Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A whining New Jersey woman's gripe that her precious sports car was destroyed by a suicidal man's 40-story fall triggered a venomous outpouring from his friends, neighbors and fellow New Yorkers yesterday.

"The damage to the car -- it saved his life, and that's what you should care about, not your car!" fumed Alyssa Laib, 23, whose friend, Tom Magill, 22, survived the plunge Tuesday from a West End Avenue rooftop when he crash-landed onto Maria McCormack's 2008 Dodge Charger.

Read more: Car owner's gripes about loss of Dodge Charger in suicidal plunge spark flurry of outrage - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
McCormack grumbled that life without wheels would be difficult -- and costly.

"What [the insurance company] going to give me for the car isn't enough for me to get another one, so I'll still be without a car for a while," she said. "Being without a car in Jersey is insane. At least the guy lived to tell about it, but you know it goes beyond just not having a car."

The married mom of three moaned, "The kids like to do sports and they might not be able to because I won't be able to take them to practice."
I'm not sure how much more ignorant this lady can be.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
That's brilliant ... a complete stranger is supposed to care about this guy's life, though he himself obviously didn't?

Sure, it's a bit insensitive and she probably should have kept the feelings to herself, but if I were to be completely honest, I'd be pissed too if some knucklehead crushed my car, given that it was a deliberate act, and not an accident.

It could have just as easily been another person he landed on and killed ... or the car could have had occupants that could have been injured or killed ....

It is this guy who demonstrated no concern for either himself or others ... not the woman with the crushed car.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's brilliant ... a complete stranger is supposed to care about this guy's life, though he himself obviously didn't?

Sure, it's a bit insensitive and she probably should have kept the feelings to herself, but if I were to be completely honest, I'd be pissed too if some knucklehead crushed my car, given that it was a deliberate act, and not an accident.

It could have just as easily been another person he landed on and killed ... or the car could have had occupants that could have been injured or killed ....

It is this guy who demonstrated no concern for either himself or others ... not the woman with the crushed car.
Make no mistake, I'd be pissed too but like you said, she probably should have just kept her mouth shut.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:

I have to agree. He had no concern for others, why should she have the concern for him. Her life has been significantly altered from the selfish act. I have no sympathy for the man. He chose his fate. She should sue him for the distress and loss.... Isnt that really the American way?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:

I agree. She shouldn't have said this out loud. That was stupid.

But this guy was stupid and clearly had no regard for anyone else's safety. What if someone had been in that car? He could have killed them. He could have killed anyone on the street below him.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I read that the jumper was glad that he smashed up the gas-guzzling sports car.

He said that was his intent, save that he was aiming for a Hummer, but the wind blew him off course ("Those updrafts in Manhatten can really mess with your aim"). He said that he has his eye on a Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster for next week.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yeah. Everyone always gets huffy about Hummers, but there are plenty of sports cars that get crappy mileage that no one says a thing about (like my friends were outraged that I was considering getting a Hummer, but no one says anything about my exotic that gets 11/17mpg).

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm not sure how much more ignorant this lady can be.
No kidding. Most insurance companies pay for rentals when a car is totaled; or at least, mine has on a few occasions.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree. She shouldn't have said this out loud. That was stupid.

But this guy was stupid and clearly had no regard for anyone else's safety. What if someone had been in that car? He could have killed them. He could have killed anyone on the street below him.
Suicide is a selfish act. He or his insurance company should pay. If not there is always civil court. And he thought he had a bad life before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies