Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not advocating that it shouldn't be permitted. I'm asserting that it's a massive act of narcissism, which I find to be a bit elitist at the very core.

Case in point: Theresa Heinz-Kerry. Gee, I wonder why she wanted to keep the "Heinz" in her last name? She couldn't go around without making sure people know who she is! That would be atroscious!
Because her late husband Senator Heinz is paying all the bills.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:49 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
You conservatives sure let a lot of things bother you...
If you don't think like them, act like the, look like them or worship like them it bothers them. They got a lot of things bothering them these days and they'll have a lot more in the future.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
I would think that there is a certain amount of astute logic in the inclusion of those prefixed racial or ethnic connotative designations.
After all, how else could the desk sergeant indicate and describe to the patrol officers in their squad cars, just whom it is that they are issuing
those APB's about?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
I wonder, if a white guy from South Africa moves to the US, is he considered an African-American?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I'm a German-American. I was born in Germany and emigrated to America when I was 11. I think I should rightfully be able to be proud of my German ancestry AND be proud of being an American. Should I give up the first 11 or so years of my life simply because I moved? I do not force anyone to be German... but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my heritage.

As for the last name, I will keep my maiden name and hyphenate it with my future husbands name. I've worked too damn hard and have quite a bit of recognition with my current name to give it all up to appease people who demand I be 'traditional'. All of my accomplishments are in my name...they will continue to be in my name.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
This is like the dumbest thread ever.

You guys can't tell if you're talking about hyphenated surnames, hyphenated ethnic labels, or just hyphens.

I can't wait for the threads about how pissed off conservatives are with ampersands and tildes.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Right. My goal in life is to make sure every make, model, and color feels accepted.

No thanks. My advice to those American's is get off your ass and contribute to society in a meaningful way. That's how it works here in America. I refuse to be the Coddler of Feelings.
To infer that an American of any ethnic or racial group has not made contributions to this country is the height of ignorance, and the lack of understanding of ALL American history. Not what you read in school which is essentially WHITE-WASHED American history.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historiandude View Post
this is like the dumbest thread ever.

You guys can't tell if you're talking about hyphenated surnames, hyphenated ethnic labels, or just hyphens.

I can't wait for the threads about how pissed off conservatives are with ampersands and tildes.
**** ampersands.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
To infer that an American of any ethnic or racial group has not made contributions to this country is the height of ignorance, and the lack of understanding of ALL American history. Not what you read in school which is essentially WHITE-WASHED American history.
Nice try. There is no inference that various ethnic and racial groups have not contributed to America. That's your own self-serving bias getting in the way of objectivity. That's not my problem, that's yours. All i'm saying is that I, nor anyone else, has an obligation to make anyone feel "accepted." The only obligation that we have as Americans is to keep this country moving forward through meaningful and productive contributions to society. Infer from that all you want. It just makes you look ignorant to twist it into something its not.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The name Heinz is obviously important to her. Men aren't expected to give up their last names; I don't think women should be expected to either.

Is there anything you don't have some excuse for? Typical liberal, always making excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies