year. That's not bad for a guy with a high school diploma who walks up and down saying "tickets please" and then sits down and reads the news paper for the rest of the ride. Then we have the toll collectors on the Mass. Turnpike who are paid as much as 80K per year and receive some of the most extravagant benefits known to man including massive vacation and sick time, tip top of the line health care, and lifetime pensions. That's right- you collect tolls on the pike and they pay you for life. That's not too shabby for standing there and making change which is a job that's less complicated than pumping gas. Meanwhile tolls have increased dramatically and our governor has been trying to bump up the gas tax to pay for the massive debt load of the MBTA and the Turnpike Authority. It now costs me $9.30 in tolls for a round trip to the airport which is about 50 miles. That's a good snap shot of why the Tea Party hates union workers- they are bleeding us dry.

Go Union!!!!!!!!!
GREAT post!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I have run construction jobs that used both Union, in Canada, and non-union workers to do essentially the same job of moving and storing heavy machinery. I did not have to tell the Union guys how to do their jobs. I had to teach the non union guys how to do most everything.

The reason for hiring a Union Plumber is his work does not leak. The reason for hiring a Union Electrician is your house won't burn down or a miswired outlet won't kill you in the bathroom.

The primary reason for union workers is to prevent the owners of industry from turning everyone into a slave.

SOLIDARITY – WE NEED THE ONE BIG UNION!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have run construction jobs that used both Union, in Canada, and non-union workers to do essentially the same job of moving and storing heavy machinery. I did not have to tell the Union guys how to do their jobs. I had to teach the non union guys how to do most everything.

The reason for hiring a Union Plumber is his work does not leak. The reason for hiring a Union Electrician is your house won't burn down or a miswired outlet won't kill you in the bathroom.

The primary reason for union workers is to prevent the owners of industry from turning everyone into a slave.

Plumbers and electricians are licensed and insured. You don't get a license and stay in business without knowing what you're doing. Non-union workers are just as productive if not more because they actually have to earn raises instead of the unions strong arming their employers for them.

The millions of "slaves" in the private sector are laughing at people like you. Not even a good try- epic fail

Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 AM

17,337 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Bull.

Complete and utter bullcrap.

Slaves? Seriously? Because the last time I checked, non-union workers weren't enslaved to their bosses. The FLSA will pretty much take care of that.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Bull.

Complete and utter bullcrap.

Slaves? Seriously? Because the last time I checked, non-union workers weren't enslaved to their bosses. The FLSA will pretty much take care of that.

If I could rep you again on this one I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.