Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
AHHH the empathy from the family values crowd is astounding.

I do not pretend to have the answers but, I cannot condone sentencing those who are poor & sick to death if in need of a transplant.
Has anyone condoned a "death sentence"? Please.....overdramatic don't you think. Please show me in the Constitution where it states "and transplants for all" under the enumerated powers of the federal government. Please indicate where in the AZ constitution they are required to provide complete heathcare for anyone who cannot afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
AHHH the empathy from the family values crowd is astounding.

I do not pretend to have the answers but, I cannot condone sentencing those who are poor & sick to death if in need of a transplant.
It is one thing to have empathy. It is quite another to allow an entire state to be financially crippled by it.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Has anyone condoned a "death sentence"? Please.....overdramatic don't you think. Please show me in the Constitution where it states "and transplants for all" under the enumerated powers of the federal government. Please indicate where in the AZ constitution they are required to provide complete heathcare for anyone who cannot afford it.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I think this could apply to health care.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
And in most cases hospitals and doctors are willing to work with these people to reduce costs, communities and churches rally to raise funds, specific hospitals provide care to those who cannot afford it.

This thread was supposed to specifically address why AZ cannot afford to provide for everyone. At some point people have to make choices between wants and needs. I place needs at the top of my personal financial decisions. Among those "needs" is a plan to pay for my healthcare (for the rest of my life). I think too few people actually do this. I could be wrong but that is not what I see when people cry for taxpayer funded healthcare entitlements.

It would be intellectually dishonest to state that the cost to the state of AZ (and thereby the AZ taxpayer) by illegal aliens did not play a role in their budget shortages and decisions such as this one not to fund certain transplants. I know this is a real tough crow for the pro-amnesty open borders folks to swallow; but, there you have it.
My point in this thread was to address the fact that the poor will pay with their lives for various reasons.
Some people HAVE saved for health care & sometimes it is not enough or they can't afford to save.
For your information I am NOT pro-amnesty by any means.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
If you don't think NOT getting a transplant because one doesn't have the funds isn't a "death sentence" Then I can't help ya.

Hmmm I'm remembering all the hoopla about "death panels" I guess people only got upset about THAT when they thought it could happen to them, this is just the poor so who cares?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I think this could apply to health care.
Unfortunately some only believe that "promoting the general welfare" ONLY applies to themselves. Screw the sick & poor>

"They shouldn't have gotten sick-they should have saved more money-they should have had higher paying jobs-they made bad choices-etc,etc.

I am beginning to believe some people just don't want to hear about this because they are afraid. "But for the grace of God" stuff.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Yep, risky behavior or having sexual partners with risky behaviors has its consequences. I do feel bad for those who have contracted their Hep. C via blood transfusions as they are the unwilling victims of those with bad behavior.
Yes, Hepatitis C was created by people having sex and as a result of risky behaviors. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Of course most studies show no link between sexual activity and Hepatitis C but hey, why should that stand in way of overloaded anal orifice.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
The conditions of eligibility for AHCCCS Care are:
• Valid application;
• Cooperation in providing information needed for eligibility determination;
• Resident of Arizona;
• Social Security number;
• U.S. citizen or appropriate non-citizen status;
• Not in a penal institution;
• Apply for potential benefits;
• Assignment of rights to medical benefits and cooperation; and
• Income at or below 100% of the FPL.
Bolding mine.

Source: AHCCCS Eligibility Manual (http://www.azahcccs.gov/shared/Downloads/EligibilityManual/EPM_AllChapters_Internet.pdf - broken link) (PDF)

Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I heard on the radio of another hospital doing kidney dialysis for the illegals and how they are going broke. Instead they are flying them "home" as it's cheaper than the dialysis treatment.

Needless to say..the dialysis does not resume in Mexico because they have to pay for their healthcare there.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I heard on the radio of another hospital doing kidney dialysis for the illegals and how they are going broke. Instead they are flying them "home" as it's cheaper than the dialysis treatment.

Needless to say..the dialysis does not resume in Mexico because they have to pay for their healthcare there.
Illegals that get care at the hospitals is only a small factor as to why the state had to cut health care for the poor. BAD decisions is a bigger reason.
One I can think of is the selling of the state owned buildings & then leasing them back. That just helped to adjust the real #'s & the unnecessary spending. Now they will pay millions in rent payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies