Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,824,896 times

Advertisements

The biggest threat to America is not Islam...its Obama and his supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Good article on religion as a whole. Also look at the comment by Dr. Eckert.

Jamahiri Comment: The Divine Can Never Separate Humanity

First paragrpah:
Sometimes I think that what is termed "ideology" under a form of any kind of "ism" and actually also religion under the form of "dogmatic religion" does so much to separate humanity that the good it seems to do is negligible because of warfare. See, there is the word RELIGION... but it has nothing to do with the relationship to the Supreme highest Being, or does it? Religion is just a word to be used to wage "war on terror and cultures" these days. Can one not see how this very word is surrounded by fabricated stories none of which are true and none of which can't replace our own relationship to the Divine or even to each other?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Good article on religion as a whole. Also look at the comment by Dr. Eckert.

Jamahiri Comment: The Divine Can Never Separate Humanity

First paragrpah:
Sometimes I think that what is termed "ideology" under a form of any kind of "ism" and actually also religion under the form of "dogmatic religion" does so much to separate humanity that the good it seems to do is negligible because of warfare. See, there is the word RELIGION... but it has nothing to do with the relationship to the Supreme highest Being, or does it? Religion is just a word to be used to wage "war on terror and cultures" these days. Can one not see how this very word is surrounded by fabricated stories none of which are true and none of which can't replace our own relationship to the Divine or even to each other?
Not a bad article, but for a "Dr." (Phd?), I find it interesting that I could do the same with him that I did with jamalc.

When I was in college, for majors like Theology, Journalism, Archaeology, Anthropology, Political Science, and a few others, papers that were turned in, were also graded on grammar. The idea was to instill, in students, the concept that a higher level of writing skill would indicate a higher level of learning, and therefore, a better and more believable authority on a given subject. Poor or incorrect grammar would be fitting of the National Inquirer, while proper grammar (and spelling) might get you into the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal.

Before you say anything about the difference between "learning" and "education". Some years ago, the national media talked about "functionally-illiterate high school graduates". About four years later, the same media was talking about "functionally-illiterate college graduates". So, if you take a "fully-comprehended" associate degree versus a "functionally-illiterate" bachelor's degree, which has a higher level of learning?

While there is not much in the article that I would try to challenge, his writing skills make me wonder about his credentials. There is an organization from which I can get a "Certificate of Ordination". And, if I am starting my own branch of Evangelism, I can also claim a Phd, because no one in the world knows more about that branch than I do. That does not mean I've "earned" that degree.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Not a bad article, but for a "Dr." (Phd?), I find it interesting that I could do the same with him that I did with jamalc.

When I was in college, for majors like Theology, Journalism, Archaeology, Anthropology, Political Science, and a few others, papers that were turned in, were also graded on grammar. The idea was to instill, in students, the concept that a higher level of writing skill would indicate a higher level of learning, and therefore, a better and more believable authority on a given subject. Poor or incorrect grammar would be fitting of the National Inquirer, while proper grammar (and spelling) might get you into the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal.

Before you say anything about the difference between "learning" and "education". Some years ago, the national media talked about "functionally-illiterate high school graduates". About four years later, the same media was talking about "functionally-illiterate college graduates". So, if you take a "fully-comprehended" associate degree versus a "functionally-illiterate" bachelor's degree, which has a higher level of learning?

While there is not much in the article that I would try to challenge, his writing skills make me wonder about his credentials. There is an organization from which I can get a "Certificate of Ordination". And, if I am starting my own branch of Evangelism, I can also claim a Phd, because no one in the world knows more about that branch than I do. That does not mean I've "earned" that degree.
Yes, I assume English is his second language - but he gets his point across just fine.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Yes, I assume English is his second language - but he gets his point across just fine.
That thought did cross my mind, but again, the level of language skill does have an effect on one's preception of the author's level of learning. If I were going to publish a paper that would be read in another country, it would be translated by someone that would make it read as though a native of that country wrote it. He may have used computer translation software, too. I've noticed that they are less than completely accurate in the receptive language. Perhaps, in the near future, they will be developed to a greater degree of accuracy.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM

468 posts, read 553,203 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Your religion is being maligned, or painted as inherently evil, something we must fear. We are led to believe muslims are less than human, with no reverence for life. I no longer believe this to be true overall. Many westerners would be surprised to learn that Christians, Jews, and Muslims live together peacefully in Iran. Iran's issue is not with the Jews, but with the Zionists - there is a difference.
Nowhere near that simple, but that's exactly what muslims and their leaders want you to believe. Apathy, ignorance and tolerance to their intolerance are their crucial weapons. Oh, and Liberalism.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...harassing.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...00-thanks.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ied-being.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...implement.html

And no, I'm not pro zio wars or anything. But these people practise ideologies that are naturally violent and produce low impulse control with barbaric systems of society. And they are good at spreading especially with all the stupid people today. You think muslims really care if some thug practises properly or not? No, the leaders care that they identify as muslims and defend their religion to benefit them. They all say: "we're not ALL like that, we don't support that" afterwards, even as they gladly reap the products of their fellow muslims' actions.

You're spouting the hysteria of muslims & libs; no one is asking you to "believe muslims are less than human". What garbage. And many muslims themselves have "no reverence for life". When that form of braindead enters a population, it is difficult to go back. Look at its destruction of populations and cultures across history. Bottom line: everywhere across the world, not just Europe but anywhere they settle, they are increasingly becoming bolder, importing more strict forms of practising from muslim into nonmuslim nations to mould the lax muslim population into fanatics who demand more & more subservience to islam and their practises. Whilst muslims themselves & their nations give ZERO tolerance to others. Oh & they love to cry 'persecution, islamophobia' against justified criticism whilst exploiting problems to find stupid converts & scare their naive followers into staying.

When will people buy a clue? People of the world today have more than just one problem to deal with. Islam is definitely one of them.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 AM

82 posts, read 167,431 times
It's politics and tribalism that divides people more than anything. Those that are of a particular sect, denomination, or race will often use religion as a tool to take control. Yes it's happened in Islam too, as it has among every faith community. Those of you who are Christian should be ashamed to deny that Christians have not been involved in doing this.

Islam is a universal faith, just like Christianity. Muslims are found in every nation and among every racial group in the world. Americans are very ill informed of this. At my Mosque in Georgia ( as it was in Chicago, California..etc) ..we have people from fourty different nations. American whites, blacks, spanish, as well as people from Asia, Africa, Europe, the Caribbean...etc. But many of you dont know this because you dont worship with Muslims and you depend on media to feed you your sources. If you want to know something , go to the source. If i want to know about algebra, i dont go to a literature teacher, you go to a math teacher who knows algebra. Same as with any faith. Im a member of an interfaith community that bridge and promote understanding, unity and respect for one another.

I fine that misunderstanding comes often from fears, ignorance, and prejudice. If you want to understand islam, again go to the source. Learn to meet Muslims, talk with them, get the Holy Qur'an. Again if you want to know about Jehovah Witnesses you dont go to a Lutheran Church....so to know anything about Islam at least make some effort to meet and discuss with Muslims.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
It's politics and tribalism that divides people more than anything. Those that are of a particular sect, denomination, or race will often use religion as a tool to take control. Yes it's happened in Islam too, as it has among every faith community. Those of you who are Christian should be ashamed to deny that Christians have not been involved in doing this.

Islam is a universal faith, just like Christianity. Muslims are found in every nation and among every racial group in the world. Americans are very ill informed of this. At my Mosque in Georgia ( as it was in Chicago, California..etc) ..we have people from fourty different nations. American whites, blacks, spanish, as well as people from Asia, Africa, Europe, the Caribbean...etc. But many of you dont know this because you dont worship with Muslims and you depend on media to feed you your sources. If you want to know something , go to the source. If i want to know about algebra, i dont go to a literature teacher, you go to a math teacher who knows algebra. Same as with any faith. Im a member of an interfaith community that bridge and promote understanding, unity and respect for one another.

I fine that misunderstanding comes often from fears, ignorance, and prejudice. If you want to understand islam, again go to the source. Learn to meet Muslims, talk with them, get the Holy Qur'an. Again if you want to know about Jehovah Witnesses you dont go to a Lutheran Church....so to know anything about Islam at least make some effort to meet and discuss with Muslims.
What went on 500 years ago doesn't matter now right now in the argument. What's done is done and we've moved on.

There is no widely-practiced Christian equivalent of Islam's Sharia Law. NONE.

There is NO comparison. It's a diversion. The OP's post was about the dangers of Sharia Law, it being the total opposite of Western ideals and freedom, and the fact that despite this fact, too many don't see it as a threat because they are too busy trying to be politically correct.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 AM

82 posts, read 167,431 times
Most Americans are good people, but are hypocrites in matters of faith. The same moral and spiritual values found in the Bible are in the Qu'ran. The difference is majority of Muslims take the laws of God more serious than Christians. Many Christians don't have a problem with drinking alcohol, eating pork, breaking the Sabbath, uncovering themselves, homosexuality, dating and fornicating. I mean these are common practices in American culture...right? But in Islamic belief and practice a person would be deemed a hypocrite, because these things are contrary to divine law and stricture. The "sharia law" that Americans claim to fear is including the ten commandments, yet how many Christians even know this. The ten commandments is Sharia. People have been deceived greatly by the media, and false lying politicians, and preachers.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
Most Americans are good people, but are hypocrites in matters of faith. The same moral and spiritual values found in the Bible are in the Qu'ran. The difference is majority of Muslims take the laws of God more serious than Christians. Many Christians don't have a problem with drinking alcohol, eating pork, breaking the Sabbath, uncovering themselves, homosexuality, dating and fornicating. I mean these are common practices in American culture...right? But in Islamic belief and practice a person would be deemed a hypocrite, because these things are contrary to divine law and stricture. The "sharia law" that Americans claim to fear is including the ten commandments, yet how many Christians even know this. The ten commandments is Sharia. People have been deceived greatly by the media, and false lying politicians, and preachers.
Thou shalt not kill.

Sharia is an epic failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies