Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The answer is pretty simple. If I don't like the Holloywood or sports salaries I don't buy tickets or merchandise.
However, if I want a phone and the choices are Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint what do I do?
Don't buy a phone then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
the people bashed in this article aren't in charge of banks. only 1 is in charge of an insurance company. I posted what the majority of them lead. verizon, wal mart, johnson and johnson, ect, have no monopoly on the general public. I don't recall any of these companies getting bailouts.
I do not recall anyone screaming about these companies bonus and salary policies either. I can take issue with Walmart and Big Pharma for sure, but in general, no one has complained about them on this issue.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
My thoughts are that most people who rail against CEO's don't actually know or understand the CEO's role. But because he/she is the head of the company, he/she's is automatically assumed to have had a substantial role in the day-to-day business needs and thus makes decisions simply to enrich themselves. For those CEO's who make mega-bucks and are constantly castigated by the liberal left, this usually is not the case. Middle management is the backbone of the decision-making in a company. Those are the people who see the inefficiencies, see areas where productivity could use an adjustment, and make the recommendations for layoffs. Liberalism is all about the path of least resistance. To require these antagonists to actually understand business structure and the role of the CEO is to ask them to actually have knowledge of what they rail against. Most of the time, it's clear that they don't.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM

646 posts, read 393,862 times
also, the only CEO that made the list was verizon. I don't know too much about ATT and sprint. they really weren't part of the conversation. however, cricket and boost come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The answer is pretty simple. If I don't like the Holloywood or sports salaries I don't buy tickets or merchandise.
However, if I want a phone and the choices are Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint what do I do?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I agree that these celebs are not worth their salaries, but as long as they have fans dumb and willing to buy tickets, so be it. Athletes and actors are not in charge of insurance companies and banks that have a very direct affect and monopoly on the general public. I don't think that these people you mention get tax payer bailouts. We are not at their mercy.
To quote Chris Rock, Michael Jordan is rich, the man you pays Michael Jordan is wealthy.

To argue that celebs aren't worth their salaries is more than a bit ridiculous. They are not workers, they are products, products which reap far more in profits than what they are paid. Unlike CEO's you can quantify how much a particular actor, sports super star or other product endorser adds to a companies bottom line. Is the money paid to these people out of line with the reality of most Americans most definitely, but you have to ask what is the value added, the percentage of profit minus cost that they represent for the company that pays them?

http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~kamak...dorsements.pdf

Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

here it is. it's a huffpo whinefest.

The 10 Highest-Paid CEOs Who Laid Off The Most Workers: Institute For Policy Studies (PHOTOS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I do not recall anyone screaming about these companies bonus and salary policies either. I can take issue with Walmart and Big Pharma for sure, but in general, no one has complained about them on this issue.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM

ridiculous. actors are individuals. to refer to them as products, makes you sound like a slave master. your deferring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
To quote Chris Rock, Michael Jordan is rich, the man you pays Michael Jordan is wealthy.

To argue that celebs aren't worth their salaries is more than a bit ridiculous. They are not workers, they are products, products which reap far more in profits than what they are paid. Unlike CEO's you can quantify how much a particular actor, sports super star or other product endorser adds to a companies bottom line. Is the money paid to these people out of line with the reality of most Americans most definitely, but you have to ask what is the value added, the percentage of profit minus cost that they represent for the company that pays them?

http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~kamak...dorsements.pdf

Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
the salary of professional athletes or actors. CEO's are in charge of companies that produce actual needs. I was looking at a recent thread, basically trashing CEO's for taking too much money and laying people off. some of those companies include, verizon, ford, walmart, IBM, hewlett packard, and johnson and johnson. how come there is no outrage over the following people, who do absolutely nothing for society? first I will include the highest paid CEO from the huffington post's article.

fred hassan- $49,653,063

he makes much more than #2 on the huffington post's hate list

william wendon- $25,569,844

here are some of the annual incomes from some athletes and entertainers.

actors:

harrison ford- $65,000,000
adam sandler- $55,000,000
will smith-$45,000,000
eddie murphy- $45,000,000
nicholas cage- $40,000,000

athletes:

tiger woods- $91,000,000
phil mickelson- $62,000,000
floyd mayweather- $60,000,000
lebron james- $46,000,000
alex rodriguez- $37,000,000

music:

U2- $130,000,000
ACDC- $114,000,000
beyonce- $87,000,000
bruce springsteen- $70,000,000
britney spears- $64,000,000.

ok, for the comparison, the CEO of wal mart makes a little over $19,000,000 in a year. wal mart also employs 2.1 million people. tiger woods and harrison ford probably employ about 200 people total. so two men, who employ a couple hundred people make $156,000,000, and the CEO of walmart, who makes $19,000,000, and employs over two million americans, is the bad guy. anyone care to explain, or discuss?
Walmart is a retail sweat shop. Take if from there. They employ that many people because, that many people are desperate to work in this country and they will work anywhere they can in order to just survive. So, they put up with Walmart, hoping the economy will turn loose the rest of that money, so they can leave.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
the salary of professional athletes or actors. CEO's are in charge of companies that produce actual needs. I was looking at a recent thread, basically trashing CEO's for taking too much money and laying people off. some of those companies include, verizon, ford, walmart, IBM, hewlett packard, and johnson and johnson. how come there is no outrage over the following people, who do absolutely nothing for society? first I will include the highest paid CEO from the huffington post's article.

fred hassan- $49,653,063

he makes much more than #2 on the huffington post's hate list

william wendon- $25,569,844

here are some of the annual incomes from some athletes and entertainers.

actors:

harrison ford- $65,000,000
adam sandler- $55,000,000
will smith-$45,000,000
eddie murphy- $45,000,000
nicholas cage- $40,000,000

athletes:

tiger woods- $91,000,000
phil mickelson- $62,000,000
floyd mayweather- $60,000,000
lebron james- $46,000,000
alex rodriguez- $37,000,000

music:

U2- $130,000,000
ACDC- $114,000,000
beyonce- $87,000,000
bruce springsteen- $70,000,000
britney spears- $64,000,000.

ok, for the comparison, the CEO of wal mart makes a little over $19,000,000 in a year. wal mart also employs 2.1 million people. tiger woods and harrison ford probably employ about 200 people total. so two men, who employ a couple hundred people make $156,000,000, and the CEO of walmart, who makes $19,000,000, and employs over two million americans, is the bad guy. anyone care to explain, or discuss?
You know what I applaud the accomplishments of these people. They worked hard, they are at the top of their professions. If you are the best in the world at what you do you should be paid accordingly.

My issue isn't their pay. It's a corporate structure that pays their top executives extremely high salaries and basically offers non- executive employees pay increases that are even with or slightly above inflation if that. Executive decisions and strategy make in many cases hundreds of millions or perhaps billions of dollars. My whole beef is that there is no sense of fair play in most of in Corporate America. If a company’s net yearly income is $100 million dollars what is so wrong about taking $10 million of that and distributing evenly amongst all of the non-executive employees? The company is NOT going to go broke, the executives continue to get their pay and perks the employees get a reward for contributing to the success of the company.

There are two things stopping this. One is that some many corporate workers have been indoctrinated into no coming together and standing up for their rights or better working conditions (And Nope I not necessarily talking about unions) that companies just walk all over workers. The second thing is just downright GREED. To make the amount of money that is being made in America today and not show more consideration toward rewarding non-executives for their contributions to the success of a company you REALLY got to be one incredibly greedy group of people.

People can vilify Wall Street all they want but at least they will compensate most of their non-executive employees with bonuses when their companies do well. More American companies should follow suit.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times
All we broke unemployed folk (and there's plenty of us) out here go to the movies (we rent dvd's) or are buying music. But not going to concerts or sporting events anymore.

All those who haven't (and possibly won't) feel the full aspect of this recession are going to those concerts and sporting events.

All the while no one seems to really give a crap about the high unemployment numbers. Or why? Which is why these CEO's are coming under such fire. It's all about finger pointing and blame shifting instead of truth and solutions.

Anyway, it's the grave mismanagement from our government that has us in this mess. The CEO's of banks and businesses were the ones that gladly played along.

Albeit, I believe the entertainment and sporting industries could lower prices of movies, (theater and dvds) music (cd's and concerts), and sporting event tickets simply due to the high volume of people that purchase these items on a regular basis. And a lot more of us used to. It's hard to believe that these actors and professional athletes are still taking in that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies