Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Yea O.K.. The same way Ozzy Osbourne is responsible for that teen suicide back...

In 1985, California teenager John McCollum committed suicide while listening to Ozzy Osbourne's "Suicide Solution." The song deals with the dangers of alcohol abuse. McCollums' suicide led to allegations that Osbourne promoted suicide in his songs. Despite knowing McCollum suffered clinical depression, his parents sued Ozzy Osbourne (McCollum v. CBS[71]) for their son's death, claiming the lyrics in the song, "Where to hide, suicide is the only way out. Don't you know what it's really about?" convinced McCollum to commit suicide. The family's lawyer suggested that Osbourne should be criminally charged for encouraging a young person to commit suicide, but the courts ruled in Osbourne's favor, saying there was no connection between the song and McCollum's suicide. Osbourne was sued for the same reason in 1991 (Waller v. Osbourne), by the parents of Michael Waller, for $9 million, but the courts ruled in Osbourne's favor in that case as well.[72] One critic claims that Osbourne sings "Get the gun, get the gun, shoot, shoot, shoot," a charge firmly denied by him.

Ozzy Osbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't keep an eye on all the loons. (Or can we? )
Ozzy = Vice President Gore ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:02 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Yea O.K.. The same way Ozzy Osbourne is responsible for that teen suicide back...

In 1985, California teenager John McCollum committed suicide while listening to Ozzy Osbourne's "Suicide Solution." The song deals with the dangers of alcohol abuse. McCollums' suicide led to allegations that Osbourne promoted suicide in his songs. Despite knowing McCollum suffered clinical depression, his parents sued Ozzy Osbourne (McCollum v. CBS[71]) for their son's death, claiming the lyrics in the song, "Where to hide, suicide is the only way out. Don't you know what it's really about?" convinced McCollum to commit suicide. The family's lawyer suggested that Osbourne should be criminally charged for encouraging a young person to commit suicide, but the courts ruled in Osbourne's favor, saying there was no connection between the song and McCollum's suicide. Osbourne was sued for the same reason in 1991 (Waller v. Osbourne), by the parents of Michael Waller, for $9 million, but the courts ruled in Osbourne's favor in that case as well.[72] One critic claims that Osbourne sings "Get the gun, get the gun, shoot, shoot, shoot," a charge firmly denied by him.

Ozzy Osbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't keep an eye on all the loons. (Or can we? )
Not a good example, that song was about killing yourself through alcoholism to which Ozzy struggled with. It is very clear in the song that this is the case. This court case was nothing more than a political group trying to use the incident to further their cause.

While it can be argued that Gore did not specifically encourage voilence, the topic is climate change, he promoted doing something about it and has pushed for the political road blocking of the people concerning those they deem the offenders.

This isn't an issue of mistaken words or understanding in concept as your example is.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Al Gore calls for movement to address climate change » peoplesworld

"Around the world, when politicians fail to act to solve the climate crisis, people are taking action," wrote Gore.
"It is my hope we see activism like this here in the United States," he writes.

How long do we let this fraud go unchecked ? He is the Arafat of America .
He forgot to add, "so I can get richer."

I think the gunman's brother-in-law said he went off the deep end after seeing An Inconvenient Truth.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
If it were Palin and not Gore that said it ...
People do listen to him he used to be the vice president.
Yes, after he invented the internet and before he invented Gore-ball warming. Both happened in his basement. Seems the only time he comes out anymore is to attack some masseuse like a sex crazed poodle. But, at least he, Carter and Obama have that Nobel prize thingy in common. I wonder how much $$ Tipper is going to take away in the divorce?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Ozzy = Vice President Gore ?
People can talk all day long, and some nut will come out of the woodwork blaming someone else for their insanity.

Gore = Inciting Violence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not a good example, that song was about killing yourself through alcoholism to which Ozzy struggled with. It is very clear in the song that this is the case. This court case was nothing more than a political group trying to use the incident to further their cause.

While it can be argued that Gore did not specifically encourage voilence, the topic is climate change, he promoted doing something about it and has pushed for the political road blocking of the people concerning those they deem the offenders.

This isn't an issue of mistaken words or understanding in concept as your example is.
The song is anti-suicide. Have you even heard 'Suicide Solution'? And the title of this thread, or it's contents, has nothing to do with climate change. Al Gore has an Army, about as much as OZZY will have a satanic uprising. Try and sue Al Gore in court for inciting violence and see how that goes. Get it yet? Conspiracy? Hello?

And as to the bold red letters... that's proverbially what this thread is about.

Can't spell it out any better than that.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 09-03-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Gore = Inciting Violence?

Quite funny that there were a ton of people saying that Beck was inciting violence, were you one of them too?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Al Gore calls for movement to address climate change » peoplesworld

"Around the world, when politicians fail to act to solve the climate crisis, people are taking action," wrote Gore.
"It is my hope we see activism like this here in the United States," he writes.

How long do we let this fraud go unchecked ? He is the Arafat of America .
Help...I need a message...quick!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Quite funny that there were a ton of people saying that Beck was inciting violence, were you one of them too?
No, actually. Doesn't mean he isn't off his rocker though. Or maybe he just acts that way to make mega-bucks. Either way, I don't listen to what he has to say, nor do I make assumptions.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Kinda funny that when the abortion doctor was gunned down in his church, the left was quick to blame the right that all of the anti-abortion rhetoric drove this guy to do it! LOL!!

Olberman and MSNBC went as far as to blame O'Reilly!!

So now we can't blame Al Gore for setting this guy off??

Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
The song is anti-suicide. Have you even heard 'Suicide Solution'? And the title of this thread, or it's contents, has nothing to do with climate change. Al Gore has an Army, about as much as OZZY will have a satanic uprising. Try and sue Al Gore in court for inciting violence and see how that goes. Get it yet? Conspiracy? Hello?

And as to the bold red letters... that's proverbially what this thread is about.

Can't spell it out any better than that.

Yes, I was listening to it when it was first released. I even pointed out that it was about killing ones self through alcoholism, so what is your contest? I said it was a bad example because your relation was that the issue with this guy was the same.

It is not. This isn't an issue of a guy misinturputing the position of the maker, it isn't an issue of misunderstanding, Gore specifically stated his cause and provoked others to take it to the streets.

There is no comparison here. There is no likeness to this incident. one is simply an idiot who shot himself with a shotgun for whatever stupid reason and blamed Ozzy and the other is an idiot who went out and did something that is "talked about" but not openly promoted by this movement. While I understand that you could hold the position that Gore didn't mean this, it all lines up and the result of it isn't too hard to understand why idiots out there are "taking it to the streets" in this manner.

As I said, bad example. They aren't the same. And if you want to contest it with me, bugger off, I met Ozzy, even talked about this song during the time with him. Your wrong... run along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies