Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Most Victorian-era houses were built without electricity.

depends...prior to 1890 yes...from 1890-1930 would be either open wire on metal cleats (not very safe) or the 'knot and tube' which can still be found in some period homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
^^^What you just cited happened in the 1990's that trend has greatly reversed in the past 10 years. Greatly.

People are upgrading insulation and windows, using more efficient appliances and hvac, purchasing/driving more efficient vehicles, taking "staycations", reducing the amount of "stuff" consumed, more recycling-repurposing conscience. Granted, much of these reductions are economically generated but saving green in the form of $$ includes conservation (being less wasteful).
I don't know, the SUV's that I see every day are much bigger and they are new or newer than 1990's.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I don't know, the SUV's that I see every day are much bigger and they are new or newer than 1990's.
Maybe that is a regional thing. In my area the SUV's are newer (higher mph), many are hybrids, most large SUV's have been replaced by crossovers. I rarely see an SUV manufactured prior to 2002 on the road. Pick-ups are another matter but I'm in an area where people use trucks for work. Actually from what I am hearing the older diesel pickups got better gas mileage than some of the newer ones.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
yes the SUV ITSELF may be bigger...but the engine and drivetrain are much more economical

big difference between a 350cid engine of 1980 with a carburator and a distributor, and a 305cid engine with electronic ignition/fuel injection

Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
ok folks, these explosions are definitely eco-terrorism. You would have to be born in the last 5 minutes not to know this. How many coincidences have to happen before it is not a coincidence anymore? Let's see, this is the 4th oil accident since Obama stated he would allow drilling.

1. Transocean explosion
2. A tugboat supposedly hit a well head in the Gulf just after the Transocean explosion
3. The Kalamazoo river
4. Now this one

Wake the hell up people!!!!!! This is terrorism 100%!!
Wow, you sure like to jump to conclusions with no facts to back them up. In the case of the Kalamazoo River, for example, the oil leak was caused by a poorly maintained section of the pipe.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
most houses were much bigger 80 years ago
average victorian house...over 3000sf
average 4 square colonial (what I own).......nearly 4000sf

just because they built bungalows in the 40-s and 50's and people want to expand them, doesnt mean its just a thing of today
The question was 10 years ago, not 80 years ago.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I find this interesting I don't know if its an accident or on purpose.
Oh, let's just dream up wacky conspiracy theories, seems to keep many folks amused.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The oil rig was closed... That didnt stop 13 people from being on board and being in danger.. LUCKILY, no one got hurt, but it just shows how ridiculous the moratorium is.

You can ignore this fact but this PROVES the conservatives were right.. Not liberals.. CLOSING the wells dont = safety..
If it was closed (I will read the facts for myself in a bit) then why would opening it make it safer? It would not. There would be more people on the rig and it would be in use and able to cause more damage. Common sense tells me that, sorry that you are not able to come to that obvious conclusion.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
^^^What you just cited happened in the 1990's that trend has greatly reversed in the past 10 years. Greatly.
Please cite.

SUVs and other gas guzzlers only lost popularity after the prices of gasoline skyrocketed a few years ago. Prior to that, they were still extremely popular, and they've started to increase in popularity once again now that gasoline prices have backed off.

All new residential construction of single family homes that I have seen throughout my part of the country has been jumbo sized. Only very recently has the trend towards somewhat smaller homers taken hold (assuming you believe media reports...and we all know how that goes), although I have yet to see a single example of a newly constructed smaller home community. And I certainly have not, and probably never will, see any tear downs being replaced with something smaller than what was there.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Yep. You can thank Thomas Edison for getting the USA off of whale oil as an energy source for lighting! He didn't need any government subsidy either.
I do not believe that the Victorians had computers, TV's, air conditioning, washers, dryers, dish washers, DVD players, stereos, video games, technology that needed charging, vacuum cleaners, hair blowers, electric garage doors, etc. So as horrible as the use of whale oil was from an ecological and humane standpoint, there was never a need for the amount of oil that we greedily demand nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies