Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
This is no difference than stupid parents leaving their children in hot cars. What morons would let their children go into a situation that could kill them when they know they can't swim. My sympathy is with the families but I am waiting for the lawsuit to come. It is always somebody else at fault.
The lawsuit on both types of cases, should be prison time for the parents. My exhusband and I were watching this together. Seldom do he and I agree on anything. He said, if the child is drowning and I can't swim we we'll both drown together as I just would not be able to stand there and watch. I'd have to act, I'd have to try.

The children left in hot cars, just makes me livid. There is a decline in America's birth rate, which is a good thing, since so many have their heads up their a....people need to stop having these kids. What is it about the accidents that they are becoming more and more prone to occurring?

Prison time no more accident classifications. My votes is for tough laws and prison time. Only those who are intelligent enough to know there is more to the consequences than the loss of a child at steak but the loss of the parent's life, their life, as well. Vehicular manslaughter and 3rd degree murder.

We wonder why the government feels the need to parent us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
The price of beginning swimming lessons in East Baton Rouge, LA is.... These classes are for both children and adults. And for the entire session of eight 30 minute classes over two weeks is $6.50. And that's offered through their parks and recreation department. And who can't afford to spend $6.50 for swim lessons? And if you truly can't afford to spend $6.50 per child, then you really have no business making babies in the first place.

Swimming

Quote:
2010 Learn-To-Swim Program

Swim lessons will be offered at 8:15 a.m. and between 5:30-6:45 p.m., Monday-Thursday, beginning June 7 and ending July 15. These lessons are designed for children ages 3 and up or adults who do not know how to swim. Each class will last 30 minutes and eight classes are offered per two week session. The cost for an entire session is $6.50 per person.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Lake Michigan drowning deaths this year are almost double that of last year ... most of the deaths in my particular area are from city kids who come to the lake shore and can't swim at all. Particularly disturbing was one 9 year old who drowned this year while trying to save her 6 year old sister who was pushed into the waves by some older kids ... the sisters couldn't swim at all. (In fact, the 9 year old's family is included in the link below.)

As a parent I can't for the life of me imagine letting my kids into the water without keeping an eye on them at all times - and both my kids are strong swimmers. These drownings happen year after year and I've never been able to wrap my head around the fact that the adults do not keep tabs on their kids WHO DON'T SWIM.

It's also interesting (not to mention sad) that this free swimming instruction program isn't more widely used - especially since we're a city on such a huge lake with tons of beaches.

Study: Minority kids lag behind in swimming ability - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/study-minority-kids-lag-behind-in-swimming-ability.html - broken link)

Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's also interesting (not to mention sad) that this free swimming instruction program isn't more widely used - especially since we're a city on such a huge lake with tons of beaches.

Study: Minority kids lag behind in swimming ability - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/study-minority-kids-lag-behind-in-swimming-ability.html - broken link)
From the article link you posted...

Quote:
Still, swimming classes bring other challenges for her children, Stevenson said. During the winter months, her daughter Jayla has to take extra time to dry her coarse hair after a swim, and keeps her locks tightly braided so she doesn't go to school looking unkempt.
"For African-Americans, it's about what to do with your hair every day, how to manage it," Stevenson said.
So it's not just not having access to a swimming pool or swimming classes or the cost of swimming lessons. It's also having to deal with their hair management.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
This is stunning...... My dad tossed me out of a boat and said, No demanded i swim, when I was 4 years old and at that age I knew better than to drown because dad would have killed me. I swam. Ever since I thought that was how most kids learned to swim.

By age 7 i was racing, and could beat older kids, but they all swam. Once I could hold my breath a fair time, long enough to go 100 yards submerged, and when I raced for beers in Daytona, was only beat once.

I am stunned not every American; I don't see colors, can not swim.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The statement "Black people can't swim" as a title for a BBC news article is because it's just a short title to a news story. News stories and thread titles are short and generalized by nature. Then once one gets to the meat of the topic, specifics come into play.

And blacks have been allowed to use swimming pools for many decades now. I believe that its a matter for any city parent to approach a place like the YMCA, other community center or Red Cross office in order to find swimming lessons for their children. And they really don't cost that much. Our poor people aren't really all that poor, not if they all have cellphones and wear all that bling and own all that designer wear that they do. And they also seem to spend a lot of money on styling their hairdos.

Several years ago on a car message board, someone posted pictures of Black Spring Break Week, and commented that in all the beach pictures, there were tons of black students on the beaches but not ONE of them in the water. It seemed that all the young people, especially the young women, were too busy styling and trying to look their best, and not at all interested in getting wet. As if the water was going to ruin their hairdos and makeup, or their long fake fingernails were going to fall off. It just seems that swimming is not an activity that most blacks think of doing or a skill that they think is important to have. Just my personal observation.
I guess you totally overlook my comments regarding the fact that in many inner city poor Black neighborhoods there is no access to swimming pools, NONE. Chances are if you don't have access to a swimming pool and swimming instructors you are not going to learn how to swim. If this happens across several generations then at some point you don't even stop to think that you should teach your kids to swim. It's just not a part of your life. So yes you are absolutely right. In many cases you have Black Americans that think swimming is not an important skill to have. It's a mindset that can have tragic results.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This is stunning...... My dad tossed me out of a boat...
Picking up a child that you know cannot swim and throwing him out of your boat? Can't say that "stunning" is the word that comes to mind. How'd he teach you to drive, toss you the keys and tell you to take the F-150 to kindergarten?

Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Swimming I can see because it's always good to know how to swim - but some of the political correctness is absurd.

Around here it's observed that immigrant hispanics don't go camping and hiking as much as the whites so the liberals sense a problem and scratch their heads over how they're going to get more hispanics out doing those fun outdoors kinds of things. You could almost laugh - or else feel sorry for the hispanic immigrants when some liberal drags them off their comfy sofas away from their televisions and novelas and forces them to get out and sleep at night in tents on hard ground and makes them get out and walk around for miles.

If they wanted to do it, they'd be doing it. Just like the swimming. They don't like that sport and don't want to bother with swimming lessons for their kids.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:59 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I guess you totally overlook my comments regarding the fact that in many inner city poor Black neighborhoods there is no access to swimming pools, NONE. Chances are if you don't have access to a swimming pool and swimming instructors you are not going to learn how to swim. If this happens across several generations then at some point you don't even stop to think that you should teach your kids to swim. It's just not a part of your life. So yes you are absolutely right. In many cases you have Black Americans that think swimming is not an important skill to have. It's a mindset that can have tragic results.
Did you read the article in the link I posted?

I get your argument - that non-swimming is a part of the culture of some groups. (Though I don't know if "culture" is the right word ...) But I just can't understand why, if your kids can't swim, do you allow them to go into the water AND not keep a close watch on them. It's mind boggling to me.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I fail to see what is politically incorrect about that article...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies