Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

What about the people who speak other languages? Isn't it discrimination to favor Spanish as the only alternate language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good luck with that.

Becoming a cranky old geezer is as unavoidable as body parts heading south, getting up in the middle of the night 15 times to go to the bathroom, and not being able to find your keys. (Hint: They're in the vegetable drawer of your fridge.)

Now where's my %$&% discount!?

Actually, I ease the stress by yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn. hehehehe

Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
The only problem I see is when people don't learn English and thus don't get a job and receive benefits.
Is English the official language of the US?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK, just a rant…but, is anyone here tired of:

“Press one for English” on the options for customer service? I mean, why is that even an option in the US?

Certain areas of major cities where there are no English signage, or English is not spoken at all?

The first words out of some people’s mouths are “Habla Espanol”?

Telemarketing calls in a language other than English?

You call a business and the switchboard operator doesn’t speak English?

People who are citizens of this country who do not speak English, and refuse to learn?

I don’t expect people to give up their cultures when seeking citizenship of this country. But, for crying out loud, at least make an effort to learn the language. My forefathers came from Europe, and learned the language, they had to. And I can guarantee you that anyone wishing to move or do business in a country other than the US will have to learn the native language.

Or, maybe I just need a vacation.
I am sure you need a vacation since you have finally posted something I could agree with wholeheartedly. Thanks for the wise words, old man.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

“Press one for English” on the options for customer service? I mean, why is that even an option in the US?

Certain areas of major cities where there are no English signage, or English is not spoken at all?

People who are citizens of this country who do not speak English, and refuse to learn?

I don’t expect people to give up their cultures when seeking citizenship of this country. But, for crying out loud, at least make an effort to learn the language. My forefathers came from Europe, and learned the language, they had to. And I can guarantee you that anyone wishing to move or do business in a country other than the US will have to learn the native language.

boy do i agree with this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Send in the clows View Post
If I'm lucky to live to old age, I hope I don't become a cranky old geezer Archie Bunker type who complains about "the good ole days" long gone. I prefer to spend my golden years enjoying myself and not whining and being bitter.
hey becoming a cranky old archie bunker type geezer is what life is all about, and its fun too.

Quote:
Actually, I ease the stress by yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn. hehehehe
hopefully you are pointing a shotgun at them when you say it.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 AM

571 posts, read 943,597 times
I see what you're saying, and agree, but it's a dumb thing to get all worked up about. Yes, we're in America, and you should speak English; however, there are other issues I worry much more about than this.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I see what you're saying, and agree, but it's a dumb thing to get all worked up about. Yes, we're in America, and you should speak English; however, there are other issues I worry much more about than this.
Do you realize how hard most of those LEGAL immigrants of the late 19th and early 20th century worked to learn the language so they could feel like real citizens? With the PC crap we have had during the late progressive period we have made it easy for illegals and for legals, but it is the illegals I hate pandering to.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Old man you better believe that it is really great to be able to rep you for something you said, since that so seldom happens with me. It is a really big thing in that I had a reply typed, nearly, and my computer froze up so I am doing it again.

We should be insistent about this crap and should be using English only to do business.

My dentist practices in a city with heavy illegal immigrant population and very few of them have bothered to learn English. Therefore, he has to hire receptionists who can shift gears between the languages with so much ease that I can't believe it. He has had to hire a dental technician who is very fluent in Spanish to explain any really detailed work he wants to do on patients. I listened to her throwing out that Spanish for at least 30 minutes one day and she told me that he still didn't understand because he had never learned any oral hygiene although he was over 40.

All of these women say that they demand that only Spanish be spoken in their houses by family members so their kids can be as good at switching back and forth as they are, themselves. These women were born in the area, except for one whose mother brought her here when she was about 2. All citizens but so great to listen to shifting back and forth. They agree with us about that having to punch 1 thing, too.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I see that you don't live very close to any really compact groups of illegal aliens.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
In 10 years we will all need to know Spanish and have to push 2 to hear it in English!
We need stronger laws which require resident & citizen applicants to learn English in order to live & work in the USA. If not, than these companies that deal with non speaking English patrons, need to hire an interpreter and pay them what the average interpreter makes. To force the “legal” US citizen to speak a new language is Discrimination based on language.
We should not prefer any other nation's language over another, and should speak one national language. Because this is a free country, you can speak your native language wherever if you wish- but you shouldn't expect everyone to learn your language and accomodate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies